The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 6, 2009, 09:17 PM   #1
Smogdude

Got my Lee deluxe turret kit today

So it's the beginning of my reloading hobby.. I now have a 4 turret press kit, dies for .223 and a few other goodies. All I need now is a desk to bolt the press to and set up storage and a work area.
I'm looking forward to getting started and from what I've been reading there's an issue with crimped in primers on the military brass. I believe most of the brass I have is Lake city and PMC... mostly LC. Is this just a crimp within the primer pocket that can be taken out with a few turns of a pocket cleaner?
I'm looking forward to getting started reloading my own and shooting my first batch of reloads.
Old April 6, 2009, 09:33 PM   #2
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

No, you will need to get a special tool that removes the crimp. A primer pocket CLEANER will not do the trick. All major reloading equipment manufacturers produce one. You can swage or ream the primer pocket to remove the crimp.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old April 6, 2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Smogdude

Is there a rule of tumb that you start with a smaller charge for nato stamped military brass since it's thicker than commercial .223?
Old April 6, 2009, 09:47 PM   #4
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Yes, military brass is generally thicker, thus less volume...which can raise the pressure for a given load. If you start at the starting load and work up you will be ok. Some people say go 5-10% under starting loads and work up. This is wise. It's up to you.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~