The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Firing Line Gun Show > Retail Deals and Feedback

Notices

Closed Thread

Old March 26, 2005, 12:50 PM   #1
1BadF350

Gilberts Indoor Range, Rockville Md. Terrible.

Rockville, Md. Gilberts Indoor Range requires that you shoot their ammo period. Whether it's a rental gun or your own personal firearm. If they don't have or don't carry the ammo for your gun then you're out of luck and can't shoot it.
They claim that it has to do with some BS Motgomery County regulation, what that regulation is, I haven't a clue. I don't remember what ammo they sold for the handguns but it was in a green box. They sell pretty much any brand of rifle ammo but at outrageous prices.
One month membership is $40.00. You get 3 range trips in one month.
Anything after 3 times costs you an extra $10.00 each time.
Guests of a member are supposed to be able to shoot with that member for $8.00 a day, however when I took my girlfriend with me they charges me the one day membership fee for her $29.00. I argued but it was no use. The only reason I paid it was because she had never fired a gun before and was excited to shoot.

I bought my Sig P229 from them. $630 used, no box, no manual.
They sat on the State paperwork for days, so my 7day wait turned into 2 weeks.
They let me fire 50 rounds (at my expense) through it in the range after I paid for it. I picked it up, waited 2 days and went back to shoot. The darn thing jammed after every 2 shots . Being as this was my first handgun and I didn't know what was going on, I asked them for some help. He first tried to blame it on limp wristing but it did it to him after the first 4 shots. Then they brike it down and told me it was extremely dirty. I got real hot and told them that that's how they gave it to me 2 days ago .
I don't go there anymore and I hope no one here ever buy's a firearm from them.
Old March 26, 2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Fred Hansen

Hmmm...
  • Lives in one of the most anti-gun states in the world.... CHECK!

• Lives in one of the most liberal and outrageously regulated counties in the world... Check!

• Must be the fault of the local business... CHE... um... er...

I used to hear the same sort of complaints from the folks I grew up around in the People's Demonratic Communewealth of Massachews***s, and I'd say 'Hey! You guys are the ones who keep voting yourselves more handouts from government, why do you not see that that same government is going to use that power to take away your rights?' They would say "Oh no man, it's not the government man, it's the mean old businesses and the corporations man. Our Union Rep Tony "Big Bones" said so." No arguing with that kind of logic.

Good luck and God bless you 1BadF350. I'm surprised that the fine liberals in Maryland even let you have your planet destroying, soccer-mommy killin' F350. Psst... please don't be surprised when your state and/or county outlaw your truck too.

:barf:

Thank you God for delivering me - your humble but unworthy servant - from the den of iniquity that is the East Coast, and may your wrath rain down on the heads of liberals everywhere. Amen.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old March 27, 2005, 04:53 AM   #3
Gunrnr

I thank God every day that I live in America....oh, MD IS in America...WoW! Hmmm...how the heck does THAT work?

Now please don't think I'm bragging, but here in li'l ole' NM (EVEN WITH a 2:1 demo majority), we don't register NUTHIN' and we (finally - after bustin' our tails for 7+ yrs) have CCW.

I live 25 minutes from our 695 acre gunclub with several handgun ranges, 100 to 1000 rifle ranges, shotgun ranges, clubhouse, training center...you get the picture. Unlimited visits from sunrise to sunset except when there's construction. May bring friends (non-members) because when they see our setup, they JOIN! The dues? ===>$100 initiation + $150 per yr.

Y'all don't bust the doors down rushing to move here, OK?

Gunrnr
"Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] by the clean end."
http://nationalgunforum.com/index.php
Old March 27, 2005, 05:17 AM   #4
seed

Quote:
Y'all don't bust the doors down rushing to move here, OK?
Don't worry...We won't.
Old March 27, 2005, 06:48 AM   #5
lance658

Right there with you

F350. I have a friend who lives in North Potomac, his Dad is a shooter....I've heard the same line from him about Gilbert's. He is cantankerous, so I thought it was himIt's his patented first pull gun range horror story. So, I second that sentiment, if you are treated badly, do not patronize that establishment anymore. Remember, a customer who has a good experience tells an average of 3 people. A customer who has a bad one, tells an average of ten or more. (Yes, I was in sales for along time...)
Old March 27, 2005, 09:51 AM   #6
dev_null

I don't see what ragging on MD has to do with it, y'all. This is bad service no matter where the hell it happens.
Old March 27, 2005, 01:30 PM   #7
cpileri

Location: Peoples Republik of Maryland, Sister State to Kalifornia
I checked it out once

when I lived in MD I checked it out. About the only thing going for it is that you could rent Full Auto's. For some of us, that's the only way we'll get to shoot one.

There is no regulation i know of requiring you to use their ammo except the one in the owner's mind that reads 'make as much money as possible'.

The shooting situation in MD is so desperate that they know some folks will pay anything to shoot once they finally make the long trip out to shoot.

I know distances between ranges is annoying in the Rockville/Silver Spring area, but i found myself often enough at On Target in Laurel: limited to pistols and pistol caliber carbines, but no other problems.

The NRA range in VA is the other place I used, but its sort of a drive off and its hours are screwy, not corresponding with the website, and often enough are closed for some special event or competition. It got to the point where I stopped going because after an hours drive, it was pretty frustrating to be turned around because it closed at 10AM "today only" for some special shoot that you ain't invited to! But you can use any ammo and gun you want.

If I ever had to go back to MD, I would eat cyanide... kidding... I would join a private club like ISaac Walton or one of the Assoc Gun Club of Baltimore ranges.

C-
Old March 27, 2005, 01:48 PM   #8
novus collectus

Where is the range in Laurel? Ive been driving the wrong direction.

1badf350,
Thanks for the heads up. I think the green box may be lead free stuff. Never heard of Mont. Co. say anything bout what he said. Not sure what part of the Co. you live in but maybe you should try NRA headquaters range. I've never been there but I heard it is cheap for NRA members and even if you're not you can still use it. I think it is right off the beltway.
If the guy told me that I had a limp wrist I would have called him names and made him take the gun back. Pretty sure that any properly functioning gun would work the same for you and me as if it would work for a real limp wrist like Librerache.
Old April 3, 2005, 04:58 PM   #9
Jaywalker

I don't think that's a "Maryland" thing - it's a "Gilbert's" thing. They have another store/range in Fullerton, Virginia, with the same policies, IIRC. Didn't care to pay the freight, so I've never used it. Never bought anything there, either - not a coincidence, BTW.

Jaywalker
Old April 5, 2005, 04:35 PM   #10

My experience with Gilberts vs the other Md gunshops has been similar to '350's. There are simply too many other options than to waste hard earned money on those miscreants!!
Old April 6, 2005, 09:19 PM   #11
Spot77

Never heard of the place.

I guess that's a good thing, eh?

I'll stick to On Target where I get treated like royalty most of the time.
Old April 7, 2005, 01:07 AM   #12
Avid Concealer

Wow! That place sounds horrible! You screwed yourself over by buying anything from them. I didn't know MD was so strict on the laws as well. Sorry for the troubles they put you through man, and good luck finding a better range!
Old April 7, 2005, 04:29 AM   #13
Norton

While MD is certainly no paradise for gun owners....this thing with Gilbert's is way out of line even for here. Those prices are outrageous....poor service aside.

On Target is actually in Severn....a little further north than Laurel. It's on Rt 175 right next to Fort George G Meade. If you know where Arundel Mills is, it's about 3 miles south of there.

Annual membership for individuals is around $125.....our family membership is $190.....unlimited range time, guests are something like $4 an hour. You can use your own ammo, though rentals must use theirs.
Old April 7, 2005, 05:58 AM   #14
novus collectus

I KNEW IT!!!!

I was going nuts driving around Laurel looking for the OTHER On Target. I was impressed with On Target as well (the one in Severn not far from Odenton).

They had a brand new S&W 500 for < $900 dollars once when I saw one for $1100 somwhere else.
Old April 13, 2005, 09:54 PM   #15
John Ringo

The staff there sucks. I went in there one day looking for some ammo for my .44 Magnum and they stood there like a bunch of fools looking at each other. I left mad.

JR

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old April 13, 2005, 10:01 PM   #16
novus collectus

John Ringo,
Go to Potomac Arms next time you want 44 mag. It's in your part of town and I've had good experiences with them.
Old April 13, 2005, 10:11 PM   #17
John Ringo

Thanks Novus. Actually I have already been in there. Nice folks. Very friendly.

"I like these calm little moments before the storm (Stansfield, The Professional)."
Old April 22, 2005, 03:30 PM   #18
IDriveB5

i was just at gilberts today taking a look and along with everything you guys said, i wasnt that impressed. the only thing that attracts me to the place is its only about a 10 minute drive. can you all post up some contact info for the On Target place and potomac arms(is this a range also)? ive been to MSAR before, and its quite the drive.

i found this thread on google and have been reading various other posts on this forum for about an hour now. i turn 21 this fall and i am looking forward to purchasing a 686 w/ 6" barrel. i used to shoot an older model 686 with my great uncle in NC when i was a kid, so this pistol has some sentimental value and from what ive read so far seems to be an excellent choice. if you all have any suggestions, information youd like to pass along, id be very greatful.

Daniel
Old April 22, 2005, 04:13 PM   #19
novus collectus

Welcome to TFL,
Potomac Arms is a gun shop that's been in Alexandria for something like fifty years now. On Target is in the Glen Burnie, Serverna Park area in Anne Arundel County and it is a decent range (by local standards). I can't tell you exactly where it is since I was always the inatentive passener whenever I went there with friends. But I think you can take rt 32 East practically the whole way there from Silv. Spring. They sell guns as well and they are much much safer than MD Small Arms. I just came from MdSA an hour ago as a matter of fact and the only reason I did not go to On Target is that I'm too lazy to ask my friends to tell me how to get there. MdSA is also a quick drive for me.

For buying a gun I suggest The Armory in Annapolis on rt 450/West st.. They are new owners of an old gun shop location. They will order a gun for you if they don't have it and will be nice to you doing it because they love new customers. Went there again yesterday and he has a good selection of milsurp rifles now. If you like misurp then you will be happy to know that he has 4 or 5 M1 carbines (a few from WWII) and 4 or 5 M1 Garands and a couple of other military rifles that are much cheaper than the M1's.

There may be something closer to you, but I'm not familiar with Mont. Co.

If you want to join a private range that you can shoot pistols and rifles, then look up Berwyn Gun Club located in Bowie on the web. (Bowie is my town, but I am not a member there yet)

Good luck and good shooting.
Old April 22, 2005, 04:36 PM   #20
1BadF350

Heck there's Atlantic Guns in Silver Spring. On Bonifant Street I think. They also have one in Rockville which is the one I go to. I enjoy going there, those guy's are nice. Let me know when you want to go. Better to go on a Thurday, Friday, or Saturday. They're in the phone book and also at www.atlanticguns.com but the web site hasn't been updated for a while.
Old April 22, 2005, 07:36 PM   #21
IDriveB5

thanks for the welcome and the info. ive been into atlantic guns, in silver silver spring location and the rockville location, since its about a mile from my school(im an ME student at montgomery college). are any of you guys in any private clubs like izaak walton? seems as though they have a chapter pretty close to me.
Old April 22, 2005, 08:51 PM   #22
Spot77

On Target:

www.ontargetdot.com

I usually deal with Ed or Helen.
Old April 22, 2005, 10:15 PM   #23
novus collectus

Foun the one near me but may be too far for you. www.berwyn.org/
Old April 23, 2005, 06:01 AM   #24
1BadF350

I've been thinking about joining IW for a while. Rockville or Germantown Chapter.
So your at good ole Harvard on the Pike, I went there too. Got an Associates in Criminal Justice.

I didn't realize you were that close to me. I work in Rockville every day. Next time you see a HUGE black F-350 pickup on Rockville Pike, honk and wave...it's me.
Old April 23, 2005, 11:31 AM   #25
IDriveB5

^will-do. is it modded? i always pay attention to all the big trucks that are modded, esp the diesel ones. under my profile, the url to my homepage is listed, shows the little grocery getter i cruise around in. im thinking about picking up a 10/22 in a couple of weeks, so ill be range bound again.
Closed Thread