The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 16, 2002, 12:01 AM   #1
Zander

Can this fine shotgun be rescued?

I have a beautiful Winchester Model 12/20 ga. bird gun that suffers from 'closet syndrome'. The previous owner stuck it in a closet twenty years ago and it has [actually, had] a nasty patch of rust on the circumference of the very top of the barrel...the direct result of finger contact when it was stored.

I know if I refinish the whole barrel it will destroy the collector value. Anyone have a suggestion to reblue the patch [I've cleaned it up with CLP and some 000 steel wool so that the effected spot is now "in the white"...no pitting]?

Should I try an aftermarket product to reblue the area? Or just accept the inevitable and shoot it? Other than the problem area, it's easily a 98%'er.

Thanks for any help/suggestions!
Old October 16, 2002, 07:53 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

I would first just try to touch up that area with Oxpho Blue or maybe the new product Blue Wonder. I haven't tried that yet but others are raving about it. George
Old October 16, 2002, 10:05 AM   #3
Alex Johnson

I'd probably leave it, if you want to though check out Winchester Restorations, these guys can do a complete refinish for you that would be totally appropriate. I doubt you'll get a good match with any cold blue, if the area is very large.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old October 16, 2002, 10:41 AM   #4
Walt Sherrill

By removing the rust, you've already harmed collector value. (Although it seems crazy, the rust is bad; but removing it may be just as bad if not worse.)

Having it restored -- as suggested above -- may be costly, but its not likely to greatly harm collector value, if done well, by an expert.

That said, given you've already got it down to white metal, I've had good success with Ox-Pho Blue. I've had better success mixing Ox-Pho Blue and several other cold blues, applying them successively, until I get the color I want.
Old October 16, 2002, 11:52 PM   #5
TOMBSTONE

I don't why,but I have had good experience with the cold blue chemicals by heating the metal surface before and during application.Using a very fine steel wool to polish after.I have been able to get dark color that is more even instead of blotchy.I did my barrel and I'll be damn if I can tell it apart from the factory I blendid it with.The large flat part of my reciever wasn't too shabby either although not as exceptional as with smaller areas like my barrel,but very acceptable.
Old October 19, 2002, 08:55 PM   #6
Zander

Many thanks for the suggestions!

I'll try warming the affected area and use Oxpho-Blue a couple of times to see if the match will be anywhere near the original blueing.

Will report my results...