The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 7, 2007, 06:54 PM   #1
lfmayor

advice for gunsmith trouble

I'd really appreciate some opinions on what to do about a situation that has come about between myself and a Nevada gunsmith. June 2006, I mailed my No4 mk 1 rifle and fee here [URL="http://www.pyramid.net/sia/"] to have it rebarreled to 7.62x39 and adapted to take single stack ak mags.

To shorten this sad tale up, I've e-mailed this guy 4 or 5 times, phoned multiple times, actually spoken to someone 4 times, talked to him, his mother (for real), his assistant. I get to hear plenty of stories about how life is tough in Nevada, things that should be on Lifetime, and have had multiple assurances that my rifle would be ready --- soon, in two weeks, let me get right on that, etc.

From the hardships I'm hearing of, this guy might have had to pawn my Enfield off to make it through.

Anyone else out there experiencing trouble with this smith?

Any recommendations on how to chase this down? At this point, I'm pretty much disgusted with the whole deal, and would settle with my rifle and money back. If this guy's craftsmanship follows his business and work ethic, I don't think I want to be holding it next to my cheek and firing it.
Old September 7, 2007, 07:13 PM   #2
Harry Bonar

no4

Sir:
If it was me I'd pretty well write it off unless you are close enough to drive and TRY to get your rifle back.
Harry B.
Old September 7, 2007, 07:30 PM   #3
DonR101395

If you have any proof of ownership i.e. receipt, insurance paperwork, I would contact his local police department and file a stolen firearm complaint. If you mailed it USPS contact them as well with a fraud complaint. If you find out he pawned it, might as well contact the ATF since they have a dim view of FFL holders pawning other people guns for their personal gain. It may not get you your gun back or any money, but it might get you some satisfaction.
Old September 7, 2007, 07:35 PM   #4
Michaelm45

Wheres this guy at?
Nothing is working on his site for me.
Old September 7, 2007, 09:12 PM   #5
lfmayor

thanks for the responses...

Okay guys, thanks for the responses, let me explain the pawn shop thing... that was just me cracking wise. I was simply moaning about his moaning. I'll shred the artistic license here for a bit.

the facts are:

I have a hard copy of the delivery confirmation of my rifle being received by him via USPS.

I also have a hard copy of the confirmation from USPS that he cashed the postal money for 380.00 order I sent to him, this past December.

I have spoken to him as stated (with his mother too, twice), last time was 3 weeks ago and I was told then, by the owner/smith, that my rifle would be completed in 2 weeks. Today I spoke with another employee, who sadly isn't working on Enfield conversion and was unable to help me.

The website can also be found by doing a google/dogpile search on
"Enfield K"., please try this link http://www.specialinterestarms.com/ The company's name is Special interest Arms. Apparently, this guy has NFA / Class 3 or higher as well, he's got auto's, suppressed and SBR's on his website as being listed for sale. I don't think he's going broke, as in the pawn shop crack by me, but from talking to him I'm guessing he works harder on excuses not to work than work itself.

The business is located in Gardnerville Nevada, I looked it up and could write the "city manager" for what it's worth, if it's worth anything at all in a town of 5500?

My main interest was to see if anyone else out there in the readers list had experience with this company? Also, what can I do about this, this is interstate commerce and this guy is sitting on my money and my property, doing nothing. Harry, you said to write this off, I respectfully disagree.
This whole thing has me really, really P*st, I don't exactly print my own money and this represents a "big yearly gun treat" for me.

So, out of all the readers out there, one of you guys has to be a lawyer (or have a brother in law who's one). You don't have to fess up, but help a fellow out with some advice, even from a similar situation that you've had.

I'm seriously considering calling the ATF on this guy and explaining the situation, without the dramatics, if his bound book is as screwed up as his other business dealings then he's coloring outside the lines in it, too and frankly at this point I'm all about sharing the pain.
Old September 7, 2007, 09:30 PM   #6
lfmayor

found the original

Here's the post that got me started on this conversion... please bear with me here, I'm going to try and post the link by DMK in "art of the rifle".

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...+Interest+Arms

I found it up by looking for "enfield conversion". Originally it was an ad in SGN that I saw that had Enfields being converted to 7.62x54R, so when I searched firing line this came up and looked good.
Old September 8, 2007, 02:18 PM   #7
Harry Bonar

gun

Sir:
I completely understand - hope you get your rifle.
Harry B.
Old September 8, 2007, 05:14 PM   #8
ZEBRARANGER

I would definitly get LE involved and file a report. Who knows whos got that gun and what they are doing with it, and its in your name. I would contact the local Sheriff in his little town and fax him your paperwork as proof, and file a report as stolen.
Old September 9, 2007, 09:42 AM   #9
Hunter Customs

Did the smith give you an approximate date of when the gun would be finished before you sent him your gun and money?
If he did and it's several months past the time you should have received the gun, I would send him a registered letter.
In the letter I would explain that if I did not receive my gun within the next two weeks, with the work completed as contracted, or my gun in it's original condition and money back (postal money order only) I would be contacting the BATF.

If he did not give you an approximate date of completing the work ask him to put in writing when the work will be completed. Then you can either choose to wait for the gun with the work completed or have your gun and money sent back to you.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old September 9, 2007, 07:20 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

From time to time, I point out to wannabe gunsmiths that having some tools and an FFL is not enough, that you also have to learn how to run a business. Reading the above, I rest my case.

Jim
Old September 10, 2007, 01:30 PM   #11
paul salchow

Some times it's also a case of an owner who does not have a clue about gunsmithing and the smiths that have to take up the slack.
Get the local PD involved, that will put pressure on him to take care of the problem, i don't have any contacts down there with law enforcement or i would give you some help if i could.
You never really know what your going to get when you ship a gun out for work, the best advice i can give you is get everything in writing and don't pay up front.
We don't get money untill the work is finished, that can help keep things on time and done to the full work order, phone calls are a pain but contact is nessary when your dealing with something small or large, there all the same,somebody else's property.
When you get this back, give me a call, i will see if i can help you out.
Old September 10, 2007, 03:00 PM   #12
dutchy

Maybe this was as sign from Saint Lee to keep from tinkering with his fine products. Why in the world rape an Enfield with a russian intermediate round?
Old September 10, 2007, 03:49 PM   #13
Cowart

While this is not a sure-fire way to get the gun back, it might cause the culprit some grief in the future:http://ag.state.nv.us/org/bcp/complaint_form_bcplv.pdf
Old September 10, 2007, 08:16 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

"...our web site, updated 8/25/07..." This professional bubba's site says they're way behind, but you know that. I'd send him a registered letter demanding your property and money back too. Over a year is far too long. If he doesn't respond the next step is to have a lawyer send him a letter. Mind you, that will likely cost as much as your rifle is worth.
Old September 15, 2007, 04:56 PM   #15
lfmayor

progress

I slept on it and this past Saturday I looked up some sites on the net and then I called. I ended up talking with the owner's mother again... who does seem to be a nice lady, I wasn't rude, but I was direct. I mentioned the head of the town council to her, but I think what got the ball rolling was when I mentioned his bound book and the BATF. I also sent an email, stating the same things to the business site and on this past Monday got an email back, stating my rifle would be shipped by end of week. Now here I sit with fingers crossed , we'll wait and see what the UPS man brings this week.

Mr. Hunter, thank you much for the pointer. It worked well!

Mr. Salchow, I appreciate the offer to help, sir.

Dutchy, I was thinking cheap ammo and low recoil for the kids/Mrs. I have and Ishapore .308 that I love, and I wonder... did Mr. Lee contribute to the cartridge Perhaps he would smile at the new uses this will bring?

Cowart, thank you much, I have added your torpedo to the solution for the war shot.

Mr. O'Heir, thank you sir, I've also put this in the shot pouch.

Gentleman, I remain optimistic that I'll be boring you all with this post one last time!

thanks again,

Rich
Old September 24, 2007, 06:59 PM   #16
lfmayor

Rifle came in today

After all the BS, it's finally here. I honestly have to say that from running some dummy rounds through that the craftsmanship on it is top notch, I'm hoping it shoots as smooth as it loads, feeds and extracts. I think it was a brilliant idea and would love to see a conversion to .223 with AR mags made available but wouldn't ask this guy to do another for me since I had to threaten his livelihood in order to get the deal completed.

And that's all I have to say about that.

Thanks again for the advice guys.

Rich
Old September 26, 2007, 04:28 AM   #17
k Squared

and they all lived happily ever after.

lfamyor,

Thanks for sharing your story. I've had several similar situations and never know where to draw the line. You want to give the small business guy some slack, but when is enough, enough?

The suggestions for involving the law enforcement agencies were also very enlightening.
Old September 26, 2007, 09:19 AM   #18
LubeckTech

For future reference to those who get into a similar situation or are getting a really raw deal. Contacting the Attorney General's Office of the state where the offending vendor is an inexpensive way to get their attention. It frequently produces results without involving an attorney.