The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old September 4, 2014, 10:52 PM   #1
tangolima

Broomhandle feed ramp

Looking at a C96 broomhandle in .30 mauser. I noticed it didn't seem to have a feed ramp at the chamber mouth. Is it normal, or the pistol had been modified. Thanks.

-TL
Old September 5, 2014, 11:01 PM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

It doesn't have the feed ramp common to tilt barrel (Browning) designs, because it doesn't need one. The rounds feed from the magazine at a much shallower angle than they do in most other guns, and they are bottlenecked, which also eases feeding issues.

The Luger doesn't have the crescent moon feed ramp in the barrel like tilt barrel guns, either. It does have a feed ramp in the frame, but not the barrel, basically.
Old September 6, 2014, 12:55 AM   #3
tangolima

Thanks. That's exactly what I want hear. Gun is old but has an exceptionally clean and sharp bore. It needs some work here and there. I think I going to put down the money for her.

-TL
Old September 6, 2014, 07:05 AM   #4
mete

My only real experience with a M96 was weird . The extracted case went forward , backward, to either side ,straight dow, far away , BUT it never malfunctioned !!!
Very interesting design , sorry I don't have one.
Old September 6, 2014, 02:35 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

I had one, a Bolo model, that had been bored to take the 9mm Luger. Mechanically a neat (interesting) design.

However, it was one of the most uncomfortable and PAINFUL handguns to shoot that I have encountered in over 40 years of handgun shooting.

The small size of the grip, the less than handfilling shape, and particularly the large slot for attaching the stock meant that it HURT your hand when you fired it. This was with standard 124gr 9mm ball (I never shot it with anything else).

In .30 cal, it might be a little less painful, but I would highly recommend wearing a glove. Its not the nerve numbing slam of a .44 Mag, but it was a sharp, painful bite to the palm, that actually hurt (me) more than the big .44.

Your experience might be different, just something you ought to be aware of.
Old September 6, 2014, 04:13 PM   #6
tangolima

I have been wanting to have one since I was a little boy. Decades went by I finally found one that I'd like to call my own. I keep seeing worn down ones and bolos. I don't like a bolo, I want to have the original size, and 30 Mauser, the same Winston Churchill carried on his shoulder.

-TL
Old September 6, 2014, 06:32 PM   #7
kilimanjaro

Just to chime in, got the time to dig my two out of the safe, no feed ramps, like I thought all morning.

If you've got a good bore and decent finish, you won't be sorry you forked over the bucks for one. It's the Lion of the Big Five in iconic pistols.

Mauser Broomhandle
Luger P08
1911 Colt
1873 Peacemaker
Model 29 .44 Magnum
Old September 6, 2014, 06:42 PM   #8
kilimanjaro

The world would be much different if Winston had carried a sabre that day at Omdurman, instead of his new gentleman's pistol. Have to wonder, was he just buying his Mauser because he was a profligate son, did he like new technology, or was it thinking about harms way?
Old September 6, 2014, 09:22 PM   #9
tangolima

I doubt it was considered a gentleman's gun back in the time. He could even be looked at funny, just like the first few who championed polymer pistols not too long ago. At least he was open minded to new ideas. He was in fact quite a liberal in many senses.

-TL
Old September 6, 2014, 11:41 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

Officers in the British Army bought their own equipment. At the time Winston was fighting at Omdurman, the C-96 was one of the few semi-automatic pistols available. The Borchardt was around and it had a detachable magazine unlike the fixed double stack magazine of the C-96. Was it a gentleman's pistol? Dunno.

Fired one with the shoulder stock in Germany and got hammer bite. For a small handed person, that was surprising. Still love Broomhandles though and as a child it was the very first handgun I ever wanted.

One thing about C-96s, it was very modern in that like a Lego toy, everything snapped together. There were very few pins or screws on it. The most notable screw is the one on the grips. The one pin I'm aware of holds the adjustable sight.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:09 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

The C-96 was actually quite popular with British officers in the years leading up to World War I.

Churchill was but the most famous of the advocates.

Karamajo Bell also carried a C-96 during many of his adventures in Africa as a big game hunter.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:15 AM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

According to what I have read, Winston got the Mauser, because he had injured his rt arm and could not, at the time use a saber. According to all accounts, it served him adequately / well, and he was quite happy with it.

Keep that in mind next time you hear one of the endless stopping power debates!
Old September 7, 2014, 10:11 AM   #13
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Irwin View Post
The C-96 was actually quite popular with British officers in the years leading up to World War I.

Churchill was but the most famous of the advocates.

Karamajo Bell also carried a C-96 during many of his adventures in Africa as a big game hunter.
Hmm... I don't know. If it is popular, you don't need an advocate for it, do you?

-TL
Old September 7, 2014, 12:47 PM   #14
Mike Irwin
Staff

Advocate in the sense that he wrote positively about it, not that he went on extensive lecture tours touting its properties.
Old September 7, 2014, 09:02 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

There were a number of people who "advocated" the adoption of the Mauser by their nations' armies, and it was formally or informally tested by several, including the British army. One argument was that for cavalry, the shoulder-stock version could replace the carbine, but it was far less powerful than the carbine (which was normally a shortened service rifle), while being larger and more cumbersome than the typical revolver of that time.

All in all, the Mauser was "neither fish nor fowl" and ultimately was never adopted by any nation as its standard service pistol, though it was issued by Germany in the WWI emergency, and by police and para-military groups from time to time. China ordered many, as well as making them locally, and it came as close to being a standard pistol in China as anywhere.

Jim
Old September 8, 2014, 08:37 PM   #16
kilimanjaro

Prussia did contract for the Broomhandle in 1916, about 130,000 were delivered by war's end. Erwin Rommel favored it for his shock troops along with flamethrowers and an early machine pistol that later evolved into the WWII designs.
Old September 10, 2014, 11:36 AM   #17
mapsjanhere

Does anyone have a manual for the C96? A friend of mine just got one, but first time we took it out shooting we had real trouble loading the magazine due to a lack of slide lock. I got some loading strips and it works that way, but still not sure we're not doing something wrong. Shooting is pleasant with 30 Mauser, didn't notice anything bad due to the handle shape.
Old September 10, 2014, 12:35 PM   #18
James K
Member In Memoriam

You are not doing anything wrong. The C96 magazine works exactly like a Mauser rifle (I can't imagine why); the bolt is kept from closing when the magazine is empty, then the magazine is supposed to be loaded with a clip. Of course in the rifle, the bolt isn't forced forward by a spring, so it is easy to load without the clip, but the idea is the same.

Hi, Kilimanjaro,

I know about the Prussian contract; I have a (real) Red Nine. But, as I said, they were bought and issued only due to the wartime emergency; the C96 was not adopted by Prussia/Germany as a standard service pistol. The P.08 (Luger) and P.38 were the only pistols formally adopted by Germany through WWII.

Jim
Old September 11, 2014, 11:12 AM   #19
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Does anyone have a manual for the C96?
I had one, but it went with my Broomhandle when I sold it. You should be able to get one where I got mine, the Gun Parts Corp (Numrich Arms). Its a reproduction of the 1920s-30s owner's manual.

The Broomhandle is designed to be loaded from stripper clips. Loading single rounds into the magazine is possible, but very awkward.

With the bolt open (held back by the mag follower), insert the loaded clip into the slot, the press the rounds down into the magazine. (some wiggle might be needed). When the clip is stripped, removing it lets the bolt shut, chambering the top round.

There is no way to lock the bolt open with any ammo in the magazine.
Old September 11, 2014, 12:25 PM   #20
tangolima

That's the same as in the Luger.

-TL