The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 22, 2013, 10:59 PM   #1
TheJacobsRanch

Need some info please

I have a Remington 597 .22 that I'm looking to convert stocks from a synth to wood.. I'm eye balling a wood stock from a large barrel model, will that work on my standard barrel model??
Old February 23, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
Smokey Joe

Stock Exchange...

Jacobs Ranch--Re: Using a heavy-bbl stock for a light-bbl Rem 597: I don't foresee that you'd have any problem, except for a gaping amount of space between the bbl and the fore-end of the stock. If that wouldn't bother you, I'd say "go for it!"

On second thought, make sure that there IS support for the forward end of the receiver, in the new stock. Lacking that, you are in for a serious action-bedding session, not that that'd necessarily be a deal-killer, just more putzy work.

On third thought, why not get the right stock for the barrelled action that you have? Unless you got a screamin' deal on the heavy-bbl stock. Perhaps karma is trying to tell you that it's time to install a heavy bbl on your 597 action.

Perhaps it's time for me to quit considering, and re-considering...

--Smokey Joe

Last edited by Smokey Joe; February 23, 2013 at 02:31 PM. Reason: The usual--had another thought.
Old February 23, 2013, 04:22 PM   #3
DaleA

Quote:
Perhaps it's time for me to quit considering, and re-considering...
Oh heck no!

That's what we're here for and that's what we pay to get - each others expert opinions.

(And I wondered why he didn't just get a std wood stock too.)
Old February 23, 2013, 08:19 PM   #4
TheJacobsRanch

Bought the rifle from a pawn shop a little over a year ago, it's the synth camo version, but I spotted a nice walnut stock with thumb hole on eBay thought to my self that sure would be a pretty addition to my gun if the price is right..
Old February 23, 2013, 09:12 PM   #5
olddav

It should fit.
As long as your barrel is smaller than the channel in the stock you should be fine, the receiver is the same regardless of barrel dia.