The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 16, 2013, 10:41 PM   #26
Double Naught Spy

The definition of mass shooting is the shooting of 4 or more people, not inclusive of the shooter. That is the definition. The definition does NOT include relationships between the people involved or location of occurence.

Quote:
I thought the way the government and media defined "mass shootings" or "spree shootings" required 4 or more victims; victims not friends or family of the shooter; not the result of another crime (such as killing hostages during a standoff with SWAT).
Media definition? You mean like their definitions for assault rifle, high powered rifle, and self shooting guns? This group of the media referred to

RT referred to this shooting as a mass shooting despite only 3 people being shot.
http://rt.com/usa/news/three-people-shot-phoenix-112/

Part of the reason for not using the media as a guide is because they are far from consistent and often inaccurate.

Government definition? I don't find a specific government definition but if we look to what a mass murderer is, it is insightful. Okay, let's look at what the FBI says...
Quote:
Generally, mass murder was described as a number of murders (four or more) occurring during the same incident, with no distinctive time period between the murders. These events typically involved a single location, where the killer murdered a number of victims in an ongoing incident (e.g. the 1984 San Ysidro McDonalds incident in San Diego, California; the 1991 Luby’s Restaurant massacre in Killeen, Texas; and the 2007 Virginia Tech murders in Blacksburg, Virginia).
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/pu...l-murder-1#two

Note that they do not stipulate lack of relationship and the mass murders described happened to be mass shooters. That the most common mass shootings discussed by the media are those most sensationalized based on the common fears of being randomly killed by strangers or killed where folks are least in control of their lives...away from home or family.

However, mass shootings frequently occur in the home, by family or friends, but also there are those that involve drive-by shootings that are NOT amongst friends or family. Those typically don't make national news either.

Similarly, mass murderers are those who kill 4 or more people in a singular episode. Lots of mass murderers are noted as folks who kill their families. If they kill their family in mass with a gun, they were mass shooters as well, just familial mass shooters.

Last edited by Double Naught Spy; February 16, 2013 at 11:21 PM.
Old February 16, 2013, 11:41 PM   #27
coachteet

Quote:
In Ohio, if they think you are carrying in a posted area, they don;t need to confront you. They can call a cop and if the officer finds you armed, you are in violation.

If the Judge finds you guilty of a minor offense, the Court can let you off with *only* a 2 year suspension of your CCW.
This is incorrect. If, for some reason, there is reason for an owner of private property to believe you have a concealed weapon (which means you have failed at actually carrying concealed, by the way) then they can call the police. So long as when an officer approaches you, you disclose immediately that you are carrying, you are only guilty of of misdemeanor trespassing. This is not cause for revoking a license.
Old February 17, 2013, 01:07 AM   #28
Jay24bal

Maybe not ethical, but I do it this way...

I am also in Ohio (Cleveland area), and most movie theaters and shopping malls around here are posted as well. However, I seem to have found a "loophole" around that.

For example, there is one mall that has a movie theater inside that I frequent. All MALL ENTRANCES are posted, but the entrances to the big box stores are NOT POSTED. Then, the entrances from the big box stores to the mall are also NOT POSTED. So I simply enter through the big box stores when going into the mall.

If the need were to ever arise that I needed my firearm, I could honestly care less about some trespassing violation. And if I were ever in trouble for carrying, they most assuredly have me on video entering through whichever entrance, which is not posted. Then I can claim ignorance since those entrances are not posted.

While the signs do carry more weight in OH than most other states, the law also says that the signs need to be "conspiciously displayed," since there not even signs on the entrances I use, I doubt I could ever be prosecuted for criminal trespassing.

Obviously I am not recommending other people violate "the spirit of the law," but as the famous saying goes, "I would rather be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old February 17, 2013, 01:28 AM   #29
Kevin Rohrer

We went to that chic flick tonight. It was so bad, I have already forgotten the title.

Anyway, there are zero NO GUNS signs on the doors, so whether a Regal theater has them or not must depend on the theater owner.

Considering the popularity of CCW permits in this area, the theater would loose way too much $$$$ if the theater was posted.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old February 17, 2013, 06:49 AM   #30
Flopsweat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay24bal
And if I were ever in trouble for carrying, they most assuredly have me on video entering through whichever entrance, which is not posted. Then I can claim ignorance since those entrances are not posted.
Good luck claiming ignorance now that you've confessed publicly.