The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 2, 2007, 04:12 PM   #1
travelerBT

extreme shock?! penetrate a leather jacket?

I got some of this stuff for christmas... freeking expensive, but the energy discharge is pretty impressive...

I have heard that this stuff has a hard time with leather jackets, anyone else heard anything...

their are two types of ammo... the Fang Face looks like it would do better then the Air Freedom ...

Here is the link to their site

http://www.extremeshockusa.com/cgist...tup=1&cart_id=

good shooting...

Build your custom 1911 ONLINE! http://www.milehigharmory.com
Old January 2, 2007, 04:50 PM   #2
solz56

hrmm...

I dunno. I'd like to stick to stuff by a major manufacturer that has a long track-record and is affordable enough for me to shoot a bunch to insure it works in my guns.

The rounds look cool, though.
Colt 1911 Gov't .45
Old January 2, 2007, 05:13 PM   #3
Prophet

Wow!!! that stuff is expencive but I need to get me some for my AR looks like some good SD ammo.
Old January 2, 2007, 05:15 PM   #4
Axion

look on theboxotruth.com there is a review of that stuff. In short the penetration in water was less then what most would consider acceptable.
*edited to add link*

Last edited by Axion; January 2, 2007 at 06:19 PM.
Old January 2, 2007, 05:36 PM   #5
kozak6

On the page you linked to, they specifically point out that the "Air Freedom" round only penetrates 7" in ballistics gelatin.
Old January 2, 2007, 06:06 PM   #6
G-Cym

The mall-ninja-ness of eXtremeShock is enough to make me stay away.
Old January 2, 2007, 06:16 PM   #7
dixierifleman

not that i would spend my money on them, these were meant to stop overpenetration. ideal for home defence and airplanes. but look at this "wound channel"
Old January 2, 2007, 08:39 PM   #8
BobK

Don't waste your money on that stuff. Take a look at the Box O Truth.
Old January 2, 2007, 08:41 PM   #9
travelerBT

Lighter rounds...

I have heard the Air freedom round are nice because they don't weigh nearly as much making your CCW much lighter... just what I heard...

Build your custom 1911 ONLINE! http://www.milehigharmory.com
Old January 2, 2007, 08:50 PM   #10
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

There was another thread on these last March, although the bullets used were Extreme Shock Fang Face. A friend of mine tried them on a boar hunt, and took pictures of the entry wound and wound channel.

You can find them here

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old January 2, 2007, 10:47 PM   #11
G-Cym

It really doesn't matter if they are just as effective as other expanding rounds. Even if they are(and they're not) it doesn't justify the price. The price alone makes them a worthless product. Let's pretend they are just as good as the best defense round from Federal, CCI, Hornady, or Remington. You can still buy any of those rounds for a fraction of the cost. And as I believe they stated in the BOT article, who is gonna spend the money to buy enough of these rounds to see if they work well for you and your pistol. Even if you bought a box, it's not enough to give it a good test. That money would be much better spent on multiple boxes of WWB. That way you can work on what matters: placement.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:01 PM   #12
Syntax360

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Cym
The price alone makes them a worthless product.
+1

For what it's worth, eXtreme shok is generally regarded as a joke on virtually every gun board on the net. Their products lack adequate penetration to be considered a worth while defense load. But hey - what do you expect from a company that makes a load titled "fang face" and has pictures of ninjas on their home page?

I'd shoot them at some water jugs and enjoy the show - they are designed to make money for gunshops, not to take a BG out of the fight.
Old January 2, 2007, 11:04 PM   #13
dixierifleman

i would think that kind of a wound would take the BG out of the fight. but hen again so would a regular HP or ball round
Old January 2, 2007, 11:41 PM   #14
stevelyn

Penetrate a leather jacket? Can't say for sure. I'm guessen' most bullets will. They are, afterall..............bullets.

It seems the Extreme Shock is designed more to penetrate your wallet and common sense.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old January 3, 2007, 10:29 AM   #15
Vitamin G

They might perform neat. But really, did anyone NOT think it was a phoney product at first, based on the mall-ninja joke?

I think for Halloween this year, im going to get the HoMeBoY! side-sights on my glock and carry eXtreme shock!
Old January 3, 2007, 11:34 AM   #16
boroif0506

!!!!!

Just shoot them in the head!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old January 3, 2007, 01:05 PM   #17
Mikeyboy

Looking at the box of truth the Air Freedom rounds seem to preform better than glasers in terms of not overpenetrating in sheetrock vs penetrating in gel and water. The fang face seems to be complete garbage. Problem is with that bold, ultra tactical name and packaging will be your downfall when that lawyer hold up a box to show a jury in a excessive force civil case. Too expensive and too corny.
Old January 3, 2007, 01:53 PM   #18
Jart

Quote:
The ExtremeShock Explosive Entry round is the world's first "smart" small arms munition. It fragments in logamarithmic proportion
It might work well on the occasional hog, but I can't see myself carrying ammo that's smarter than I am. Besides, I'm allergic to hyperbole.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:53 PM   #19
westphoenix

I think the Box O Truth should test self-defense ammo in ballistic gelatin instead of water. I think the test is unfair to any ammunition designed for self-defense.

With that said I would never buy that ammo.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:55 PM   #20
10 MickeyMouse

Quote:
i would think that kind of a wound would take the BG out of the fight.
Regarding the above posted photograph of ballistic clay, I have made larger craters in clay than that using 90 grain gold dots loaded to 1640 FPS from a 4.7" 9x19mm Baby Eagle, but I wouldn't trust them to stop a fight. They fragment and lack penetration.

Extreme shock is quite possibly the biggest joke in small arms ammunition to come down the pipe. Like the BG is going to care that the bullets coming down range look like saw blades bent into the shape of peanut butter cups.
Old January 3, 2007, 02:58 PM   #21
dixierifleman

well if it doesnt take them out of the fight, it WILL take the fight out of them. if your accuracy holds true.
Old January 4, 2007, 12:24 AM   #22
jlh26oo

The SHOCK is in fact so X-tReME! that if you are struck ANYWHERE, head, com, big toe even, your body will instantly go into shock. And no, a leather jacket will not protect from shock.
Old January 4, 2007, 12:28 AM   #23
G-Cym

Quote:
well if it doesnt take them out of the fight, it WILL take the fight out of them. if your accuracy holds true.

No one is saying that it's like a .17 pellet gun round. I'm sure it will f--- someone up just like any other 9mm, .40sw, or 45ACP round will. But are you really going to spend money on it?
Old January 4, 2007, 12:43 AM   #24
dixierifleman

no i personally would not buy it cause im cheap. but i wouldnt go as far as to say it wont take a BG out of the fight