The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 28, 2012, 07:23 PM   #1
redrick

New Savage 220

My local gun store moved into their new building 2 weeks ago and had a week long grand opening sale. They moved into the old Gander Mountain building. Gander Mountain could not compete with them and Bass Pro, all within 2 miles of each other. There were never hardly any people in Grander Mountain.

I went up there to checkout their new store, much bigger than the 75 year old house they were in. The store was jammed packed with people and the parking lot full.

They had a Savage 220 on sale for $430, so I picked it up, along with a DMZ scope mount ( med. off set for short scope ) and some AccuTip and SST slugs.

I really like the balance of the 220, feels real good. The bolt is a little stiff right now but should smooth out with use.

I don't like the height of the scope with the DMZ mount. I am using a Leupold VX2 2-7x33 scope. Because of its short lenght it makes eye relief a problem. I ordered 3 other options from Midway today to try and see what I like the best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage 220 002.JPG (112.1 KB, 50 views)
File Type: jpg Savage 220 003.JPG (143.1 KB, 53 views)
Old November 11, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
redrick

I tried 6 different mount and ring combinations to get the best eye relief and height for mounting a 2-7x33 scope. It's shorter lenght makes finding the right combination of mounting space, eye relief and low to the barrel height a challenge for this shotgun. If I would have went with a 3-9x40 it would have been easier because it has a longer mounting area. But I already had a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 laying around and really didn't need the extra magnification of a 3-9 scope.

Here's what I tried:

Burris 2 Piece Tactical Base ( Lowest )
Burris Low Zee Rings ( Lowest )
Warne Maxima Low Rings
Weaver 1 Piece Multi Slot Base ( This gives you the most adjustment for mounting and eye relief. It raises the scope a little higher than the Burris Tactical Base).
EGW 1 Piece Base
Talley Low 2 Piece Mount ( It will not work at all on a Savage 110 using a short scope).
DNZ Game Reaper 18200OS Medium Mount ( IMO the nicest mount and would use it if mounting a scope with a 40 mm obj. ).

I went with the Burris 2 Piece Base and Burris Low Zee Rings. The scope is .268 off the barrel and no more adjustment rearward for eye relief if needed ( the eye relief fits me ).

I lapped the rings last night and bore sighted it this morning, now to sight it in. Shotgun season comes in Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage 220 Scope mount 003.JPG (138.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Savage 220 Scope mount 004.JPG (142.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by redrick; November 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM.