The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 7, 2009, 06:32 PM   #1
BullsEyeBo

How Many Grains for PPC?

How many grains for shooting PPC from a 9mm or .45?

I could watch the bullets fly in the air at my local range and the guy was very accurate at 25yrds. I over heard someone say 45 grain, but I dont know my measurments for specific bullets.
Old April 7, 2009, 07:12 PM   #2
Carpe Diem

Hi....

I`m a newbie here, but long in the tooth at age 61 and a former PPC shooter. (It was one of the few competitive sports where I could win trophies. )

My loads were also very light but accurate. I believe I was only using 5.2 grains of Bullseye powder in the 45ACP cartridges that I was reloading for PPC. You could see the bullets hit the target if you stood next to me while I was shooting.

The key is to decide what gunpowder, bullet weight/type and pistol that you`re going to use in competition. Then look at the loading tables and build 10 cartridges at the lowest level of gunpowder, then build another 10 with an increase of another tenth of a grain, then build another 10 with an additional tenth of a grain...and so on.

Take your test cartridges to a shooting range, and using a bench rest fire the first 10 cartriges at a target. Change targets, and fire the next 10 cartridges using a bench rest...change targets again...and so on through all of your test rounds. (Mark each target with the gunpowder weight used for each of the 10 rounds in question.)

You`ll find that your groupings will open up and/or close, depending on the level of gunpowder used in the test cartridges. For competition, pick the gunpowder weight that is the lowest weight...but with a good grouping.

Good luck to you, and may you enjoy PPC as much as I did!

Last edited by Carpe Diem; April 8, 2009 at 06:34 PM.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:12 AM   #3
BullsEyeBo

Thanks for the in depth info.