The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 13, 2008, 07:33 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

Cast Bullets & accuracy... an oxymoron... or am I...

just a moron

I'm getting back into reloading, & jacketed bullets are realy the only thing I've got expirience loading...

before getting started, I did up an inventory of all my equipment & supplys ( I've now got all my father in laws stuff ( he died several years ago, & was who got e into reloading in the 1st place ), & I've accumulated lots of stuff over the 7-8 years that my loading bench had been inactive )... I see I now have lots of cast bullets, both commercially cast & home cast, & I have all the equipment needed to begin casting my own, which I've never done...

... but lets start with my 50 caliber bullets... I bought an old Martini rifle several years ago, which is now chambered in 50-70 gov. I got the loading dies, bullet molds empty cases, some loaded rounds, & an assortment of lead cast bullets...

in trying to sort them, & inventory what I had, I was dropping one on my powder scale, & checking diameter... I'm finding a large varations in weight even on lubrasized bullets ( lubrasizing is a whole other topic )... to start with I sorted all my 50 caliber cast bullets into groups by weight ( within 10 grains )I found I had 6 "groups" of 50 caliber bullets...

I realize that there can be more variance between bullets the heavier they are & the bigger the bore, but to you guys that are accuracy shooting the 45-70 ( for example )... how closely do you sort your bullets before loading ??? do you remelt the ones that are over / under your chosen weight, or save them until you have enough to develope a oad for that weight of bullet also ???

I'll probably not cast or load any cast bullets this winter, but will continue to gather info, maybe play with the lubrasizer, & maybe try my "luck" at casting next summer...

BTW... talking bullets, I have lots of "older" bullets that are not made anymore... am I better off selling / trading at the gun shows, & buying new stuff, I guess I can't see developing a load, only to get something shooting good, then not being able to get any more of them ???... some cartridges are just better for plinking, & I can see keeping those odd bullets for plinking, but for like 25-06 ( for example ), I can't see loading that old / odd stuff ???
Old October 13, 2008, 07:42 AM   #2
Jim Watson

I shoot a little BPCR with a .38-55 and 335 grain bullets.

When casting my own, I weigh bullets before lubing (I do not size them.) and shoot matches with those at +/- 0.3 grain, a 0.7 grain spread. The ones a little farther out go for fouling shots. The real oddballs, usually the light ones cast before the mold is fully warmed, are melted down.

The commercial bullets I am shooting now are graded into one grain spreads and seem to be doing ok.

For plinking with a .50-70 you do not have to be so critical, a two or three grain spread in bullet weight, kind of like commercial cast pistol bullets, would not be out of line. Maybe even more, heck five grains would only be a 1% variation.

But keep bullets so far out of line as to work up a new load for?
No.
Old October 13, 2008, 01:47 PM   #3
Dr. A

Too much to deal with really considering the enormity of what you are asking. I'd recommend the Cast Boolet sight to learn.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

You can get into cast boolets as deeply as you want. I can and do shoot .75 in. groups out of 2 of my 45-70's, and can get less than a half an inch out of one of my 30-30's. This is with well fit, gas checked bullets that have loads designed for accuracy. Getting store bought bullets limit the conversation a bit, but make sure they are wider than your groove diameter by at least .001. I have good function in my 45-70's (a Marlin 1895, Ruger #1, and a Buffalo Classic) using .460 sized boolets. Lubes can vary, but usually a softer one will work better than hard. I don't pay much attention to the weight of my bullets. Much more attenton is paid to hardness (or lack therof). I prefer 1/2 wheel weights and 1/2 lead for accuracy with a soft lube. Others have their own opinions, but I seldom waste my money for store bought cast bullets, unless it would be something like Beartooth bullets. This fellow will size the bullet to your throat/bore and enhance the accuracy of your weapon.

As to experience casting, gathering info in my book means shooting. Get some down the bore and find what doesn't work. Driving too hard, to soft, or, to0 small bullets will give terrible accuracy. Use gas checks if shooting fast enough to warrant them. Usually 1400 to 1500fps and over needs them. I don't even play with my 30-30 unless I use checks.

I hunt with mine regularly and am continually experimenting to see what works. Good luck!