The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 3, 2013, 12:24 PM   #26
semi_problomatic

The last I heard cali was a bit tricky. There's a big list of no-no names you can't have stamped on your lower...

These guys are $140 and based out of cali...

http://www.jdmachinetech.com/merchan...ry_Code=223LWR

AR15's are pretty standard. Just watch out for the civ spec vs milspec buffer tubes and buttstocks, and billet vs forged uppers and lowers. Everything else should be fairly plug and play. Also look into what length barrel/gas system you want to match with the type of bolt carrier group, buffer, and buffer spring or get an adjustable gas system. Some people claim it doesn't matter, but there's enough info on it to avoid the potential for problems.
Old December 3, 2013, 03:29 PM   #27
Duzell

nice. i actually stumbled onto a sale for tactical machining lower forged receiver with tensioner built in 5.56. for 95$ normal price is 150$. it was a good deal so i said id take it and they have a good track record, and its t6 aluminum forged. ill start a project build on it. im thinking of going cheap first off to try everything out. then start getting match trigger and a good barrel/ upper system with the side assit hammer
Old December 3, 2013, 05:15 PM   #28
tahunua001

just be sure to get cheap stuff and not crap.
blackthorn/arpartskits/akpartskits/ whatever name they are currently operating under are the cheapest game in town but their parts are comeplete and utter junk. my brother built two ars from their parts and are now about 75$ DPMS parts since the blackthorn parts were breaking so often.
Old December 3, 2013, 08:38 PM   #29
semi_problomatic

Said civ spec for some reason, meant commercial.

Midway has some completely stripped uppers for $75 on clearance.

Think I also saw a complete upper, 16" barrel 1:9 twist for $300ish. Can't remember brands but its under clearance gunparts
Old December 4, 2013, 12:58 PM   #30
Duzell

i love midways clearance, i got a few mags for thee howa for the price of 1.

im unsure of the tools ill need to assemble the parts im getting, i know the mag vise block, the multi ar tool wrench, anything else ill need?
Old December 4, 2013, 01:46 PM   #31
semi_problomatic

There's been a few threads.

I built one with a vice and blocks, flat head screw driver, torque wrench, hammer, allen wrenches, vice grips and a 1 1/8" wrench head that fit my barrel nut. I didn't need an armorer's tool because of the buffer tube and front rails that I bought. You might need one depending on what you buy.

Some guys will tell you to go buy $600 worth of speciality tools.

Best bet it to watch a few youtube videos and see what they use and what you're comfortable with. It's not a 1911 so it doesn't really take a whole bunch of specialty tools.

You will need a torque wrench if you're fitting your own barrel.
Old December 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #32
Duzell

well i ahve a lot of the more expensive tools on hand. but i dont have the ar specialty tools
Old December 4, 2013, 05:36 PM   #33
5thShock

Check out the Midway build an AR videos. Just a barrel wrench and some receiver blocks for special tools, no? Please come back and keep us posted on this worthy project. Good Luck!
Old December 5, 2013, 11:54 AM   #34
Duzell

lol sorry, i do not have tools specific to the ar , i have the smith hammers, scope levers, the vise , the pins, the punches.

but i dont have the wrench or vise blocks for the ar.

ive moved this project to a thread , hopefully i get more before the year end.

i must get a bullet button (plus magnetic button tool, still legal here HAHAHa), kalaforniastan i hate you

im looking at getting parts from palmetto state armory, the LPK kit seems to be a nice quality with a good grip. i am hopeing for tan parts hooked to this as my surrounding area is dry grass and desert

also i have a question on magazines, im in CA so my magazine limit is 10. but i wanted a higher capacity magazine that i could buy with a limiter or get a limiter. is it legal for me to get a 30 then add a limiter for 10 rounds to it ?
Old December 5, 2013, 08:05 PM   #35
tahunua001

none of those tools are crucial to building an AR15. the multitool is really nice to have but thats probably the only thing that you need that's AR15 specific.
Old December 5, 2013, 09:51 PM   #36
Duzell

good. any LPK i should look into, i wanted forged parts for durability
Old December 5, 2013, 10:05 PM   #37
Xfire68

Not knocking your build idea but, if you are not building for a purpose like a Coyote rig or hog gun, I don't see the point in building an AR. If you were going with higher end parts and were trying to save money I could see that route as well but, a new AR 15 is around $700 (Some more some less) and building one is real close to the same.

Please disregard my comments if you are also just looking to have the experience of building your own.
Old December 6, 2013, 11:03 AM   #38
Duzell

lol, ok will do. this was mainly a project and a way for me to get a firearm in 223 , because i do not currently own one. the build is so far just to get the firearm functional and CA safe. im just looking at parts for now until i have enough info to make a educated decision on.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:13 PM   #39
CTS

I would take a close look at Aero Precision Upper and Lower recievers. As good as it gets in my opinion without moving up to Mega or something like that. Many companies out there are using rebranded Aero recievers for their builds.
Old December 6, 2013, 08:26 PM   #40
Xfire68

Here is a CA complaint AR. Other companies make them as well.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index...-ca-model.html
Old December 6, 2013, 08:36 PM   #41
CTS

The only requirement for the receiver itself is that it has a "bullet button" installed so that the mag requires a tool to be removed instead of the standard mag release. You can buy a bullet button at almost any place that sells "AR" parts. http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod40382.aspx
Old December 8, 2013, 01:49 PM   #42
Duzell

the problem ive hear with the bullet button is sometimes the spring is weak.

i already have the magnetic button tool for it, i thought buying one before any ban was a good idea
Old December 13, 2013, 03:53 PM   #43
Duzell

well just got the reciever today

it say something odd below the serial number

MULTI CAL
MOD. TM -15

tm-15 is a AR 15 by TM i understand that. but the muticaliber has me worried. does this restrict me to specific rounds or the opposite ?

TM15
Old December 13, 2013, 04:02 PM   #44
CTS

Colt owns the trademark to the name AR 15. They bought it from Armalite in 1959. All others will always be some other prefix. Bushmaster is usually XM 15, SAA is SA15 etc. In order for it to be legally called an AR15 it has to be a Colt. Otherwise they are called Mforgeries, or AR clones. It doesn't matter, they are still the exact same animal. As for the Multi caliber, most will say that. It doesn't restrict you to anything. It is just saying that it can be used to build an "AR" of any caliber available for that size magwell opening. Otherwise you would have to go with the larger AR10, LR 308 if you wanted a larger round than would fit in the AR15 platform.
Here is a pretty good list of what will fit the "AR-15""
without bolt modification:
.17 Remington
.17/223
.20 Tactical
.20 Practical
.20 Vartag
.204 Ruger
.221 Fireball
.222 Remington
.222 Remington Magnum
.223 Remington (5.56x45mm)
.223 Remington Ackley Improved
6x45mm
6mm TCU
6x47mm
6mm Whisper
.25x45mm
6.5mm Whisper
7mm Whisper
7mm TCU
.300 Whisper (.300/221, .300 Fireball)
.338 Whisper

AR-15, with bolt modification
223 WSSM
5.45x39mm (.21 Genghis)
243 WSSM
6mm PPC
6mm WOA
6mm BR Remington
6mm Hagar
6.5mm PPC
6.5 WSSM
6.5 WOA
6.5mm Grendel
25 WSSM
6.8x43mm SPC
.30 Herrett Rimless Tactical (6.8x43mm case trimmed to 41mm and necked up to .308; the 6.8mm version of the .300 Whisper)
7.62x25
7.62x39mm
.30 RAR
300 OSSM
.357 Auto
.35 Gremlin (necked up 6.5 Grendel to 358)
.358 WSSM (various names, but all are some form of a WSSM necked up to 35 caliber, some are shortened to make them big game legal in Indiana)
Not to mention pistol calibers that have been chambererd in the 15.

Last edited by CTS; December 13, 2013 at 04:29 PM.
Old December 13, 2013, 05:53 PM   #45
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duzell
the muticaliber has me worried. does this restrict me to specific rounds or the opposite ?
Just like slappy said, it doesn't mean anything is different. I've always wondered why some stripped lowers you buy have "5.56" listed as the caliber, considering there are so many other calibers that can be used with a standard AR-15 lower. They should all say "multi" as far as I'm concerned.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:00 PM   #46
CTS

Personally I wish they would leave it off completely. Most other rifles don't have the caliber marked on the receiver, only the barrel. Most AR barrels are marked with caliber as well. It just makes things complicated. I wish someone would market a lower that has a serial number only, no caliber marking and no rollmark.
PSA is marketing their "Stealth" lower with no rollmark but it still says; "cal Multi" on it.
Old December 13, 2013, 06:05 PM   #47
Theohazard

Good point, slappy, I guess I have to agree with you there. Saying "multi" on it doesn't really give you any more information than if it didn't say anything at all.

Maybe it's just a legal thing? When you buy a stripped lower and fill out the 4473 it asks for the caliber, just like any other firearm. If it says multi you just put "multi" on the 4473. I guess if it said nothing on the side of the receiver too many people wouldn't know what to write.
Old December 14, 2013, 10:10 AM   #48
barnbwt

Slappy, how could you forget to include the AR57 upper in your very extensive list? It's like the most clever upper there is right now!

There's also another cool WSSM wildcat; 510 ReedWhacker, which cuts the case at the shoulder and bumps in a .510 cal slug. Ballistics are at lower-end 50 Alaskan levels . Granted, the bolt face is opened to the point that it breaks through the rim into the lugs, which scares some people, but it has operated well for those who've done the conversion

No mention of "80%" lowers? That's the best way to set what gets printed on the side of the mag well (if anything)

TCB
Old December 14, 2013, 12:06 PM   #49
CTS

Easy, it wasn't my list. LOL, it's a copy and paste job. I can't deal in 80% lowers. I have an 01 FFL. If I were to build 80% lowers and serialize them I would have to have an 07 FFL (manufacturer).
Old December 16, 2013, 11:25 AM   #50
Duzell

im actually enjoying my build so far, i might get another lower after this one is completed . i purchased bullet button and panther arms LPK from the store i was at that i got my tm15 from.

so far my only issue was with the lever catch on the side (for the bolt catch), the pin was hard to fit in while everything else seems to work fine

im looking at getting the folowing :

Palmetto State Armory M-16 AR-15 Bolt Carrier Group BCG

JD Machine Complete Upper Receiver for AR15 AR-15 M-4 M4 Flattop with Mil-spec Rail

Ergo AR15/M16 Tactical DLX Sure Grip with Palm Shelf Ambidextrous (OD Green)

the Battle Arms Development BAD-EPS Enhanced Pivot and Takedown Pins Set AR15

Magpul B.A.D. Lever

anything i should be aware of ?