The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old March 11, 2005, 04:40 AM   #1
wardog295

legal mg????

i was wondering if you grinded certain parts on a uzi down so that the bolt does not catch would that be legal? the law states that if a firearm fires more then one round per pull of the trigger it counts as a mg. however here is were i am confused. a person iknow who will remain unnamed grinded certain parts on a uzi so that when u pull back the slide it keeps firing with out touching the trigger. does this count as a mg? or not i sent atf a letter requesting info they have yet to reply!
Old March 11, 2005, 08:29 AM   #2
Casp_A

Um, yea, that's pretty illegal.
Old March 11, 2005, 08:54 AM   #3
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Yup. A realo truelo, out-and-out violation.

wardog295, I don't have a copy of the applicable law here, so I can't quote the exact language. You could probably locate it by a 'net search. I may be thinking of a state statute, but I believe the law reads something like:

. . . make, manufacture, or possess a firearm which discharges more than one shot with a single operation of the trigger or other firing device.
In your friend's case, the operation of the bolt, with the knowledge and intent to produce full automatic fire, certainly meets the standard.

From your question, I gather you are anxious to avoid any inadvertent violation of the law. In that light, I suggest you avoid being present when the guy possesses the gun (not just when he's firing it.) There IS a concept in law of shared possession. Under the particular circumstances, a charge might or might not stick, but simply being arrested could prove very inconvenient and expensive.

Best of luck,
Johnny
Old March 11, 2005, 10:20 AM   #4
shaggy

wardog295

Johnny gave you good advice, I hope you have the presence of mind to take it.

What you have described is most definitely an illegal conversion and if caught would get you a felony conviction, prison time (IIRC up to 10 years), loss of the right to ever own or buy a gun again, and the loss of your right to vote. BATFE has no sense of humor about violations of the National Firearms Act and they are prosecuted.

The statutes in question are 18 USC 922(o) and 26 USC 5801 et.seq.
Old March 12, 2005, 02:42 PM   #5
wardog295

thamks for answering my question. now i will try and get my friend to destroy the gun. and also keep away when he has the weapon.