The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 27, 2010, 09:20 PM   #1
Rjeezie

Cheap but Reliable Shotgun???

Hey everybody,

I'm looking to get somebody a cheap but reliable shotgun for Christmas. They don't want anything with fancy bells and whistles. Reliability is the biggest thing.

I was looking around and saw a Mossberg Maverick for cheap. I know Mossberg is good, but I've really heard anything on this model for a shotgun. What do you think? Any other suggestions?
Old November 27, 2010, 09:23 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Maverick... Basically a Mossberg 500 but with a crossbolt safety rather than a top of tang safety tab.

Brent
Old November 27, 2010, 09:27 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

The Remington 870 is just about as basic as you can get for a pump shotgun. There's umpteen different models/setups for it and you can probably find a good used one for about $250.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old November 27, 2010, 10:20 PM   #4
the rifleer

870 or mossberg 500. my preference is the 500. This is simply going to be another mossber vs. remington debate and the simple truth is that both are so ridiculously reliable that it doesn't matter which one you get.
Old November 27, 2010, 10:26 PM   #5
Rjeezie

I guess a better question may be are there any specials for Mossberg or Remington then, hahaha. Thanks for the input
Old November 27, 2010, 10:27 PM   #6
youngunz4life

no debate but I could see it going that way too. the maverick or 500 are both very reliable&I like them better than the 870, so it sounds like you have found a great gift. If you hadn't mentioned the mossberg in your OP I wouldn't have known exactly what you were looking for. A double barreled shotgun is also a great gift and you can get one for a real good price also that looks real nice with the wood finish and such. Its double barreled but shoots one shot at a time - very reliable like the mossberg.
Old November 27, 2010, 11:58 PM   #7
jmortimer

For $200.00 you can get the H&R Pardner Pump which is a 870 clone - all parts interchange except barrel and receiver. Owners are very happy and gun is "depend on your life reliable" - here are 10 reviews from law enforcement officers from Police link and as you can see they all love their Pardner Pumps
http://policelink.monster.com/produc...pump-protector. Here is an extensive review from Shotgun World linking the review from Survival.com http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/view...p?f=7&t=120913 We should all thank Remiongton/Marlin/H&R for importing such a great gun for only $200.00

Last edited by jmortimer; November 28, 2010 at 12:58 AM.
Old November 28, 2010, 12:40 AM   #8
Borakar

The Maverick is a fine choice. An 870 would be OK too.
Old November 28, 2010, 01:04 AM   #9
Smoke Screen

Both are amaz-za-zing in terms of reliability. If its a good price you're after, Sportsmans Warehouse has a sale on a brand new 870 field model OR tactical version both for $229 (after a $30 remington mail in rebate). I personally like the way the Mossy feels in my stance, but at $229 for a new 870, you can't go wrong!
Old November 28, 2010, 02:06 AM   #10
zippy13

Hey Rjeezie,
Nobody stopped to ask what kind of shotgun you were after, or if if you're buying for an adult or a child, male or female. When it comes to a basic repeater, the choice typically comes to a debate between Mossberg and Remington. However, pump guns are known to jamb. If you want something that is ultra dependable and also inexpensive, have you considered a single shot break open type shotgun?
Old November 28, 2010, 02:38 AM   #11
Smoke Screen

+1 to zippy. I have a sweet single shot 16 ga. that is light to pack around, simple to use, and an awesome bird gun. My pops has several in 20 and 12 ga and swears to them as functional survival tools.
Old November 28, 2010, 03:09 AM   #12
silvercorvette

Quote:
However, pump guns are known to jamb.
In my opinion a good quality gun such as the 870 or 500 is fine and won't jam, it's the operator that will cause the problem by short stroking the gun, not the guns problem. A single barrel takes practice to fire multiple shots I would opt for a double barrel.

You still need to practice loading the double barrel but at least you get two shots.

How much you are willing to pay for a home defense gun depends on how much value you place on your life.
Old November 28, 2010, 03:32 AM   #13
Shadi Khalil

I pretty new to shotguns, I just got my first a few months ago. Its a Mossberg 500 my wife bought me for our anniversary and it's great. Easy to operate, utterly reliable and inexpensive. I think she paid a little over 300 with tax and a case. I would highly recommend the 500.
Old November 28, 2010, 08:14 AM   #14
Deerhunter

First I never saw in the post where the OP was looking for a HD shotgun. The OP doesn't wnat bells and whistles. I own both the 500 and the 870. I have had the 500 for about 21 years and the 870 for about 14 years. They are both great guns. I prefer the 870 over the 500 though. Go out and handle each one. What fits you and feels good to you may not for someone else.
Old November 28, 2010, 09:00 AM   #15
silvercorvette

You can probably flip a coin between the 500 and 870 and not go wrong either way. I have an 870 because that is what my department used. They were abused poorly maintained but never failed. Some of the other guns mentioned besides the 500 and 870 may be even better, but I like the fact the 870 has a proven track record with my old department, and the 500 also has a proven record.

I paid around $300 when I bought my around 8 to 10 years ago and judging from what other people wrote they managed to keep the price down.

$300 plus a few dollars doesn't seem like a lot when a persons life is at stake, go for either of the two guns.

As far as a break open single shot I personally would want more than one shot and a double barrel is only going to give you two shots but will cost as much as a good pump.

A pump will malfunction if you short stroke it so be sure to become familiar with the gun you choose and practice using it.
Old November 28, 2010, 10:07 AM   #16
oletymer

If you are looking at reliable then your only choices are Browning BPS or Ithaca 37. The rest manufactured today are far from satisfactory.
Old November 28, 2010, 11:17 AM   #17
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
The rest manufactured today are far from satisfactory.
And exactly what aspects of the Mossberg or Maverick offerings seem to limit this reliability?

I am not hearing of any reliability issues with either of these American Made guns...

Please expound on your claim please...

Brent
Old November 28, 2010, 12:28 PM   #18
silvercorvette

Quote:
And exactly what aspects of the Mossberg or Maverick offerings seem to limit this reliability?

I am not hearing of any reliability issues with either of these American Made guns...

Please expound on your claim please...

Brent
Thanks for posting that, I would like to add Remington 870.

When I retired from my department back in 1990 we had Remington 870s that had been in use for 30 years and I bet those guns that are now 50 years old are still being used today. These guns were rarely cleaned and were fired every day of the year at the range for training with the exception of a few holidays. Each gun had at least 50 rounds a day run through it without a failure. That does not fit anyones definition of unreliable
Old November 28, 2010, 12:31 PM   #19
38superhero

Mossberg ftw
Old November 28, 2010, 12:46 PM   #20
youngunz4life

OP - dont worry about the jam. just remember the shotgun likes it rough and you'll never short stroke it. I like double barrels, so get at least a double barrel otherwise the 870 or moss is fine. I don't know anybody that has had problems with a mossberg, but I do know some who have had issues with the 870. Personally, I would trust either with my life+they are great firearms. I paid low $200's for my mossberg 500 and that was 2009
Old November 28, 2010, 01:28 PM   #21
MarbRed88

IMHO Mossberg is the right path. How much money are you looking to spend? If you like double barrels Stoeger make a nice Coach Gun for around $300.
Old November 28, 2010, 03:22 PM   #22
John L. Smith

Mavrick Arms makes most all of Mossberg's shotguns except the O/U I beleive.

Walmart has Mavrick 88's for less than $ 190.00 + tx. I have had one for a couple of years, no problems. The only thing about it that I don't like is the cross bolt safety. I think they have 500's for around $ 240.00 + tx. My 12 year old grandson is taking it away from me so I just bought a Mossberg 535 from Dick's for under $ 300.00 + tx. Like the safety on it a lot better. The Maverick is a working man's gun, not fancy just gets the job done.

John
Old November 28, 2010, 03:36 PM   #23
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Quote:
Mavrick Arms makes most all of Mossberg's shotguns except the O/U I beleive.
Actually, Maverick is JUST A NAME... Sort of like Rustler is to Wrangler...

Mossberg has a second plant located in Texas. That plant does assembly and repair work.

Some parts are built in Messy-Cola and brought into texas to be joined with parts from their Conn. plant and Texas plant.

Brent
Old November 28, 2010, 03:57 PM   #24
sserdlihc

870 Remington!!
Old November 28, 2010, 03:57 PM   #25
Webleymkv

For what purpose will the shotgun be used? If you're just wanting a sporting/fun gun then a NEF single-shot is about the most affordable and reliable shotgun you can get. If you're wanting a self-defense type gun, however, you may want more than one shot and thus would want to look into a repeater (pumps are going to be the most affordable repeaters).

In a pump, I've used both Remington 870's (both wingmaster and express) and Mossberg 500's and could see no problems with either. While I have no personal experience with them, I've heard nothing bad about the NEF Pardner Pump, Maverick 88, Winchester 1300 (discontinued), or Benelli Nova either.