The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 19, 2012, 07:29 PM   #1
BRRiverRat

Polychoke possible ??

Is it possible to put a Polychoke on a 18" barrel. 20 or 12 gage. What kind of pattern for HD. Can you use buckshot w/ a Polychoke?
Thought it might be an interesting question from a lurking forum Newby !!
Old December 19, 2012, 08:10 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

If you call 920-929-0667 and ask them, they will tell you what can be done.

You will get the best answer, asking here you will get opinion.
Old December 20, 2012, 06:54 PM   #3
Virginian

You can do it. I don't know why you would want to though. I hate them.
Old December 20, 2012, 09:31 PM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Welcome aboard, first of all... Secondly, I do not see why a poly-choke wouldn't fit or work on a shorter barrel gun... Actually, you piqued my interest by mentioning it and I may get one installed on my M-500 20ga....

As for your remark, Virginian... You are well withing your bounds to form such an opinion...

But keep in mind, Just because you "hate" them, that doesn't mean they are not useful to some...

They are a viable option and can have great positive results...

The "poly choke" concept is sound enuff...

I had a .410 from 8 years old Mossberg called it a C-Lect choke. I could make adjustments as the critter was still passing or swap shells and crank it tighter or looser real quick...

Many do like them at all while others have expected too much benefit realistically... I liked the results a ton but see where a frequent and thorough inspection during routine deep cleaning is needed to insure the petals are not deformed etc...

Brent
Old December 20, 2012, 10:45 PM   #5
Virginian

In my experience they do work as advertised. The only adjustable choke I ever had is still lying out in a marsh with a couple of inches of barrel. It was probably as glad to see the last of me as I was of it.
Old December 21, 2012, 03:08 PM   #6
Scorch

Yes, you can install a Poly Choke on virtually any single-barreled shotgun. And yes, they will work with buckshot. And many people loved them, and a few didn't for whatever reason, but they do work and work well.
Old December 21, 2012, 04:00 PM   #7
jmr40

I cannot see why it couldn't be done, but threading a barrel for conventional tubes seems like a better alternative to me. The shorter barrels certainly have their place, but with a cyl choke on most they are not very versatile.

One of my most useful barrels is one of the 21" Remington 870 turkey barrels that it threaded for tubes. It is short enough for SD roles with an open choke, with an extra full tube is a near perfect barrel for turkey. While far from an ideal choice for bird hunting it is certainly useable for small game, duck or quail using an IC or modified choke.

I know the same thing can be accomplished with a polychoke, but I don't see any advantages to the polychoke. I do see some pretty big disadvantages.

You can read about them here.

http://www.poly-choke.com/
Old December 21, 2012, 06:06 PM   #8
Virginian

A Poly-Choke will reduce the value of most any gun, because most experienced shotgun people agree with me. Go look at the guns in a used gun rack with price tags. Although the novelty factor on an 18" may attract some. I agree with the threading the barrel for choke tubes idea. They even make a Poly Choke that will screw right in. As an added bonus, the ones with the vents are louder and harder to clean.
Old December 21, 2012, 07:04 PM   #9
Strafer Gott

Poly chokes work much better if you read the instructions and adjust them appropriately. The adjust range is actually quite small. Everyone I have seen over tighten them has lost the unit downrange on the next shot. They really do knock the value down dramatically. I bought an 1100 for 250 USD for just this cause. I think it's handy when a mixed bag is anticipated.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:13 PM   #10
Gunplummer

The NRA had an article years back about tube length and screw on chokes. A long goose gun was started with for the test. I don't remember the increments exactly, but I believe an inch was sawed off each time and the choke re-installed. It was proven that the tube length meant nothing with the choke on it. The shot pattern stayed the same and opened up at the same distance. Anyone else remember this?
Old December 21, 2012, 08:35 PM   #11
Dfariswheel

Yes.
The NRA Dope Bag Technical Staff used a 36" Marlin Goose Gun, which they fired for velocity and pattern, then cut one inch off and re-tested. They continued in one inch increments down to 12".
Their results were:

Anything ballistically that's going to happen in a shotgun barrel happens within 18".

Barrel length has no effect on pattern. An 18" barrel will pattern just as good as a 36". Pattern is determined by the choke, not barrel length.

Anything over 28" and you start to loose velocity due to friction and powder burn rate.

Things "didn't get out of hand" until the barrel was down to 12".

The idea that a longer barrel will shoot "harder" or farther is a left over from black powder days when longer barrels burned the powder more efficiently.
Old December 21, 2012, 08:39 PM   #12
SauerGrapes

Barrel length has no bearing on pattern. Longer barreled shotguns are perferred because of the longer sight plain for sporting clays shooting and bird hunting.
An 18'' barrel on a HD shotgun has it's advantages for close quarters.
I would guess any company set up to do barrel work could install a poly choke for you. It certainly makes changing the pattern spread a lot quicker than screw in chokes. {if that's your desire}

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old December 22, 2012, 06:35 AM   #13
Virginian

I do NOT remember those results the same way, and I have done a lot of my own velocity measurement. Velocity continues to increase up thru 32" (an maybe more), but the rate of increase drops way off. And before someone tells me the powder has burned before you get to 18", I'm not saying it hasn't, but the big bunch of compressed gasses behind the shot has not gone down in pressure to atmospheric yet, by a long shot. If they had, it wouldn't go 'bang' when it exits the barrel. That is why longer barrels are quieter though, because the pressure does drop.
I agree, the choke determines pattern.