The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 25, 2024, 02:56 PM   #1
revarc

Advice on cast bullets

I found a good deal on 1000 SWC cast bullets, manufactured by MSB Bullet Co, Fleetwood, NY (cannot find a reference). The carton states 156 gr weight; however, upon opening and checking, the average weight is 166 gr. The carton states .358 dia; I'm measuring .359. Bullet length is .721". Labels on the carton state "Linotype metal" and "Alox and dry lube". The bullets are noticeably sticky to the touch.

What do I have? Does the diameter and stickiness matter in mid-range loading them for my Pythons in .357 brass? Is there a way to remove the stickiness?

I have no in-house way to resize these, if that even matters. It seems to me that the stickiness would hold dirt, etc., which seems to be a disadvantage.

I appreciate any advice you can share.

revarc
Old February 25, 2024, 07:13 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

Welcome to TFL.

The stickiness is the lube. You want to leave that on.

The .359" diameter is no problem. Normally, a cast bullet for 357 Magnum (or 38 Special) will be .358" diameter. The .001" difference could be a measuring error (or the lube). But either way, it's not significant.

The 166 grain weight is peculiar. Look for 165gn data. If not, you can start with 158gn data, but start a couple 1/10th grain below minimum and you'd be fine.

Let us know what propellant you intend to use.
Old February 25, 2024, 10:18 PM   #3
mehavey

The ALOX lube that matters will inside the case upon seating.
(You can wipe off anything on the nose if you want.)

358's fine. in fact desirable w/ cast.

Load for 158 SWC and just back off two tenths as noted by Nick above.
Old February 26, 2024, 02:38 AM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

ALOX is an old formula, and stays sticky unless it has been exposed to the air for a LONG time (years, usually). After you're done seating and crimping, simply wipe off any ALOX on the outside of the round and you're good.

Linotype is a specific alloy, and while it is considered "hard" its not the hardest thing out there. Do a check (rule of thumb) and see if pushing your thumbnail (hard) into the bullet makes a bright mark, or a gouge. IF your nail gouges the bullet consider it "soft".

Pythons often have "tight" barrels, and while .359" shouldn't be a problem, keep an eye on it for leading.

The difference in nominal vs measured weight is a puzzle, its always possible what's in the box is not exactly what the label says it is.
Old February 26, 2024, 06:32 AM   #5
mehavey

I know that ALOX gets a bad rap for "stickiness," but I've found the following resolves that issue while still retaining the almost magical qualities of that auto-body undercoating:

- Put (very) small dab of (Lee) Liquid ALOX on thumb forefinger -- just "greasy"
- Rotate sized bullet between fingers to grease it up. (you don't need excess/fill groove... just "greased")
- Place on dinner plate upright as you grease each one
- Throw in oven preheated to WARM/170 --turn the oven off -- allow to cool overnight.

Load/Shoot next afternoon
Old February 26, 2024, 05:21 PM   #6
gwpercle

For the stickyness an automotive product called Motor-Mica ( it is white powdered graphite) sold in auto parts stores and Midsouth USA is the old school product to dust the sticky bullets with ... the graphite acts as a un sticky powder and dry lube .

I have even used Talcum powder to un-sticky bullets with ... it may not be as good as white powdered graphite ... but the talcum powder made them not-sticky and it didn't do anything to my gun barrel ... no talcum fouling !!!

Bullet diameter is fine ... you want a cast bullet a little on the fat side , they will size down upon firing .
A undersize cast bullet will lead your barrel like all get out ... .359" is good !
Gary
Old February 27, 2024, 08:36 AM   #7
Shadow9mm

You should be fine. Juust make sure to flare your case mouths, and expect the loads to be a little smokey from the alox.