The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 9, 2019, 11:39 AM   #1
ninosdemente

New vs Old Purchased Powders

The gun show I go to as any others, there are vendors that sell powders. I have bought a couple of them in the past. No more than 4 - 1lb powders in 2018. I have mostly bought either at Cabela's or online. The biggest purchase for me was done online. Out of curiosity I looked at the date label and noticed if reading it properly the newer ones had 2018 (online bought in March of 2019) while the ones bought at gun show were from 2016 (bought in late 2018).

Is there really a big/noticeable difference? I know two years is probably nothing compared to others that do have older powders.

As still a beginner, I have not notice anything at all. Then again, I have an "untrained eye/lack on experience" on this matter. The only reason why I try to buy from the show is no tax/haz mat/shipping fees. They are not really that cheaper, perhaps $2-$3 less and sometimes at same price as in store or online.

Read online different possible drawbacks to using "old" powder. So far, nothing applying to me.

For those who reload, do you prefer at store/online vs gun shows? Why? If you don't mind sharing. Thanks in advanced.
Old June 9, 2019, 11:41 AM   #2
Jim Watson

Two years is peanuts.
I used to buy powder at gun shows when they were GUN shows.
Old June 9, 2019, 12:21 PM   #3
ninosdemente

Why do you no longer buy at gun shows? Don't know what you mean by when they were gun shows as I am only about two years into the game. Around my area, the shows are the same vendors. It's like walking into a Walmart, you know what isle to go to.
Old June 9, 2019, 12:52 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Component vendors are a lot less common at shows around here.
Ratio of guns to junk is down, too.
Old June 9, 2019, 02:18 PM   #5
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I don't think they even have gun shows in my state any more. I haven't heard of one for at least five years (or more). When we did still have them, I referred to them as "Beef jerky, Nazi memorabilia, and a few guns on the side shows" and I was only slightly in jest.
Old June 9, 2019, 04:42 PM   #6
RC20

As Jim Watson said, its not a factor.

I have gotten some nice discounts at gun shows. I would only hesitate if it was 10 years old or the container had indications of mis-stored.
Old June 9, 2019, 07:40 PM   #7
Reloadron

As of last year I was using powder and primers I bought during the early 90s. It was and is stored correctly and works as well as stuff made during the past year.

Ron
Old June 9, 2019, 08:32 PM   #8
Marco Califo

Powders do have a shelf life

I have a handful of powders gifted to me in the early 1990's that were 10+ years old then. I keep them because several of them are no longer made. Opening and taking a sniff will tell you when they are bad. Or discoloration. The U.S. military rotates ammo stores, and after loaded ammo is around 25 years shelf-old, they pull it apart and the powder is sold as surplus; it is called pulldown powder and is NOT labeled as new. I have had an 8lb jug of WC844 (H335) for 10 years. Plus 25 it sat in loaded ammo. It is still good to use, but always check when you open old powders.

One of my FAVORITE powders for the first 10 years of loading 308 and 223 was Data 223C, which was a bulk form powder from Accurate, that loaded the same as A2460. It is an excellent metering versatile powder. The first 8lb-er I used up. New 8 lb A2460 is on my list.

This place sells GI brass and a lot of powders in stock today. WC844 is $99 for 8lbs. but your order will be charged for HazMat shipping per order like all sellers must. They also have new pistol powders and other stuff.
http://www.gibrass.com/

Last edited by Marco Califo; June 9, 2019 at 11:14 PM. Reason: http://www.gibrass.com/
Old June 9, 2019, 10:56 PM   #9
Lucas McCain

When it comes to old powder, as long as the powder has the acetone smell it is still good powder.

If you open the container and a rust colored dust is seen it’s bad powder.

I started reloading in the early 60’’s . We bought surplus IMR 4831 in 8 lb kegs from WW II era, never had a problem. As a matter of fact it was just before the panic that I used iall I had up.
Stored properly powder lasts a long time.
Old June 9, 2019, 11:04 PM   #10
ninosdemente

Thanks guys for the help. Good to know still good after a long time.

Some items haven't seen to be much cheaper than in stores or other items as well.
Old June 10, 2019, 08:23 AM   #11
USSR

Bought an unopened 15# cannister of Red Dot last year that was made sometime in the 60's or 70's. This caused me to get back into trap shooting, since 3.0 to 4.0 grain handgun loads would require about 3 lifetimes for me to use it all. And, BTW, the powder is fine.

Don
Old June 11, 2019, 04:19 PM   #12
gwpercle

I'm using powders I bought in the early 1970's , stored properly powder has at least a 50 year shelf life and maybe more... Stored properly are the key words .
No rusty colored dust inside the container , no acrid unpleasant smell ....It's good , you can use it.
Gary