The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 7, 2013, 10:40 AM   #1
JimDandy

Any historians out there?

I've got an idea floating around in my head... Anyone seen the movie or read the book A Time To Kill? Ah hell, Spoiler alert for anyone who hasn't seen it... protagonist giving his closing argument describes one crime as justifying motivation for the crime currently being tried... then flips it on its ear by changing the race involved. I'm working on an idea to do much the same... and I'm looking for a famous speech - preferably from Congress regarding the justification of slavery... something with the general (and incorrect, I'm not espousing, just looking to borrow from it) gist being the slaves aren't mentally competent to be free men, and they benefit from slavery. I'm sure there's something like that out there either in a philosopher's book, or a congressional speech or something along those lines...

I'd like to take that monologue, replace slavery references with gun owner references, let it dangle out there until someone takes the bait, then tell them about the switch.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:05 AM   #2
SPEMack618

I can go dig through all my books from the History of the Antebellum South. I can certainly find something to that effect from the GA legislature.

Be this weekend before I can do it though.
Old February 7, 2013, 11:44 AM   #3
JimDandy

That'll work.
Old February 7, 2013, 06:34 PM   #4
Uncle Buck

Check out some of the arguments for and against the 13th Amendment. I am sure it has some very interesting opinions on both sides of the aisle.

Google "Opposition to the 13th Amendment" and it brings up some interesting articles. I did not go all the way through them to see if there were any of the actual speeches involved, but you could get a list of key players and go from there.