The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 11, 2008, 02:00 PM   #51
easyG

Nothing elaborate here....

Floodlights outside are on at night.
Doors are locked pretty much all the time.
Magnetic alarms on all windows and outside doors.
And I'm surrounded by nosey neighbors who apparently don't require sleep since they're up all hours of the night!!!
Old June 11, 2008, 05:04 PM   #52
DCTuey

Jared,

Your gun set-up sounds fine. Since you are the one who will be shooting it, how do you feel about the setup? Also, get some range time in with the light attached to the rails. I remember not liking my setup with the light, so I took it off. Practice clearing your house a couple of times with your rig. Defending your home with a gun under extreme stress is alot more easy when you have an idea of how you will move through your house.

So practice moving from room to room in the daylight and in complete darkness.

Hope this helps.

D Tuey
Old June 26, 2008, 07:25 PM   #53
Bob Lee Swagger

In your experience, which is a more difficult situation: smaller homes, or larger homes?

My residence is quite large, including it's own indoor swimming pool, so I am not certain I can effectively "sweep" the place if need be.

Edit: Also, how much do a good pair of night vision goggles run for?

Last edited by Bob Lee Swagger; June 26, 2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old July 11, 2008, 03:07 PM   #54
Jimtl

I bought a MasterLock Security bar today ... thanks for the tip!
Old July 11, 2008, 10:57 PM   #55
Striker071

Well Mr Swagger,

Nite vision goggles can be pricey for good ones. I always believe in the K.I.S.S. principle. That becomes another gadget you have to fiddle with in the middle of the night. Another thing that "Mr Murphy" can mess with and now your well made plan is "Kerplunk Kerfueyyy". I like the idea of a hand held light or a rail mounted light but I believe you should get instruction on how to use it properly and effectively. Practice practice practice...

But wait your Bob Lee Swagger.... all you need is a rubber band and a paper clip and you can take him out at 100 yards with it

Just kidding

Good Luck
Old July 12, 2008, 10:11 AM   #56
Slugthrower

Night vision goggles that are any good are Gen 3 or better and run in the 2k+ range.

The use of night vision goggles in a static position for surveillance is a reasonable idea. The use of NVGs as a means to search out a threat is bad mojo for most. They require extensive training to use effectively.

Want to find out how difficult they are to use in a dynamic situation? Go get a pair of regular binoculars and try to walk around while using them. Try to walk up a set of stairs and you will find out how limiting they are. NVGs take away your depth perception. Try covering your dominate eye and then try to do a little slap boxing with a friend. You will find that you are at a great disadvantage.

A far better idea is to equip the rooms in your house with ambient lighting. IE night lights. Having ambient light allows you to see the BG and you still have the advantage of knowing the layout of your house. This in no way is advocating the use of clearing techniques. Unless you have a well trained team with you it is a bad idea to search and clear a house even if you are a SEAL. Ambush is very hard to defend against and it is a tactic that the BGs and the good ones use to great effect. Unless the situation calls for immediate action to protect someone who is defenseless forget the "commando" room clearing crap. It may just get you killed.

Yes, the super tacticool lights can temporarily blind the BG. What happens if the BG has a buddy that you didn't see? I am sure we all can generate a mental picture of the outcome. Using a light to search a room is a beacon. May as well have a shoot/stab/bludgeon me sign on your back, IMO.

These things are only opinion, take them for what they are.

Thankfully most criminals are mostly dumb crooks. There are some that are professionals and very adept at what they do.

A favorite saying in the military is that "No plan remains intact upon contact." There is wisdom in those words. Having no plan is a plan to fail. Having a plan that needs adjusting on the fly is not as bad. Include alternate courses of action if and when the situation dictates. Fast thinking is an asset in the "tactical" tool box. As always keep it simple.
Old July 13, 2008, 10:14 AM   #57
Rmart30

I keep mine simple for the time being. Loaded 9mm w/2 b/u mags on nightstand.
8 shot Winchester 1300 loaded with BB shot behind bedroom door.
Cell phone and maglight on nightstand. Motion sensor lights outside, wireless motion sensor chimes, one in front of house, one in rear.
Hinges on front and rear doors secured with 3" screws. On the jamb side, throw away striker plates that come with locksets and replace with a 1/8 flat bar 6 ft long and secured to jamb with 3" screws.
Windows at ground level have almost clear window film (tint) applied. Instead of glass breaking and falling out with one hit, it will take multiple hits to bust it thru..... more noise= more time for me to react.
Old July 13, 2008, 11:41 AM   #58
obxned

Home Defense Strategy

Dogs! They provide early warning and first strike capability before you even have your eyes open.

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old July 13, 2008, 10:16 PM   #59
dabigguns357

home plan

i have posted this before in other threads but here goes.My primary weapon is a mossberg 12 gauge pump with a rifled slug barrel and a backup s&w 686 357 strapped and holstered to a clip on belt.My wife has a 410 filled with slugs and a snubbie 357 for back up.I have 3 nightvision cameras outside and 3 nightvision cameras inside which can be seen on any tv in the house and all are equipped with audio.The first indoor camera is above my bedroom door facing at an angle down, the second indoor camera is above the door facing into the kitchen at the back of the house and the 3rd is facing up the stairs to the kids room(no sneaking in or out for our sons)I want and can to see the threat coming from either the back or front door.The cameras help us see whats on the other side of the door before we shoot.We also have 2-way radios with earpieces for my wife and i,and in the kids room we have baby monitors that get turned on every night.Oh by the way the cameras i use came from walmart and were only 78.99 a pair.
In my bedroom i keep 2 shotguns,2 handguns,2 cell phones,2 sets of keys,2 flashlights,2 radios and 1 hammer for breaking windows if escape is nessary.I hope the camera advise helps you all as much as it has me.2 month ago i was able to give the police a video we made of both our cars getting broken into at the same time.The b/gs were caught because they were on tape.Smile and say cheese

I also have a plan if the electric gets cut too.