The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 28, 2005, 04:38 PM   #26
Mastrogiacomo

Reading the thread and gotta ask, what's a "coach gun?" Sorry for the silly question...
Old May 28, 2005, 04:53 PM   #27
Nimitz87

gun that i have for the BG's... gun that 95% of the police use like stated...never had a failure...dont think i will either.

great great shotgun.

IMHO

Chad
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old May 29, 2005, 02:53 PM   #28
jvlip3

Coach Gun refers to Stoeger Coach gun which is a short barreled(20inch) double barrel shotgun. It was patterned after the shotguns stagecoach riders used to carry 100 years ago. I currently own one and it is great. Check out Stoeger's website. There are also other makers too.
Old May 29, 2005, 05:23 PM   #29
Nimitz87

also where the term "riding shotgun" comes from...if you rode shotgun in a wagon you were the guy w/ the coach gun...hence coach shotgun...

Chad
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old May 29, 2005, 05:26 PM   #30
Mastrogiacomo

That's a sharp looking gun. What is the general price of the Stoeger coach guns?
Old May 29, 2005, 05:39 PM   #31
Nimitz87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastrogiacomo

That's a sharp looking gun. What is the general price of the Stoeger coach guns?
$320-$375 NIB....thats the msrp. from stoeger's website. www.stoegerindustries.com

Chad

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old May 29, 2005, 07:23 PM   #32
jvlip3

That picture looks just like my Stoeger except I added a slipover leather recoil pad. Paid $420 for mine with accessories.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:24 PM   #33
joab

Quote:
what's a "coach gun?
My generation called them sawed of shotguns, but apparently that term implies an illegally shortened shotgun these days. And coach gun sounds like you know what you're talking about, and makes people ask questions so you can prove it

Did you ever get your lever gun?
Old May 29, 2005, 09:29 PM   #34
Mastrogiacomo

Working on the lever gun. I got a S&W 686 2" this weekend and picked up my father's 870 home defender at the same time. Looking forward to using it tomorrow, weather permitting. Tonight I got a new computer desktop so I've got to pay off the credit card before even thinking of a new gun.
Old May 29, 2005, 09:35 PM   #35
joab

I'll have to revisit that thread with comparison thoughts
Old May 29, 2005, 11:07 PM   #36
jonathon

Can't go wrong with a Winchester 1200/1300 or a Remington 870.. both are quality. I just happen to have had a Winchester passed down to me Shoots great, and I know it will fire every time I pull the trigger. Handles 3" 00 buckshot magnums pretty good to, came factory with a thick rubber butt pad.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old May 30, 2005, 06:50 AM   #37
jvlip3

These days the term Coach Gun actually refers to legal 18" to 20" Double Barrel Shotguns which were marketed for Cowboy Action Shooting. However there are people like me who drifted back to the older action types. I used to carry Glock pistols, so called assualt rifles, and semiauto shotguns. However life showed me the hard way that firefights are only in wartime or Hollywood. I now carry revolvers, bolt and leveraction rifles, and a double barrel shotgun aka coachgun.
Old May 30, 2005, 07:44 AM   #38
Dwight55

I see where you put down your $$ for the 870, . . . it is a good choice. If you ever get a chance to shoot a Beretta police model, . . . you'll find it too is a great choice.

I prefer it to the 870 as it is more like the old Kodak commercial "Just point and shoot".

It shoots 2 3/4 or 3 in shells, 7 of em, and they spew out as fast as you can do the trigger.

Mine came with rifle sights, and a sling. It is my "after my 1911 is empty" HD weapon, . . . and sits as we speak with 2 #4 buck followed by 2 00 buck, followed by 2 slug. All I have to do to make it go is drop one in the empty chamber, . . . push the button and she is good to go.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old June 5, 2005, 03:21 PM   #39
T WARD

I'm not sure what a 870 max is. But you can get a M3 adapter for your 870p for about 6 or 7 bucks from companies such as Sports South Inc.