The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 7, 2009, 09:12 PM   #1
RedHawk357

To Alox or Not to Alox

Ordered a pile of 357 SWC and 44 Mag SWC bullets from Dardas the other day. Ordered from Penn as well but not expecting them any time, real soon. I hear that guy is busy as a one legged man in butt kicking contest. Anyways...wondering about the Alox thing. Was working up loads with Missouri bullets but was having a small issue with the starting loads leading up a little. Applied Alox to them and the leading sure was a lot more manageable. Just wondering if anyone has experience with the Alox or Not to Alox question. Thx
Old May 8, 2009, 07:25 AM   #2
kyle663

I've been using it on my cast boolits and not having any big issues with leading. I'm surprised that the cast boolits you are ordering aren't already lubed.
Old May 8, 2009, 07:46 AM   #3
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

it definately will not hurt to use a little extra lube in addition to the probably meager amount that is initially put on them by the manufacturer.

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~
Old May 8, 2009, 12:13 PM   #4
velocette

I've been applying the Lee Liquid Alox to all of the cast bullets that I shoot. This is in addition to the lubricant already on the bullets. Bore leading essentially stopped completely. This is with .38 spl, .357 M, .40 S&W, .45 ACP & .45 Colt.
It does not take much, just a squirt into the container full of bullets, then shake the H out of the container, then spread them out on a sheet of waxed paper to dry for a day or two.

Works like a champ for me.

Roger
Old May 8, 2009, 02:08 PM   #5
RedHawk357

Thanks everyone for your responses. Pretty much how I was thinking, but wanted to see if maybe the Dardas special lube might be enough. Nothing wrong with the Missouri bullets they worked just fine seemed to have enough lube. (my leading is just past forceing cone not at the muzzle location) Pretty happy with them. Just wanting to compare Lasercast, Missouri, Penn and Dardas Again thanks for the input.
Old May 8, 2009, 02:44 PM   #6
dwhite

I do the Lee Liquid Alox to all the cast bullets I use including the 158gr LSWC's from Oregon Trail which are very hard. It doesn't take much time. It doesn't cost much. It's easy to do.

It seems a thin film works as well if not better than a thick film so use it sparingly. I had an issue with my 40 S&W loads where the lube pushed up the sides of the bullet while seating. This ring of lube kept my pistol from going fully into battery. A little more case flare seems to have fixed the problem.

All the Best,
D. White