The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old October 30, 2009, 10:13 PM   #1
Tom Servo
Staff

Yobbery in the UK

Gun crimes in England have doubled over the last decade.

In Lancashire alone, the rate has risen by nearly 600%. London police are breaking with age-old tradition by sending out routine armed patrols, armed with Glock 17's and H&K MP-5's. Previously, the only armed officers in the Metropolitan area were the CO19 tactics units.

By all accounts, the United Kingdom should be relatively unscathed by gun violence. The English government has been abridging its citizens' rights to firearms ownership by increasing degrees since the 1903 Pistols Act.

Following the 1996 Dunblane Massacre, English gun control efforts came to their peak. The Firearms Act of 1997 outlawed nearly all functional firearms in civilian hands, and English citizens were left with no choice but to turn in their guns. The result was the largest peacetime confiscation of firearms I can recall, and it resulted in the complete annihilation of what was once a thriving gun culture.

The ostensible aim was to reduce violent crime. As shown this week, the measurable result was failure.

So, what went wrong?

The answer is simple, if a bit counter-intuitive at first. Confiscating firearms doesn't lead to a decline in violence–it simply changes the balance and means.

When guns were banned, criminals began improvising firearms. Pellet guns were added to the registry of unlawful arms in 2003.

Then London saw a rash of stabbing deaths. In 2006, there were proposals to limit the sale of all knives to those over the age of 18 (the prior limit was 16). That doesn't just mean combat knives. Cutlery of all stripes evidently poses a grave risk to the life of the ordinary English citizen.

Recently, there was a call issued to ban glass pint containers, lest drunken ladettes maim each other in a fit of rage.

Banning everyday implements doesn't change human nature.
Old October 30, 2009, 11:09 PM   #2
Christchild

That's a FACT!!!

Many in our American Government have been wanting to do the same thing with Our Rights, for decades.

I'm not 100% sure on exactly WHY they've failed to DisArm Us, as of today, but I'd like to know EXACTLY why they've failed... Is it the Constitution??? I think it's something other than the Constitution, but I could be wrong.

Our Constitutional Right to Bear Arms (and the fact that alot of Us are quite heavily armed) is a Major Part of why this Country is AS stable as it is, in terms of crime. What Lancashire is going through, is the exact same thing that would happen here, if we were actually disarmed, and I greatly feel for You All.

There is much that I could say, but alot of what I have to say, is probably best left said in person, and not posted for the entire world to see.

They're proposing banning KNIVES, now?! Wow. They need to ban Artificial Sweeteners, Automobiles, Preservatives, Tobacco, Alcohol, Saturated Fat, and Prescription Drugs, too!!!

This is InSanity.