The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 16, 2014, 09:05 AM   #26
Old Stony

I got my new M&P Compact .22 yesterday and tried it out using Federal bulk ammo. It functioned great and I really like it so far. I still need to do some bench work to sight it in a little better, but I was holding it on a 2" target sticker at 7 yds. offhand with it just grouping a little to the left. Nice little pistol and feels like it was made to fit anyone's hand.
Old October 16, 2014, 09:17 AM   #27
walks with gun

Look for something that say's Ruger or Browning on it, the little SIG is a nice feeling and looking gun but that's about all the good I can say about it.
Old October 16, 2014, 09:32 AM   #28
skizzums

I know it's not what you were asking at all, but I have the ruger lite sr22 and the beretta neos and an old iver Johnson trailsman. I honestly like them all equally for different reasons. the iver Johnson is small but heavy, but can fit in a pocket if needed. the neo's is a fine pistol, but incredibly long and a little akward, the sr22 is built extremely well and very accurate, but is picky with ammo. I usually suggest the beretta neo for new 22 shooter because of the price point. academy has them for under 250 no matter what barrel length you choose and it feeds whatever so far.

I, like most others, don't understand the motivation to buy a copy of a duty gun to shoot .22s, a gun should be built around the cartridge it's shooting, not just to look like something it's not. a .22 pistol should be an accurate target or hunting gun.
Old October 16, 2014, 02:12 PM   #29
Darker Loaf

A 22/45 Lite with Volquarsten (Mark II) guts makes for a stellar pistol. Also, VQ is now doing stuff with Browning Buckmarks... another good way to go.

Honestly, the Sig Mosquito is what broke me on .22 LR pistols. I sold a perfectly good working Buckmark (though I'd had parts failures, I fixed or replaced them all after 10,000's of rounds) to upgrade to a more "adult/tacticool" looking/functioning gun. After the failures of that Mosquito, I swore off .22 LR pistols for years...

Even my 22/45 Lite was problematic until it received some custom work from VQ.
Old October 16, 2014, 03:55 PM   #30
motorhead0922

For me, one factor would be whether the gun can be dry-fired without damage. The owner's manual of the M&P22 says not to dry fire; with the SR22, dry fire is okay. I wouldn't consider a gun I couldn't dry fire.
2020: It's pronounced twenty twenty.
Old October 16, 2014, 04:09 PM   #31
Walt Sherrill

MOST .22s shouldn't be dry-fired. Ruger builds has always used a firing pin stop that keeps the FP from damaging the chamber. In fact, you MUST dry-fire the Ruger MKI-MKII to disassemble it. But, with a lot of dry fires, that part can wear and the firing pin can still damage the chamber. (It's not a common problem, but it can happen.)

If you don't have a Ruger (or a gun that they specifically tell you can be dry-fired) you can get snap caps. Some folks say they use the small plastic pieces (Drywall anchors?) used to hold screws in drywall to protect the chamber.
Old October 19, 2014, 11:16 AM   #32
Pyzon

I think you should buy the Mosquito. In fact, I think you should buy my son's Mosquito, so he can put the money towards a nice Ruger MkII he says his eye on. That way when shooting it he can concentrate on shooting instead of farting around getting that Mosquito to actually work like Sig promised. And no, MiniMags are not the secret either. Mosquito's just plain suck.
Old October 19, 2014, 11:45 AM   #33
skywag

Finally, there is a handgun to receive the title, "Worst handgun ever made!"

Sig "Mosquito."
Old October 19, 2014, 04:52 PM   #34
hoss1969

Ruger SR22 would be my choice.
Old October 19, 2014, 07:40 PM   #35
Ibmikey

My experience with the Mosquito was less than stellar. My MP .22 compact is the neatest little pistol I have come across lately, my Walther made MP.22 also is totally reliable but the S&W "Compact beats it hands down
Old October 19, 2014, 09:22 PM   #36
tallball

I got a Mosquito brand-new for $199 and it was still a bad deal. It's rare to shoot a full magazine without a malfunction. My best 22 handguns have been revolvers. Most of them hold nine rounds these days. A good one will have a trigger and sights equal to or better than any semi-auto. A 22 is a rimmed round that is much better suited to revolvers.
Old October 19, 2014, 10:43 PM   #37
stmcelroy

Recently traded into a Walther P22 and actually prefer it to my Browning Buckmark.

Old October 21, 2014, 08:54 PM   #38
t45

I've not had any issues with my Sig Mosquito. I keep it clean and feed it what it likes. Its a fun little pistol. I think the earlier guns had more issues than the newer ones.
Old October 27, 2014, 02:00 PM   #39
creepyNinja

Sig must have been on crack when they named this gun. i personally wouldn't want a gun that's called "mosquito"
Old November 1, 2014, 09:42 PM   #40
wvshooter

My Mosquito cycles reliably but unless you're firing it with the hammer fully cocked the trigger is terrible. Did I say terrible, yes it's terrible. I don't agree with some previous posters that the gun is junk.
Old November 15, 2014, 12:35 AM   #41
Busted Knuckle

We bought a Skeeter for my daughter a couple years ago . With the same number of rounds through it, our sr22 or 22/45 the little Sig has had the least # of issues. @ least a 1000 rounds through each and each have had less than dozen if half that ftf, FTE etc
She loved the purple frame of the Sig and I noticed the "ledge" above the feed ramp at the chamber was smooth, no ledge to trip up incoming rounds. Ours runs fine. Good luck
Old December 18, 2014, 01:05 AM   #42
Spooler41

I've got to say up front, I love my Mosquito. I used HV rounds for the first
500/600 rnds., after that it would eat just about any thing I would load into it.
I did discover during breakin that it didn't like naked lead bullets or subsonic rnds.. At that point all I bought for it were plated HV rounds. I've put about
3000 rounds through it now, 99+% problem free, I also keep it clean and well lubricated.
It's only gotten better with age. I've had no regrets with the Mosquito.

.......................... Jack
Old January 8, 2015, 08:16 AM   #43
Big4Freedom

I just got a mosquito a few months ago and worst thing in collection. Avoid unless $50. I needed something with threaded barrel so I went with it, as I'm huge Sig fan. Horrible gun. The Sw mp 22 eats everything and great. Walter p22 is awesome with high velocity stuff only but a pain to reassemble. Ruger sr22 is good but not as good as Walter, but eats nearly everything. If it were me, if buy new Sw mp22 compact, and prob will soon...

Last edited by Big4Freedom; January 8, 2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old January 8, 2015, 01:07 PM   #44
Cheapshooter

Quote:
CZ Kadet Hands down
Search for an expensive used, discontinued gun, or buy a $400 conversion kit and a $600 gun to put it in.
OR
For a few more options, look at the the Ruger SR-22, GSG 1911-22, or the down sized Browning 1911-22 if you insist on a hammer fired 22.

I have a Walther P22, and with the right ammo it has been reliable, and reasonably accurate. I've heard all the complaints about the Mosquito, similar to the same complaints about the Walther. The only experience I have with one is shooting a used one my friend just bought. After a little experimentation with finding ammo it liked, it shot very well. Well enough in fact that I will probably be buying one.
For something more accurate, in the line of a target pistol, give up on the hammer guns, and look at the Ruger MK series, or Browning Buckmark.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 8, 2015, 01:20 PM   #45
aarondhgraham

I won't bash the Mosquito,,,

I won't bash the Mosquito,,,
Because I don't own one of them.

I will however praise my Ruger SR-22,,,
It has not malfunctioned at all.

For a duty style DA/SA pistol it has everything,,,
External hammer, decocker safety,,,
And second strike capability.

If that particular Mosquito works for you,,,
And if you like how it handles,,,
To heck with the naysayers,,,
Buy it.

But look at and handle an SR-22 first,,,
Just because it a great pistol as well.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old January 8, 2015, 02:47 PM   #46
shaunpain

I got a Mosquito in a "two-for" deal that I've mildly shot with the only .22 I can ever find at Cabela's, CCI Minimag. Probably needless to say, I have had very few issues with it. I don't expect much out of any .22 pistol so it runs acceptably for me. The only time I've ever shot a Ruger Mark II I had nothing but problems with it. YMMV.
Old January 8, 2015, 09:56 PM   #47
herdman

I have a M&P 22 and recommend it. I run cheap Thunderbolt 22LR ammo and don't have any issues.

The Ruger SR22 is also a good looking and reliable gun from what I am told. I would like to have one of those as well.
Old January 8, 2015, 10:56 PM   #48
WyMark

I love my Mosquito, but I can't say it's problem free. I bought it used because it's got the same controls and is only a little smaller than my P228. That was back when it was a lot cheaper to shoot .22 than 9mm. I've gone out to the range with two 525 boxes of Federal .22 and then drove back to Walmart to buy a few more, then back to the range to shoot them up. Of course that was when you could walk into Walmart and buy a few boxes of .22 when you wanted.

I get some FTF and FTEs from almost every mag, I have four mags and can empty them all in less than a minute. If I get a stovepipe or fte I rack it and fire. When it gets to where it doesn't function well enough it goes to the gun smith for a bath in the ultra sonic cleaner. I have found that some of my mags sometimes work flawlessly when others feed about 50% of the time, that's when they all get a good soaking.

The main problem I've had is with the trigger, and that's mostly the difference in the reset between it and my P228. If I shoot the Mosquito first and then move to the center fire lane, I get a lot of unintended double taps, which is a real problem since it is unintended and happens very fast, like when the muzzle is still tilted up from the recoil of the first shot. I've only ever had this happen when I shoot a few hundred rounds of .22 and then shoot my 228, and I'm sure it has something to do with the difference in trigger reset.

I don't know that I'd buy it again, though.
Old January 10, 2015, 07:07 PM   #49
peggysue

22LR pistols can be picky with brands. I find CCI MinMax is more consistent.

Last edited by peggysue; January 11, 2015 at 03:56 AM.