The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 5, 2009, 09:20 AM   #1
CTpistol

Shooting/Reloading moly 30-06

Whats the latest on shooting moly coated Hornady AMAX 178gr bullets?

I found some local for my 30-06 reloading.

This will be for a new REM 700

also, any good recipes for this bullet and IMR 4350?

thank you!
Old May 5, 2009, 03:41 PM   #2
James R. Burke

I would try e-mailing Horandy they should have the information you need, and give it to you. You dont want to trust receips on the net. It is so easy to make a typo. No one here would give you bad info, they will all give you great answers to your questions. I also would get a few manuals, and read them over. I try to get the manual for the bullet make. Loading Hornady get a Hornady manual, and a few basic ones like Lee. Get some manuals have fun, and keep it safe!
Old May 6, 2009, 10:28 AM   #3
Bart B.

I don't know about moly coated hunting bullets as I've only had one experience with moly'd bullets.

As a member of a USA international long range rifle team shooting at 300 to 900 yards, all 16 of us did a test one day shooting 70 rounds each. Half used moly coated Sierra 155-gr. 30 caliber match bullets and the other 8 shot naked (not coated) ones. All sorts of barrel makes and groove/bore diameters were used. Those shooting naked bullets had better accuracy than those using coated ones.