The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 15, 2009, 08:08 AM   #26
Uncle Billy

Thanks, Crusty and Magnum, sounds like good advice.

Here's another Hornet question: I can't find any of the usual powders around here to use- 4227, H110 etc. In the "One Book/One Caliber" handload manual for the Hornet, in the section that came from Lyman were reloads that use Red Dot and Unique. None of the other sources of reload information that I have (Speer, Hornady, etc) have listings for those powders.

Lyman's loads were for behind cast bullets only. Do cast bullets and jacketed bullets perform differently from each other enough to require different powders for the same weight bullet?

So my question now is: Can I use small pistol primers and Unique behind a 45 grain jacketed bullet in .22 Hornet for use in Ruger 77/22?

Thanks for whatever advice you can give me.
Old June 15, 2009, 08:23 AM   #27
Magnum Wheel Man

UNCLE BILLY.... IMO thats pushing it...

Unique is faster than traditional Hornet powders... & while the Hornet jacketed bullets have pretty thin jackets, it still takes more force to push a jacketed bullet down a barrel than a cast bullet ( typically )... the faster powder combined with more resistance would likely give you higher than normal initial chamber pressures ( not a good reciepe for trying pistol primers in for sure )

I am trying ( in my test loads for my shorter barreled revolver ) a couple loads with Unique, but they are using 33 & 36 grain bullets, much lighter than the typical 45 grain, & I'm starting soft on loads, & using small rifle primers in that load...
Old June 15, 2009, 09:10 AM   #28
Uncle Billy

Thanks a lot, Magnum, what you wrote makes a lot of sense. Looks like the small pistol primers will be okay and I'll just have to wait until I can find the right powder. Or buy a mould and enter a new facet of the hobby.

Again, thanks.
Old June 15, 2009, 11:55 AM   #29
Russ5924

My Hodgdon book calls for W231 3.9 low to 4.4 max with 125 cast and a Cola of 1.125 you didn't say what your cola was. This is basicly the same load I have been working up and I also have taken it down to 3.7. But one auto my Beretta won't shoot them so I went back to 4.0 for now
Old June 16, 2009, 05:09 PM   #30
Mike82352

Well.......I shot some of the loads that I mistakenly loaded with SR primers, I did have one FTF because of a lite strike (Glock), but other than that they all shot fine. I did not notice any more felt recoil than the loads with SP primers. These loads were on the low to mild side, other wise I think I would have just pulled the bullets. I appreciate all the info from you guys, I don’t think I would have tried to fire these loads without knowing that it has been done before.
Thanks
Mike