The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 14, 2012, 12:19 PM   #1
Strauss

Savage 11/111 or Ruger American?

I'm currently shopping for a new hunting rig chambered in .243. I've been looking at the Savage 11/111 package with scope along with the Ruger American. I'll be using this rifle for yotes mainly so I wanted a relatively light rifle for carrying between stands. I personally own a few Savages and they all shoot fantastic so I'm not too worried about that one. I've never owned a Ruger so I'm mostly inquiring about that specific rifle in how it will compare to the Savage. Thanks in advance for any and all input!
Old December 14, 2012, 12:26 PM   #2
h2otoo

There is a few write ups here about the American. It seems to be more in the class of the Savage Axis, the 11/111 is a good step up from both, IMHO.

Bob
Old December 14, 2012, 02:45 PM   #3
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2otoo
There is a few write ups here about the American. It seems to be more in the class of the Savage Axis, the 11/111 is a good step up from both, IMHO.

Bob
Agreed. The difference in price gives you the ability to ugrade stocks, barrels, triggers, ect. And the 11/111 trophy hunter package comes with a decent Nikon scope. The American may be a great, smooth actioned, superbly accurate budget rifle, but it will never be more than it is when you buy it. For a small amount more, you have a platform to uprgrade into a premium quality rifle if you choose.
Old December 14, 2012, 02:57 PM   #4
scsov509

Quote:
Agreed. The difference in price gives you the ability to ugrade stocks, barrels, triggers, ect. And the 11/111 trophy hunter package comes with a decent Nikon scope. The American may be a great, smooth actioned, superbly accurate budget rifle, but it will never be more than it is when you buy it. For a small amount more, you have a platform to uprgrade into a premium quality rifle if you choose.
+1. The Savage actions offer a lot more versatility down the road at little difference in cost up front. I'd definitely prefer the Savage unless you've got a hankering for something different.
Old December 14, 2012, 03:34 PM   #5
bedlamite

The Savage is the better rifle, but the scope that comes with the package is junk.
Old December 14, 2012, 06:06 PM   #6
Strauss

Thanks for the help everyone. After handling all the different models today it looks like I'm leaning towards a Tikka T3 instead. It's more money than the others but with good reason. A very nice rifle, just gonna wait a bit longer to get the extra funds together but I believe it will be worth it.
Old December 14, 2012, 07:07 PM   #7
scsov509

The T3 is a great rifle, I really like the way they handle and point. You'll enjoy it as well.
Old December 15, 2012, 02:00 AM   #8
FiveInADime

Great choice. The T3 is a sweet gun. I wish the T3 Hunter was more available here, since I prefer wood. At least the Tikka synthetic stocks are really rigid and stable.
Old December 16, 2012, 03:26 PM   #9
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
+ 1.

The Savage is a better choice than the Ruger in this case.
Old December 18, 2012, 09:20 AM   #10
jmr40

And the Tikka a better choice than either. You'll be glad you waited
Old December 20, 2012, 09:52 AM   #11
hooligan1

I'm not sure I agree with the Tikka being better, whats better, It definetly isn't as accurate as the Savage, and unless you could get a Tikka Lite in .243 win, it's heavier to pack through the woods.
To the OP, also look at the Stevens 200, it's simple design and weight make it a decent choice also.

I admit I was bitten by the Ruger American bug but after handling one several times, I'd rather have the Tikka, between those two, and the Savage would be my first pick.
Old December 21, 2012, 09:01 PM   #12
FiveInADime

How could you say that the Tikka is less accurate than the Savage? Do you honestly believe every production Savage is more accurate than anything else out there? I have seen many Tikka rifles with excellent accuracy. They are MOA guaranteed. I have witnessed plenty of accurate Savage rifles, as well. I have also witnessed cheap Savage package rifles that would not hold MOA even with tailored handloads. They aren't all as accurate as the Internet claims. If I were buying a hunting rifle to leave alone, I would choose a Tikka over anything from Savage. Then again, I would choose a Winchester over anything Tikka.
Old December 21, 2012, 11:00 PM   #13
Metal god

I own the American and it is very accurate , lite , trigger is very good and the stock SUCKS . That being said it's better then the Axis hands down .The normal Savage 11/111 does not come with the accu-trigger so I'm not sure it's better then the Ruger . The Ruger is not better then the tikka . The new Savage 11 trophy hunter combo looks real nice and comes with accu-trigger and a nikon pro staff scope for under $500 .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; December 21, 2012 at 11:09 PM.
Old December 22, 2012, 06:08 AM   #14
bedlamite

Metal god, you might want to double check your info. That was true years ago, but when Savage was bought out in 2005, they changed policy and all new 10/110 series Savage rifles come with the Accutrigger. The only one that doesn't is the Stevens 200.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:55 AM   #15
hooligan1

Yes I believe that Savage rifles are the most accurate production rifles for the money that you can buy.
Shooting Times in September, did a big article called 18 gun shoot out, however the Tikka was'nt in it, but the Savage beat the rest in the accuracy department.
They took three guns of the same caliber and make from 6 different makers, and tested them in every department. The Model 70 winchester took first place in overall quality, but in the accuracy department,(and that's what wer'e talking) the Savage was best.
I'm never going to be the guy that takes all the information from the internet, I'm a reader and I love the rifle rags to death, I do believe what these writers print because they been there done that, and it's what they get paid to do, me I'm a plumber, I get paid to plumb.
Most everything I've learend in the past 40 years of guns and hunting comes from experience and reading. So when I reply on something, my information comes from what I have read from the guys who know more than us.

So my answer is YES I believe they are. On the other hand I really like Tikka rifles, so I have nothing to badmouth them about, I just think the Savage is more accurate.

Last edited by hooligan1; December 22, 2012 at 10:08 AM.
Old December 22, 2012, 12:16 PM   #16
Metal god

bedlamite- You say 10/110 but the OP is asking about the 11/111

I checked last night , but just rechecked now on savages website . there are 2 model 11s that come in 243 that are not the trophy hunter that come with the accu-trigger

Model: 11/111 FHNS $695 no scope

Model: 11/111 FCNS $715 no scope

The 11/111 that comes with a scope does not come with the accu-trigger
It's called the hunter not the trophy hunter and comes with a Bushnell scope not the nikon .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 22, 2012, 05:57 PM   #17
Orion6

A Savage 11/111 would likely be a higher overall quality rifle than the American. Savage has come a long way in their quality and finish.

That said, I've seen ALL positive reviews on the Ruger American. I'll likely get one at some point. That price is hard to beat.
Old December 22, 2012, 07:07 PM   #18
FALPhil

Quote:
I checked last night , but just rechecked now on savages website . there are 2 model 11s that come in 243 that are not the trophy hunter that come with the accu-trigger
If it comes with a three-screw trigger, that is actually a better trigger than the Accu-trigger. It takes some tweaking, but you can get a safe, crisp 2.5 lb trigger out of the 3-screw trigger.
Old December 22, 2012, 08:27 PM   #19
bedlamite

110, 111, 112, 114, 116, etc. they are all based on the 110 action and the difference is in the finish and features.
Old December 22, 2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Metal god

Quote:
in 2005, they changed policy and all new 10/110 series Savage rifles come with the Accutrigger.
The OP said he is looking at the 11/111 combo in 243 . There is only one model 11/111 combo on there website in 243 and it does not come with an accu-trigger .

Im not sure who's splitting hairs here . I've now looked 5 times and it's still the same as the first time I looked .

Quote:
110, 111, 112, 114, 116, etc. they are all based on the 110 action and the difference is in the finish and features.
This may be true and one of the different features must be some have the accu-trigger and some do not .