The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 1, 2014, 04:59 PM   #1
JD0x0

Probably one of the coolest 10/22 builds you'll encounter

Probably one of the coolest converted 10/22's you'll see.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuS3G7YKrj4

More of a novelty item than an actual gun you'd use for sporting...
A 60lb 'steampunk' Gatling gun. Lot's of unnecessary stuff for looks, but it's pretty cool that the rotating trigger keeps the gun classified as a semi-auto, but you can get a fire rate comparable to some automatic weapons. Obviously, no real practical use, but it'd make a fun 'toy' at the range. Copper clad and over 1300 hand rivets. Pretty neat work

In case you're wondering what exactly 'Steam punk' is...
Quote:
Steampunk is a sub-genre of science fiction that typically features steam-powered machinery, especially in a setting inspired by industrialized Western civilization during the 19th century. Steampunk works are often set in an alternative history of the 19th century's British Victorian era or American "Wild West", in a post-apocalyptic future during which steam power has regained mainstream use, or in a fantasy world that similarly employs steam power.
Old October 1, 2014, 07:00 PM   #2
joe45c

yea that was pretty cool, but he needs to have a lots bigger magazine, and so kind of support stand. But his is way sharper than my stock 10/22.
Old October 1, 2014, 07:46 PM   #3
USMCGrunt

Well, I guess it's unique. However, a 60 pound .22 that can't be effectively aimed at anything doesn't make much sense to me. Then again, the whole "steampunk" thing never turned me on. Oh well, there's sillier stuff in this world to spend money on I guess.
Old October 1, 2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Venom1956

The actual 10/22 barrel is in the middle of the 'barrels and the faux barrels rotate around it. Just a heads up.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old October 2, 2014, 06:34 AM   #5
Brotherbadger

It's different, I'll give em that.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old October 2, 2014, 10:32 AM   #6
g.willikers

So, he turned a bump fired 10-22 into an art form?
And it looks like he handles a 60lb lump easily.
Old October 2, 2014, 11:03 AM   #7
JD0x0

Quote:
The actual 10/22 barrel is in the middle of the 'barrels and the faux barrels rotate around it. Just a heads up.
Yup, I'm sort of tempted to make a rotary trigger 'machine gun' without the faux barrels, and give it some useable sights and a stand. When I've got some spare cash. I'm not sure of the legality, but I want to look into having two rifles mounted together with a single rotary trigger that alternates between the triggers of each gun, which should technically still classify it as a semi auto but, I'd have to look into that more before I attempt anything like that.

Quote:
So, he turned a bump fired 10-22 into an art form?
And it looks like he handles a 60lb lump easily.
Well, I'm pretty sure the rotary trigger is significantly different than being 'bump fired' I don't think a 60Lb .22 has enough recoil to even bump fire.

And yeah I did notice he seems to handle the weight pretty easily. He's a pretty big guy and I think most of the weight distribution is towards the rear of the weapon, so he can just rest the weight on his thigh/hip most of the time
Old October 2, 2014, 09:07 PM   #8
uradaisyifudo

So most of the weight is for looks... How does that rotary trigger work?
Old October 2, 2014, 09:27 PM   #9
marine6680

A little crude, but still neat.

Some of those steampunk guys can make some very intricate and detailed stuff.

It can be beautiful works of art, most are not functional though.
Old October 3, 2014, 07:36 AM   #10
Snyper

You can buy a kit to mount two 10-22's to a frame with a rotary trigger that fires them both:

Quote:
My new friend is the bemused proprietor of a Cabelas Double 10/.22 ‘Gatling Gun.’

As you can tell already, it’s not a true Gatling Gun; it’s two Ruger 10/.22 barreled actions strapped side-by-side in a machined aluminum fixture with ventilated barrel shrouds, twin crank-operated trigger cams and quadrant sights.

It’s all pintle-mounted on a miniature tripod, and it looks like the most badass double barrel paintball gun you’ve ever seen.

In action, the triggers of the two Rugers are pulled by the alternating lobes of a crank you turn with your right hand. A left-hand pistol grip features a trigger-like lever that pulls the cam into contact with the triggers for firing.
Old October 3, 2014, 08:10 AM   #11
g.willikers

http://www.tacticalinc.com/gatling-gun-kit-p-571.html
Old October 3, 2014, 09:04 AM   #12
Pahoo

His money, his call !!!

Well, I enjoy tinkering with the 10/22's but this is way out. Just when you question yourself about going too far, someone goes past you. ....

Dry-ice to simulate steam; Really ???

Have fun and;
Be Safe !!!
Old October 3, 2014, 11:03 AM   #13
JD0x0

Quote:
You can buy a kit to mount two 10-22's to a frame with a rotary trigger that fires them both:
Yup, I saw a video of this thing on action, on youtube. The triggers seemed a bit on the stiff and clunky side, but I'm sure that could be solved with some trigger work. I'm assuming the kit uses the stock trigger pull weight.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2yzcMPQZdU

Quote:
So most of the weight is for looks... How does that rotary trigger work?
Yes, probably 6-8lbs of it is the original rifle. The rest is the Faux barrels, electric motor, battery pack, aluminum and steel frame, copper skin with over 1300 hand rivets and the faux steam chamber all of which together probably add up to around 60lbs, or so the builder claims.