The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 18, 2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Jarhead JAG

Do you have to be classified before shooting in a match?

Headed to my first match tomorrow, on the chance invitation of someone at the gun shop. Reading over the IDPA rules, I don't see anything directly on point for this question:

Do you have to be classified (Marksman, Sharpshooter, Expert, Master) before you can shoot (even at novice)?

I do see something that indicates you've got to be classified at the division you compete in, but there's no novice division...

Thanks in advance for the info. Looking forward to this. Been a shooter for a long time, but never competition.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:06 PM   #2
Jim Watson

What level of match?
Typical monthly club shoot?
You will likely be entered as Unclassified.

Be safe and pay attention to instructions.
Have a good time.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:10 PM   #3
Jarhead JAG

Thanks Jim-I appreciate the info. It's a monthly club-level match. Having read the rules, I'll be listening closely because their SO commands are different than the commands issued to us on Marine Corps ranges. The upshot is that I intend to do the same tommorrow as I did when I came into the Corps (by which time I'd been shooting for several years already): listen to what they tell you to do, not what you think they're going to tell you to do.
Old February 18, 2011, 10:48 PM   #4
Jim Watson

If you get a chance before jumping off...
http://www.gadpa.com/index.php/ipda/...r-information/
http://www.gadpa.com/index.php/ipda/...oter-briefing/
Old February 20, 2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Jarhead JAG

OK, the update:

Had a great time. Watched some videos online before going, and read the rule book, etc. Also sprung on a Balckhawk kydex serpa holster and two Blackhawk kydex leaf spring mag retention units, as well as a couple extra Mec-Gar mags. All gear functioned exactly as it should. Nice chance to try out the new Uncle Mike's range bag the wife got me for Christmas, too.

Range instruction was great, rules are simple and accessible to newbies.

Four courses of fire (not a classification match, so I was registered as unclassified). First was from the seated position, five targets, including one activated by firing first on a steel target which activated a 1.5-second turning target, up from the table and to cover, slicing the pie on a 4-target room before moving to a 3-target lane and done.

Second course was from the trunk of a car, engaging seven different targets around different areas and through the passenger compartment.

Third was opposite sides of cover, then to a low opening to shoot from the prone.

Last was shooting from the driver's seat of a truck, then around the back of the truck to engage targets on the other side.

Didn't do too bad. All times in the mid to upper 20-second range; first two lanes only dropped a single -1; last two lanes dropped a few more points but no failures. The fastest time I saw out there was upper 18 seconds on the first lane, but he dropped a number of rounds in the -3, so not sure how the final times shook out. Will have to wait until they post the scores.

I will DEFINITELY be doing this again, and many times at that.

Thanks again for the information, Jim-it did help me get sorted out on what to expect my first day out there. Also found that type of hospitality and info was common among the shooters and instructors at the range, where I met some good folks and had a rgeat time.
Old February 20, 2011, 01:52 PM   #6
RickB

You do not have to be classified to shoot IDPA, unless you want to shoot sanctioned matches (state, regional, or other "major" matches), in which case you must have classified within the last year, in the division in which you are going to compete. You are "unclassified" until you shoot a classifier match; if you fail to make Marksman, you are a "Novice", which is still sort of unclassified, as Novices are generally not allowed at sanctioned matches (I'll make exceptions for shooters who have proven to be consistently safe at local matches).
Old February 24, 2011, 08:46 AM   #7
Don P

You can shoot in IDPA, USPSA as unclassified until the cows come home without issue. Some clubs will let you shoot without being a card carrying member of the discipline
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 24, 2011, 12:33 PM   #8
RickB

No club affiliated with IDPA should be allowing anyone to shoot without membership. Just as I wouldn't cheat when I shoot the sport, I wouldn't support a club that's cheating the organization. IDPA membership is mandatory after shooting your first match.
Old February 26, 2011, 09:22 PM   #9
Canned Heat

@ Jarhead

You forgot to mention it was really really windy with gusts to forty making the targets dance like Ginger Rogers.