The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 21, 2013, 05:44 PM   #76
ROCK6

I understand the frustration, but it’s hard to bash the store if there’s a supply and demand issue. We went to a GM last weekend when visiting my wife’s cousin near Auburn, AL. They had a great selection of new and used firearms…over priced, but still a good selection. Ammo was way overpriced. They had zero 9mm ball, but several thousands of .45 ball (most 100 round boxes). The 100 rd boxes were priced at around $70 I think, twice what I could buy it for at home. Magazine prices were quite high as well, but they did have them on the shelves. The buying frenzy will subside, so patience is needed. This is another reason I’ve been buying every opportunity over the past couple of years and stocking up when prices and stocks are better.

It does suck, but that’s economics. I do commend Midway as they have been very consistent even if slow and limiting quantities. If the big box stores sold their stock at standard prices, some jackass would buy everything he could and throw it on gunbroker for three-times the price. When there’s this much demand and little supply, they big box stores want to at least keep something on their shelves and draw the crowds.

ROCK6
Old February 21, 2013, 07:31 PM   #77
meanmachine1961

I actually made my second gun purchase from GM yesterday. They had the Beretta Nano on sale for $399 so I scooped one up. That's $28 cheaper than Buds is listing them for and $80 cheaper than anyone else here locally.
Old February 22, 2013, 03:35 PM   #78
Roland Thunder

Quote:
Bass Pro Shops is another I won't waste my gas money on. Prices for some of the items I was looking for were almost 50% higher than Cabels. Going from memory 2 years ago a can of Hornady One Shot was $12.95 at BPS and it was $6.99 at Cabelas.
Ditto to that one and to top it off, the have a terrible return policy. You only have 30 days to return something even with a receipt. I only purchase things at Bass Pro if I can't find it anywhere else.
Old February 22, 2013, 07:04 PM   #79
Paul81

The only 2 chain stores we have here is GM andI Academy. I was looking for a Taurus 709, academy price was $300, but not in stock. LGS was $450!!! GM was $330. The service at GM was much better than the academy. While I was doingppaperwork the sales guy went and grabbed a little 22 rifle for my 8yr old son to look at. When paperwork was completed, while he was doing background ck me and my son wondered off looking around. He came and found me, letting me know everything was ready to go.
I'll gladly pay 10% more service. The guys at academy always seem like I'm bothering them when I ask to see a gun or ask a question
Old February 23, 2013, 07:42 PM   #80
wvshooter

I have several guns purchased from the GM in Charleston, WV. I bought a Ruger 380 pocket semi auto there last summer but that's probably going to be my last.

I used to find some nice prices there up until about two years ago. I got a perfect GP100 for $400. A mint Smith 686 for $400, (couldn't believe that one)
A new Bersa Thunder 380 for $250 and at least three other nice buys. You can't do that anymore. I don't know who's buying guns there now but it sure isn't anyone that's well informed.

I was in there a couple weeks ago and they had about 10 Beretta FS 92s that were in terrible condition. They looked about as bad as a gun can look. I think they were wanting $550. These guns had so much wear they had to be shot out. Looked like they had been in combat for some time. $550?

Last edited by wvshooter; February 23, 2013 at 07:50 PM.
Old February 24, 2013, 04:49 PM   #81
JohnO

I got one of my RRA 1911's from the WV store. Had them transfer it to the CO store.
Old February 24, 2013, 06:07 PM   #82

GM's alway been high in my neck o' the woods- I just go into look and see what I want, then buy elsewhere.