The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 30, 2001, 09:51 PM   #1
MiniZ

1100 Synthetic Buttstock Removal???

I am going to swap out my synthetic stock for a recently aquired wood stock with a Monte Carlo comb.

Does anyone have some suggestions how I can get the stock off without: a)buying Remington's stock tool, or b)sending it to a gunsmith.

The nut is TIGHT!! I'll take it to a 'Smith if necessary, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Thanks

Zane
Old August 30, 2001, 11:39 PM   #2
UK2TX

Hello MiniZ,

I would recommend using Kroil, if you can get it locally or PB/Blaster from an autoparts store if you cannot, to free the nut.

I'm assuming that your problem is not related to the screwdriver blade being stuck between the nut and the stock itself as this would make the nut feel welded on!

Regards,

UK2TX
Old August 30, 2001, 11:57 PM   #3
Gary H

Use a large screwdriver that doesn't have much play when fitted. Put a large wrench to the screwdriver. While pressing down turn the wrench. Removed a couple of 1100 synthetic stocks that way.
Old August 31, 2001, 07:19 AM   #4
Clemson

I highly recommend the Brownells tool for removing the action tube nut on the 1100. I learned the hard way when I broke one of these nuts in half with a screwdriver. The action tube nut is sintered metal. It needs the support of the special wrench. You may only break one in ten, but that one will cost you a lot of heartache. The 870 is a different animal. A regular screwdriver works OK for them.
Gunsmith www.boltandbarrel.com