The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2008, 05:23 AM   #1
smiljko

Reloading 3006 with help of 300wm die

First Merry Christmas and happy New year to all!

I managed to screw up decapper-sizer assembly on my 30-06 Lee die. So the question is-since I have a 300wm rcbs die at hand is it possible to first full lenght resize 3006 cases in lee die without sizer-decapper and then run it through 300wm die to expand neck by pushing decapper-expander through the neck and decap-of course I'll lower it so that the case has no contact with the die body.

Thanks
Old December 27, 2008, 10:47 AM   #2
oryx

You should be able to decap them with a different die. I would actually set it up to not touch the shoulder and set the decapping pin a little longer than normal. I would actually try decapping them all first prior to running them through your '06 resizing die without the decapping pin so you can clean inspect them prior to resizing.
Old December 27, 2008, 11:07 AM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

The answer should be yes. I suppose the .300 WM decapper extends too far down for the '06? It's shouldn't matter. You don't need to run all the way up over the expander; just far enough so the widest diameter on the expander passes the shoulder/neck junction on the case, then back off again. Use an inside neck lube to minimize any chance of neck distortion.

If your .30-06 Lee die is under 2 years old, I think it is on warranty and the part will be replaced free?

Another thought: If you got the yellow box .30-06 Deluxe dies set with a Lee Collet Die included, you can use its mandrel as your expander.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 29, 2008, 10:52 AM   #4
smiljko

Thanks guys! I have the cheapest RGB lee dies so I think that the cost of sending defective die to the states would be higher than a new one.
I've loaded some rounds with the help of 300wm die to last me while I'm waiting for new die.