The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 11, 2002, 06:11 AM   #1
KPS

NAA Companion For CCW?

Does anyone use the NAA Companion cap and ball revolvers for a CCW?I know many people use their regular revolvers, but was wondering if these could be used as a practical 3rd backup gun.
Old February 11, 2002, 07:33 PM   #2
KPS

Nobody?

Perhaps this should be moved to the blackpowder section.
Old February 11, 2002, 08:11 PM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Your wish is our command.
Old February 12, 2002, 11:58 AM   #4
Alex Johnson

I can't imagine anyone limiting themselves that severly by choice, there are far more effective guns in the same size range for concealed carry, the idea may sound alright sitting at a computer typing this post, but I doubt if it would seem so bright when you are faced with a situation where you might actually have to use that gun to defend your life.
I thoroughly disapprove of duels. I consider them unwise and I know they are dangerous. Also, sinful. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand and lead him to a quiet retired spot and kill him.
- Mark Twain
Old February 12, 2002, 05:11 PM   #5
KPS

Well, the reason I posted was because the regular NAA 22lr revolvers are not MA compliant and the cap and ball ones are.I'm not familiar with cap and ball revolvers so I didn't realize the Companion would not be reliable for self defense situations.
Old February 13, 2002, 08:26 PM   #6
kahr Carrier

concealed carry revolver

The smallest revolver I would go is Ruger sp101,Taurus 85, or one of the many J Frame Smith&Wessons out there. If you like autos try a Berretta tomcat or Naa Guardian or a Seecamp if you can find one.
Old February 14, 2002, 12:39 AM   #7
Salt

Try the Colt Detective Special in .38 Special.
Old February 14, 2002, 04:38 PM   #8
MadScientist

Everone here is forgetting the great added protection given by the smoke screen created after your first shot.
If that was the only gun I was allowed to carry, I would. Black powder handguns served as self defense weapons for a few centuries, right?
Old February 14, 2002, 05:28 PM   #9
Salt

The cap-n-ball revolvers had their day, but technology has progressed onto better weapons.
Old February 27, 2002, 05:55 AM   #10
kd7bcy

I used to have one. It's a pain since you can't unload it without firing and it would take a while to reload. But it's almost silent... Seems like the only thing quieter is a 22 CB. I traded mine for a different gun and then went and bought the 22LR/Mag combo NAA. I love these little NAA guns, I'm thinking of getting one in 22 Short(for plinking only, I carry 22 Magnums for anything else) and eventually might get a LR frame. The great thing is that these guns simply disappear - I keep my Mag in my uniform shirt pocket(I do armed security, with a S&W M10 as my main weapon), or whatever other pocket is handy. The smallest Uncle Mikes pocket holster(the one for 22 and 25 autos) works OK, and NAA sells several holsters, I particularly like their ankle holster which I used with my cap and ball when I had it, but stupid me it went with the gun when I traded it.
Old October 21, 2011, 04:16 AM   #11
Gunn Smithy

KPS, I knew where you were going when I first read your question as I live in California (with its hit or miss ccw issuance and restrictive laws). Not sure how our two states differ in this department, but in California tucking one of these cap n ball guns in your pocket would be OK. But, if you load it and tuck it in your pocket that is a different animal altogether. Once it's loaded, it becomes just like any other cartridge arm as far as concealment is concerned in California law. I know this as I had your same thoughts exactly. Others have posted that you should make a better choice for ccw, but I'd take a cap n ball gun over having no gun at all. Smithy.
Old October 21, 2011, 07:43 AM   #12
madcratebuilder

I own two of the NAA C&B shooters and have used them for CC. Not my first choice but far superior to being unarmed. Depending on how I'm dressed I carry anything from a.44spl , 357, .380, .32, .25acp and .22 c&b.

These make a very small foot print as pocket carry. I would not want that lead bullet bouncing off bones inside my body.