The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 11, 2013, 07:49 AM   #26
Virginian

Different brands and styles of sockets have different outside diameters. I do know one of the Kobalt sockets from Lowes will work perfectly, and my deep well Craftsman thinwall set has one that works also. Measure twice, buy once. I didn't make a note of the details when I did it because all of my shotguns wear a plug - except the SxSs.
Read the whole thread. Instructions on how to get it out are above. I also found putting the extension bar and ratchet on the socket and spinning it in the tube helps. If it isn't tight it won't work. You have to swage it out to the tube diameter.
Old October 11, 2013, 08:18 AM   #27
Deja vu

So I called up Remington. They will put a new no dimple tube in the gun for about $80.00 that is worth it to me. The gun has sentimental value to it. (it the first gun I ever bought my self). The "tool" I see for sale to push out the dimples is about the same price as a new tube.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old October 11, 2013, 11:09 AM   #28
g.willikers

Now, who here doesn't have a dremel tool.
What would you use to modify your 1911?
Old October 11, 2013, 10:00 PM   #29
Sarge

I've got an old piece of construction dowel (mild steel) that is about 8 inches long and stepped in two diameters. The first diameter knocks the dents out enough for the second, which has to be driven in and is tight enough to tap raise the dents with a little ball peen hammer. Even at that, I still like to use a fine sanding drum to remove all traces of them.