The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 7, 2008, 11:32 PM   #1
landsman

Unsafe used Hi Power Question.

I just bought a used Browning Hi Power which had a trigger job done and mag safety removed at some point. My question: When I rack the slide and use the slide stop to release it, the web of my hand puts a little pressure on the back of the hammer and once the slide is released the hammer follows the slide. I think that's unsafe even though the half cock notch still engages the hammer. I also had 5 failures to fire with light firing pin strikes on the primers out of 150 rounds fired. I'm thinking about taking the gun back to the store to exchange it for something else. What do you guys think?
Old January 8, 2008, 12:07 AM   #2
Dfariswheel

The gun is unsafe and should NOT be fired until it's repaired.

In addition to possibly firing or even firing a full-auto burst, the hammer slamming down on the sear will damage the hammer and sear.

See a good gunsmith or take it back.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:45 AM   #3
landsman

Thanks for the input. I just read on the receipt that all firearms sales are final. I'll try to reason with them but I don't hold much hope. I'm sure they are willing to fix it but the owner is not such a great gunsmith. And the store is 50 miles away. I think I'm pretty much screwed. I'm going to have to take it to my gunsmith who overcharges but does good work.
Old January 8, 2008, 04:51 PM   #4
Cowart

You could fix this yourself, and have an excellent trigger pull as well, by installing a pre-fitted hammer and sear kit - see https://shop.cylinder-slide.com/ccp5...tstr=HOME:6:20
Old January 8, 2008, 09:41 PM   #5
DnPRK

Brownells sells parts needed to restore your Hi-power to operational status. Its not hard to replace the hammer, sear, springs and magazine safety.
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/ns/Sch...px?schemid=402
Old January 8, 2008, 10:19 PM   #6
landsman

Thanks for the help guys. I went back to the store today and they exchanged the broken Hi Power for a new Beretta M9 which I also wanted. I've never owned a Beretta so here is question about the Beretta: When the slide is locked in the open position with the safety on, and then I manually ride the slide forward without too much force and without using the slide release, it gets stuck a little about 1/2 an inch out of battery until I push it forward, at which point it goes into battery with the hammer following the slide. Is that normal for a Beretta because the safety was on when the slide was pulled back? Now, when the slide is released forcefully, this does not happen. Here are some pics of it looks like:

Last edited by landsman; January 8, 2008 at 10:21 PM. Reason: added info
Old January 8, 2008, 10:59 PM   #7
DnPRK

Locking block under the barrel hasn't snapped into position. Chalk it up to a new gun not yet broken in. Once you put a couple hundred rounds through it, that issue will disappear.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:09 PM   #8
landsman

Thanks. I forget to mention that this does not happen with the safety off.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:09 PM   #9
Dfariswheel

Either the locking block, or the hammer dropping safety system, or probably both.

In that last bit before fully closing, the locking block has to elevate, and the hammer drop safety has to have enough inertia to push the hammer drop.
To find out which, put the safety OFF and lower the slide.
If it closes, it was the hammer drop assembly.

In any case, the gun is not designed to have the slide eased forward.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:11 PM   #10
EEL92fs

This is normal for the 92fs because the way it decocks.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:14 PM   #11
landsman

Thanks guys you put me at ease. After all the problems I had with the Hi Power, this would have been too much.
Old January 9, 2008, 12:02 AM   #12
landsman

Another question: How do I switch to a lighter hammer spring to lighten the double action trigger pull? And where do I get a lighter spring?
Old January 9, 2008, 08:05 AM   #13
RoscoeC

Quote:
I manually ride the slide forward without too much force
That is a misoperation.

Quote:
Now, when the slide is released forcefully, this does not happen.
That is the way it is supposed to operate.
NRA Life Member
Old January 9, 2008, 06:46 PM   #14
landsman

Thanks again guys. Another quick question about the Beretta:
Is it normal for the ejector on new Beretta M9 to be just a little loose?
Old January 13, 2008, 04:13 PM   #15
Harry Bonar

trigger

Sir:
I would not start changing springs! The factory made it safe. Learn how to properly and correctly pull the trigger and follow through!
Harry B.
Old January 13, 2008, 09:45 PM   #16
Cochise3Texas

92 stuff

Hey, guy. The DA trigger pull will be stout in a new one. Run a couple hundred rounds through it and keep it clean and lubricated. It will wear in and will start to smooth up a lot. Don't get in hurry.
SOmetimes
Old January 13, 2008, 09:46 PM   #17
Cochise3Texas

92 stuff

Hey, guy. The DA trigger pull will be stout in a new one. Run a couple hundred rounds through it and keep it clean and lubricated. It will wear in and will start to smooth up a lot. Don't get in hurry.
Sometimes the little instruction book that comes with new handguns is helpful and may tell you what sort of run in you need to look forward to.
Old January 14, 2008, 02:55 AM   #18
landsman

I installed a 13 pound competition hammer spring from Wolff and it works great. The improvement of the double action pull is very noticeable, and the installation took 5 minutes. I already fired about 350 round with no problems. The only other thing that bothered me is the loose ejector but as far as I understand that's normal.
Old January 15, 2008, 10:22 AM   #19
10-96

Yes, the loose ejector pin is quite normal, all of our dept issue firearms are like that.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.