The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 20, 2019, 07:20 AM   #1
rebs

CCI BR 4 primers ?

I opened anew brick and reloaded about 50 rounds and got 6 misfires. Good primer pin strikes but they did not fire. Has anyone else had this happen ?
Old June 20, 2019, 08:03 AM   #2
603Country

That’s the primer I use, and I haven’t had any primer failures. Been using them for a decade or more.
Old June 20, 2019, 08:04 AM   #3
griz

The vast majority of the misfires I've had were because of primers not fully seated. The rest were guns with light strikes. That ammo would fire in other guns and that gun would fire other primers. The number of my reloads with true misfires is so small that it's probably less than factory ammo misfires.
Old June 20, 2019, 09:24 AM   #4
cw308

I have been using CCI BR2 's and never had a problem , that doesn't mean it can't happen . Your having a good firing pin strike then the primer should have fired . I uniform all my 308 cases once and use a RCBS RAM primer it's set to bottom , I would give CCI a call . Did you try shooting the bad primer again and see if it would fire . After taking the time in sizing the case , charging the case and seating the bullet to have a bad primer . Just think if it happened in competition . I'm sure you have been seating primers for awhile , I would try another 100 box in the lot . Only good thing about a bad primer is it shows you if your yanking the trigger and testing your foorm .
Old June 20, 2019, 10:39 AM   #5
hounddawg

Quote:
I would give CCI a call
good advice, over 10% failure rate is unacceptable
Old June 20, 2019, 11:01 AM   #6
mikld

I've been reloading a long time (boy, are my arms tired ) and occasionally, I'll check/"refresh" my methods. Not that my methods are wrong, I just double check what I'm doing. I would try again, and when seating primers, slow down and make sure no bad habit has wormed it's way into my process...
Old June 20, 2019, 11:11 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

Did you run your fingertip over all the primed cases to be sure the primers were below flush with the back of the case head? Sometimes when you switch primers the new brand or model needs more force to seat than your previous one did and that can cause you to fail to get them seated fully because you are using the old seating feel.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 20, 2019, 12:17 PM   #8
rebs

Primers are all seated the same and correctly I tried to fire them a second and third time but they still wouldn't fire. Also the primer strike was not light by any means, good solid strike as always.
Old June 20, 2019, 03:52 PM   #9
cw308

rebs
Go no further , it's the primers . It was your turn in the barrel pal . Had to happen with your new toy makes it even worse . I am surprised , CCI and Federal make great Benchrest primers . Even though I'm not shooting a semi I still like the CCI BR primers better. It's hard to be 100% all he time . I would like to know what CCI response is .
Old June 20, 2019, 06:38 PM   #10
snakeye

I agree with griz....my experience with an issue like that is not seating primers enough...a good clue if the round fires on the next strike, the first strike usually seats the primer and then it fires on the next strike
Old June 21, 2019, 05:50 AM   #11
rebs

I will give CCI a call and see what they have to say.
Old June 21, 2019, 09:13 AM   #12
griz

Please let us know what they say. I agree with the Dawg, with properly seated primers a 10 percent failure rate is unacceptable.
Old June 21, 2019, 09:21 AM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

Yes. No firing of any of them on the second try is a clear primer problem. Normally, if seating were the issue the first failed firing pin strike would have completed seating so the second strike had the anvil solidly behind the primer mix. One not firing on the second try might mean the primer mix was cracked and moved away from the anvil, but none out of ten is very long odds, indeed.

I've heard primers can be killed by exposure to very high temperature for a prolonged period. One of my LEO Gunsite instructors said that spending an Arizona summer in the trunk of a dark car could kill primers. So it is also possible someone stored the box you bought badly.

I expect CCI will want to look at the primers. Or they may already be aware of a problem with your lot number. Let us know what they come up with.
Old June 24, 2019, 04:04 PM   #14
flashhole

Nothing to add, I just want to follow this thread. Please pass the popcorn.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old June 24, 2019, 08:38 PM   #15
rebs

do you want the popcorn buttered
Old June 25, 2019, 10:56 AM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Hey Rebs, homemade sizing lubes are OT.
Old June 25, 2019, 04:15 PM   #17
flashhole

Describe the buttering technique and ingredients please.

Are you ready for civil war?