The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 25, 2006, 12:13 PM   #1
38splfan

Anyone reload 9mm Largo?

Hello from hot, sunny Baghdad!
I've a question that once again requires the unique collected knowledge that only TFL users can provide.
I've seen several interesting guns lately in 9mm Largo (believe it is also called 9mm Bergmann?). I'd like to pick up one or two to add to my collection.
I've found brass already at Graf's, and it seems there is some reloadable commercial ammo out for it. My questions are these:
Does it use a standard 9mm (.357) bullet?
Who makes dies for this caliber?
Can y'all give some good recipes for plinking and for defense?

If you have any other info about this caliber, please share it with me.
Thanks in advance for all the help I know you guys will be.
Old July 25, 2006, 01:54 PM   #2
Jim Watson

If I wanted to load 9mm Bergman-Bayard/Largo I think I'd just get a set of Lee 9mm Para dies. The case head and mouth diameters are the same, only difference is in length. Not quite as easy as loading .357 magnum in .38 special dies because of the 9mm taper, but I bet it would work.

Laser Cast has load data. You could use data for .38 ACP NOT SUPER and be in the operating range.

Starline makes brass.

Bullets are standard 9mm, .355" jacketed, .356+" cast.
Old July 25, 2006, 02:31 PM   #3
38splfan

Thanks.

Thanks Jim.
Starline was the brass I found the line on, from Graf's.
Thanks for the .38 ACP tip, I'll check it out.
BTW, bit of noob reloader question I'm afraid, but would adjusting the length using Parabellum dies be better accomplished by trimming down the brass or just seating the bullet farther? Seems trimming the brass would be the best bet, but I'll defer to you experts on that.
Old July 25, 2006, 03:10 PM   #4
hodaka

I've been loading for an Astra 400 for a number of years. I use Lee 9mm Luger dies. Works fine. The inside of the barrel on my Astra looks like the moon's surface but it shoots fine with regular .355 bullets, lead and jacketed.
Old July 25, 2006, 03:39 PM   #5
38splfan

Thanks again.

Thanks again.
How do your arrive at the correct OA cartridge length using standard 9mm dies? Oh wait, nevermind!

---Dunce Hat ON---

Thought you guys said 9mm para brass for some reason
It is 0030 here, after all

Thanks guys.