The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 3, 2014, 09:29 PM   #1
skizzums

why no silver bullets?

i am sure this has probably been discussed, but really, other than cost, wouldnt silver make a great bullet? easy to cast, slightly heavier than lead and very malleable

i understand its expensive, but not reallt that expensive, its right about a buck a gram, so a couple bucks for a 55gr bullet, i would think thts a small price for a benchrester, and would you need a jacket?
it would only be viable if the jacket was not needed, if it still needs a jacket, theres no poiint
Old March 3, 2014, 09:32 PM   #2
jwrowland77

Couple bucks for a 55gr, then you're looking at $100 for a 50 count box. I'd get out of competitive shooting if it cost that much.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:38 PM   #3
skizzums

lets put cost aside for a sec, outside of that, woud it actually make a better bullet?
Old March 3, 2014, 09:38 PM   #4
Jimro

Silver actually makes pretty horrible cast bullets.

Too hard a metal to expand in game, poor accuracy from every platform its been tried in combined with the inherent expense of the metal make it a non-starter.

Jimro
Old March 3, 2014, 09:40 PM   #5
NoSecondBest

Leads been working fine for a very long time. Also, cast bullets under 30 caliber usually don't work as well as the bigger diameter bullets. In fact, they don't work very well at all. What do you suppose it would cost to cast a 180 grain bullet? How much better would it shoot? (maybe no better....no reason it should based on just weight and malability). If you only shoot one or two bullets a year and are making a six figure salary, it might have just a minute amount of merit....but I don't think you could measure the improved value. Hey, why not gold? It does everything better than silver. Seriously, you need to find out if it's worth the extra cost, works better, has a need, and last but most important.....compare it to lead and see what you've gained vs. cost compare. I suspect it's a bad investment. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old March 3, 2014, 09:41 PM   #6
Jimro

For further reading:

http://www.patriciabriggs.com/articl...rbullets.shtml

and viewing:

http://www.discovery.com/tv-shows/my...ad-bullets.htm

Jimro
Old March 3, 2014, 09:41 PM   #7
4runnerman

Because werwolf's don't exist. No really I think the cost factor wold be more than one would want.
Old March 3, 2014, 10:12 PM   #8
skizzums

that was a pretty good article, i got a good laugh when i saw the horse!!!

oh well, no magic bullet as they say
Old March 3, 2014, 10:41 PM   #9
ghbucky01

I think you should try it!

Seriously!

uh, and ummm, yeah.. where do you test your loads? ..
Old March 3, 2014, 10:44 PM   #10
Clark

In the 1950s I watched the Lone Ranger. He had Silver bullets.

My father, gun design chief engineer, had Silver tipped 30-06 bullets in the attic.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 3, 2014, 10:50 PM   #11
skizzums

i was actually going to do it, i have a ton of those 1gram ingots from, but after reading that it will wreck the mold, i think ill pass
Old March 3, 2014, 11:00 PM   #12
Nick_C_S

Quote:
wouldnt silver make a great bullet? easy to cast, slightly heavier than lead and very malleable.
Actually silver is LESS dense than lead; thus, ballistically inferior.
SG of lead = 11.35; Silver = 10.49.

As far as malleability, it's kind of hard. Copper actually has near ideal malleability for bullets.

The best material for bullets is Uranium - more dense than lead, and the perfect malleability. Of course, there's that whole radioactive thing. . .

Last edited by Nick_C_S; March 3, 2014 at 11:06 PM.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:23 AM   #13
Jim243

The last time I saw silver bullets used was in 1952 by Clayton Moore (The Lone Ranger). I use to use Silver Tips in 9 mm all the time but those are actually aluminum.

For vampires and werewolves I use a silver stake and a lot of garlic (LOL).

Jim
Old March 4, 2014, 05:34 AM   #14
leadcounsel

Is this a serious question...?

The answers seem glaringly obvious. Since the best bullets are cheap, dense, and soft material, lead is ideally suited and perfect for bullets.

Cost. You can't ignore this. May not seem like much for an individual bullet, but en-mass the cost is huge. Same reason currency is no longer made from silver. It's too expensive, particularly to waste in an expendable bullet.

Box of a hundred bullets might weigh a couple pounds. Think about a few pounds of lead at $1-2 per pound, versus a few pounds of silver at $20+ per OUNCE, or $320+ (current value) per pound!!!!

Heck, just in the last couple years silver hit around $50 per oz... and has often touched $30 per oz in the last year or so. Those would be some extremely expensive bullets!

Per bullet, the lead cost is practically zero. Yet, considering lead bullets, copper jackets, and brass cases and powder and primers cost somewhere around 50 cents give or take, a silver bullet might cost 10 or 20 times that... not sure I'm willing to pay $5 or $10 each for my 9mm rounds!

Copper makes a cheap, excellent jacket, but even copper prices have become quite high in the last few decades, as evidenced by the US mint turning to alternatives in the penny, and the rising costs in PMs used in ammunition. Anyone notice the rising cost of brass, that stuff most people used to just throw out. Now, every time you pull the trigger your gun spits out a nickel!

Silver is less dense, and less malleable, than lead. So it would be a step backwards in performance.

Last edited by leadcounsel; March 4, 2014 at 05:48 AM.
Old March 4, 2014, 07:52 AM   #15
Tom Matiska

melting point 1763F vs 621F for lead.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:16 AM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
i am sure this has probably been discussed, but really, other than cost, wouldnt silver make a great bullet? easy to cast, slightly heavier than lead and very malleable
My understanding is that it does not cast well.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 4, 2014, 08:23 AM   #17
mehavey

Quote:
The best material for bullets is Uranium - more dense than lead, and the
perfect malleability. Of course, there's that whole radioactive thing.
Extract of Fact Sheet Issued by the Health Physics Society (Feb`10):

Studies have been conducted of workers and other per-sons who have ingested or inhaled [depleted] uranium, and there is no known association between low-level DU exposure and adverse health effects, including birth defects. In large quantities, DU exposure can cause skin or lung irritation, but only soldiers in the immediate vicinity of an attack that involves DU are potentially exposed to these levels of contamination.

Soldiers with wounds containing fragments of DU shrapnel may develop ef-fects at the wound sites. The health consequences decrease quickly once the DU is removed, but it is almost impossible to remove all DU fragments. Persons ex-posed to very large inhalation doses of uranium have shown minor, transitory kidney effects, which typically disappear within days to a few weeks after exposure.

Persons inhaling insoluble particulates that lodge in the lung may be at elevated risk of developing lung cancer many years later, particularly if they are smokers. But an excess of lung cancer has yet to be demonstrated in uranium workers or others exposed acutely or chronically to uranium.

https://hps.org/documents/dufactsheet.pdf

The GAP shouldn't feel bad about being kept in the dark, however.
As with all things political in war, truth is the first casualty.
~~~~~~~~~

That said, 2,100° is a bit high for my Lyman ProMelt.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:24 AM   #18
Bezoar

the setup required to actually cast a silver bullet that could be used without having to be machined, well lets just say that even the best of times youd have a 50-60 percent remelt rate, the cost would get you a new suburban.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:03 AM   #19
Garycw

I just bought one .45 ACP. $26... But it's 1oz.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:06 AM   #20
Don P

Polish up dem lead bullets and they'll shine like silver.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old March 4, 2014, 11:14 AM   #21
Jim243

I'll be, someone actually makes a silver bullet, even if it is a collectors example.

My fear is how much longer will LEAD bullets will be made or allowed. With the environmental impact that lead has and millions of rounds being fired each year, I can see lead going the way of the doo-doo bird (extinct). I have never tried lead free. Not sure what the results would be.

Jim
Old March 4, 2014, 11:15 AM   #22
JD0x0

Quote:
The best material for bullets is Uranium - more dense than lead, and the perfect malleability. Of course, there's that whole radioactive thing. . .
Depleted Uranium is the answer! I've seen some 'depleted uranium' buckshot for sale before. Not sure if it was a gag or real, but depleted uranium pellets or bullets would likely work great. Especially with pellets, since a .33 cal pellet will have more weight and therefore a higher sectional density and ballistic coefficient as a pellet the same size, made our of lead or steel.
Old March 4, 2014, 11:40 AM   #23
Colt46

Oregon Trail boasts silver bullets in their advertising

Of course lead bullets are never pure lead. All sorts of things are added to the mix to give the proper hardness and density particular manufacturers are looking for.
Their advertising boasts of silver in a 'proprietary blend of seven other virgin elements...'
How much silver is actually used is for them to know.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:32 PM   #24
wogpotter

IIRC "Guns & Ammo" magazine did a test as a series on "TV shooting" & used silver bullets in .45 Colt duplicating the Lone Ranger's load.

They were terrible

Wouldn't stabilize in rifling with a twist designed for lead density. Didn't cast well with poor edges on the grooves & were a huge pain to load because of the hardness difference.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old March 4, 2014, 01:00 PM   #25
WIL TERRY

THOSE WHO DO NOT READ HISTORY are condemned to repeat it.

Lordy.....