The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 27, 2004, 11:48 AM   #1
K80Geoff

What Belt do you use and why?

Let's hear your recommendatioins as to the best belt to use for carry purposes.

What belt suits you best, which belt doesn't work?

I am asking because I now live in a state that allows unrestricted carry, and I am going through the agonizing process of picking leather and plastic for my guns.

I have learned that most of the belts I own are inadequate.

So what works for you?

Particularly from those of you who are, as the british say, "Prosperous"
Old May 27, 2004, 12:34 PM   #2
dev_null

Get a nice heavy one. Cost the same or less compared to a fancy "dress" belt and holds, and holds up, better and longer. Mine's a Kramer as well, IIRC, but any decent quality double-thickness belt from a reputable gun store will work.

- 0 -
Old May 27, 2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Mac Attack

I was just using a standard 1.25 inch belt up until recently. I found that with my 1.25" dress belt my pants would sag on my gun side and that I didn't really have a steady platform to carry from. I searched around and researched all the big names from Milt Sparks, Kramer, Galco, Alessi, Aker...etc. I received a lot of favorable comments regarding the Sparks belt and was prepared to place an order for one (12 week delivery times) when I found a very firm 1.5" Docker belt that was just as sturdy and nearly a quarter of the cost. I am very happy with mine and use it daily.

If dress is not a factor then I would go with one of the 5-stitch Wilderness Belts.

Mac

Last edited by Mac Attack; May 29, 2004 at 06:29 PM.
Old May 27, 2004, 02:03 PM   #4
deercop

I alternate between two, depending on color desired. I have a Kramer double-thick 1.25 inch belt in black, for when getting dressy, and my usual off-duty belt, which is a Horseshoe Leather 1.5 inch brown belt. I actually have a Horseshoe Leather 1.25 black on order, and when it gets in, I'll retire the Kramer.
Old May 27, 2004, 02:44 PM   #5
Rickstir

I'm not "prosporus" so I try to find sensible alternatives. I go to an old-fashioned shoe repair shop. He has good stiff belts on rolls and can cut them to length for me. He puts in the holes, and rivets the buckle. I carry a Beretta 92 FS a lot of the time and belt works great. When I carry my snubbie, I don't feel a thing. Been wearing this belt darn near everyday for 2 years and it still looks like new.
Old May 27, 2004, 03:23 PM   #6
StudentoftheGun

Wild Bill's

I have a belt made by Wild Bill's Concealment.
Day in and day out, on the job or on the street it has served me well.

Here's a link:

http://www.wildbillsconcealment.com/

-Student

Last edited by StudentoftheGun; May 27, 2004 at 03:26 PM. Reason: Dont let the cheesy music on the website deter you.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:24 PM   #7
AK103K

If you dont have dress code restrictions, the Wilderness Instructor belts are great. They are infinitely adjustable through their range, so you can get it just that extra little tighter, or skoouch it a bit looser after a big lunch. You can also tie in to a safety line if you need too. They come in 1.5 and 1.75" widths and can be had with a stiffener. They are great gun belts.
Old May 27, 2004, 04:37 PM   #8
Morgan

Uncle Mike's has a sythetic belt, looks like a dress belt, but has polymer sandwiched between the layers. Only $40, looks good and works great - better than some double thickness gun belts I've had.

www.unclemikes.com

I also like the Wilderness belt.
Old May 28, 2004, 01:28 AM   #9
Ghibli

Just received my CQC Stealth Pistol Belt from BlackHawk. The carbon fiber pattern is real cool and is suitable if formal dress code is required. It has polymer sandwiched between the layers and doesn't roll under load. I even ordered a matching pattern wallet to go with the belt
Old May 28, 2004, 09:20 AM   #10
ronin308

I use a Rosen 1.5" contoured belt. I have no problem toting a Government model around on it all day. For more casual use, I like the Wilderness 5-stitch but I recently gave mine to someone as a gift.
Old May 28, 2004, 10:10 AM   #11
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

Like Ronin308 I alternate between a Rosen 1.5" belt (I've got two, one "tapered" dress belt and one "untapered" sports belt) and a Galco Reinforced Instructor Belt (1.75").

"Notoriety is fleeting,
Anonymity is forever!"
Old May 28, 2004, 01:38 PM   #12
iso1

I'm with Mac Attack on this one...

I use a Docker belt, too. It works well, and was a LOT cheaper than the 60 or 70 bucks the local shops want for a "gun" belt.
Old May 28, 2004, 04:38 PM   #13
at2000

I have two Milt Sparks 1.5" belts -- one black and one cordovan. I have been very happy with them.
Old May 28, 2004, 06:12 PM   #14
K80Geoff

I guess my "prosperous" comment didn't go over well. Shotgunners would understand.

I have ordered an Uncle Mikes belt, contemplating a Wilderness.

I have tried Dockers belts, they are the ones I have problems with, they stretch.

Thanks for the replies
Old May 28, 2004, 09:56 PM   #15
Citori

5 stitch Wilderness ring belt or an SOE Rigger.
Old May 29, 2004, 01:02 PM   #16
Eric Larsen

Standard Dress/Gun belt......1 1/2" double thick in Cordovan......
HBE brand............mine! Shoot well........

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old May 29, 2004, 10:42 PM   #17
Weimadog

I use a Wilderness Tactical 1.5 inch 5 stitch belt.

It works well for me. I chose it for the adjustability.

Weimadog
Old May 31, 2004, 11:46 PM   #18
Airfix

Pwl

PWL (UK): 1.25" double thick black bridle leather dress belt with suede lining and nickle buckle. Business look and sturdy.
Old June 1, 2004, 06:56 PM   #19
vertigo7

Wilderness 5-stitch 1.75" Instructor belt.
One Sharps .52-caliber buffalo rifle. One Remington .45 120 rolling block. One Henry repeater rifle. Smaller caliber, but impressive rate of fire. One eight-gauge Remington, Derringer. One L.C. Smith 10-gauge stub twist coach gun. And this! A two-inch bore punt gun!"
--Hiram Gummer, Tremors 4
Old June 1, 2004, 07:56 PM   #20
Charles S

I must agree with all of the Milt Sparks recomendations. I have had an 1 1/4 inch belt from Sparks for 3 years and it has served me well.

Charles
Old June 21, 2004, 12:33 PM   #21
W Turner

Take a look at the belts made by Aker. They are made of two layers of leather surrounding a polymer stiffener. I have carried 1911's and Ruger GP-100's with both of mine and they have worked great. I have had both of mine for over 4 years and they are still going strong.

Another plus is the price. I beleive they are about $30 in the latest Gall's catalog.

W
Old June 21, 2004, 01:31 PM   #22
YosemiteSam357

Based on recommendations on another forum I picked up a "Rafter S Gunleather" belt. Got one of the regular (cow) leather ones for $45 plus shipping. It's a very strong, heavy belt, almost too thick for regular wear, but excellent at supporting the gun. If you want a heavy belt, but don't want to spend $100+ on some other maker's custom rig, I heartily recommend this one. They are custom made, so allow 6 weeks or so for delivery.

My biggest problem with belts is a fluctuating waistline; What fits me well this month may not fit next, but will again in 6 mos...

-- Sam
Old June 21, 2004, 02:44 PM   #23
FirstFreedom

Glad you asked

One from Looper Leather Goods.

http://www.looperleather.bigstep.com/homepage.html

The one I use for carry is $29.95 - it has a polymer insert between the 2 leather outers (so you don't see it), but which makes it extra stiff. Not sure which page on the website this particular model is on. I use the 1.5" one now. (I had used a 1.25" one, but the 1.5" is better for carrying).
Old June 21, 2004, 11:45 PM   #24
Blue Jays

Good Evening All-

Currently running a variety of belts, both in leather and synthetic. My preference is to go top-of-the-line with any items that will be utilized daily. Andrews Custom Leather and SOE have superb customer service while The Wilderness has acceptable customer service. With that in mind:

Leather / DressI have several of his belts, the fancy-stitch look great with denim jeans. The plain, no-taper models look superior with dress pants when ordered a bit narrower. Double-thickness leather ride better than the suede-backed, but that can simply be preference. Sam is a complete gentleman and professional with whom to do business.

Synthetic / Casual
  • Instructor's Belt in 1.50" khaki 5-stitch by The Wilderness. Perfect for hiking shorts. Pair this with a Safepacker.
  • Rigger's Belt by Special Operations Equipment in 1.75" black webbing. Also great with their various pouches or a Safepacker.

Of the two, The Wilderness belt seems "easier" to use in typical weekend clothing because the tapered and heat-sealed end makes it easier to don and doff with ease, plus it lays slightly flatter. The SOE belt is certainly stronger, and pulls tighter with extremely aggressive velcro. If you rarely get out of denim jeans or RR 5.11s, the SOE is the better choice. The buckle design also strikes me as superior between the two. Either of these belts will need to "grow" on you as you get accustomed to the greater stiffness they offer. For those using common, mall-purchased belts, you'll be totally shocked at the performance difference.

Regards,

~ Blue Jays ~
Old June 23, 2004, 07:15 PM   #25
Raider

A gun totin' woman lives in belt hell. I use a double stitched 1 1/2in belt that I made myself. Have to steal material and re-make by belt loops to fit. Since I have a nice small waist, the belt just looks fashionable and doesn't give anything away.

RIKA