The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 21, 2012, 11:49 AM   #1
rebs

Primers ?

I have always used CCI small rifle primers, but they were out of stock so I bough 200 Winchester small rifle primers. It seems to me that the Winchester primers caused my groups to open up since everything else was the same. Is this possible to happen ?
Old June 21, 2012, 11:55 AM   #2
eldorendo

Yes
Old June 21, 2012, 01:11 PM   #3
hooligan1

Oh yeah,, nothing in handloading is equal. Every different component nets different results.... That's why in almost 30 yrs of handloading I have never changed primer company's, I always use CCI, and I hope I can't tell the difference between batches!!!
Old June 21, 2012, 02:36 PM   #4
serf 'rett

Yep, not only possible, but expected.
Old June 21, 2012, 03:43 PM   #5
k4swb

You MIGHT be able to adjust something else and be right back where you were.
Old June 21, 2012, 03:53 PM   #6
math teacher

With a different load the Winchester primers might give the best groups. You only know by trying.
Old June 21, 2012, 06:11 PM   #7
dacaur

Just like with anything else, any time you change a component, you need to re-work your load. If you are not too close to max, you might try a different brand... Just like you will sometimes find two different bullets that group the same in your gun with your powder charge, you might find two primers that groups the same in your gun....

If you are close to max load though, especialy if you saw pressure signs and backed off, DON'T do that, since different primers can and do make a difference in pressure. Another brand might lower it, or it might raise it.... Not worth the chance IMO....
Old June 22, 2012, 06:26 AM   #8
rebs

I seen no signs of pressure. The loads I fired were all with H335 powder in 24.3, 24.5 and 24.8 gr with a 55 gr fmjbt bullet. All three of these groups opened up when I used Winchester primers because the lgs was out of my usual CCI 400 primers. Luckily I only bought 200 instead of a 100 box. I am going back to CCI's.
Thank you guys for the help and information, I appreciated it.