The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 10, 2014, 09:46 PM   #1
shrewd

A new (probably old) question regarding cleaning a soaked AR

So so you're out hunting, slaying the Huns, or at a carbine course for the weekend and the weather gets nasty. Total down pour, everything is drenched, nothing is spared.

So now the day is over, you're in your hotel or whatnot, having a beer with a buddy, and you need to clean your ar and your ak, glock or cz or whatever.

What does the soaking change, if anything, in your cleaning?

I know ars have all those little detents and such that water can seep into, and I've found some slight rust on the pins in my g19 in the past.

What say you, keepers of wisdom?
Old July 10, 2014, 09:56 PM   #2
Jay24bal

If out hunting or at a weekend class, I would just clean it like normal, and then spray some oil into every little nook and cranny you can get into. Then when I returned home, I would completely strip the gun and clean EVERYTHING.

Once Fired Brass, Top quality, Fast shipping, Best prices.
http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " Jay24bal "
Old July 11, 2014, 08:33 PM   #3
Mobuck

I've heard that some "boot campers" took their M-16's in the shower to get the mud and crud washed off.
If available, I'd blow as much moisture off with the air hose and wipe dry. Another option would be wipe down and set the rifle in front of the AC or heat duct to let air do the work. Make sure you get all the moisture out of the gas tube and inside the stock. Clean/lube as normal and wipe with oily rag.
Old July 11, 2014, 09:53 PM   #4
SVTCobra306

If you're in a hotel room and no access to an air compressor, go hit office depot and get a couple cans of compressed air. Avoid spraying down the barrel though, it can have a sand blasting effect.

All reality, I've had more than one AR (including my Army issued M-16's and M-4's) get nicely soaked in the rain without any big issues as long as they got a normal cleaning afterward.
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Old July 11, 2014, 10:05 PM   #5
marine6680

1) Compressed or canned air in all the nooks and crannies... to force out as much moisture as possible.

2) Wipe it out and clean it.

3) Then spray aerosol canned oil in every nook and cranny to displace water.

4) I lean the firearm on something and have it on a towel to let the excess oil drain out overnight.

5) More compressed or canned air to force out the remainder of the excess oil trapped in the hard to reach areas.

6) Wipe down the firearm well, as it will be pretty soaked still.

7) Apply any lube you feel is needed beyond what was left over from the above step. (I like grease for slide rails for example)

8) Assemble, and go about my life.

If I don't have compressed air of some type... I skip those steps, but I like to go through the process again when I do get to some air later.

I might go a little overboard
Old July 12, 2014, 01:32 AM   #6
FrankenMauser

Field strip. (Including disassembling magazine.)
Shake off/out excess water.
Wipe/pat dry, if necessary.
Leave out to dry overnight.
Lube and reassemble in morning.

Give it a proper cleaning when the hunt is over, if you care.
Old July 12, 2014, 01:43 AM   #7
Rob228

I've done quite a few boat raids and swimming inserts into patrols with an M-4, as soon as we hit the beach and post security the weapons get drenched in CLP, when we extract they get a long freshwater rinse then a regular cleaning.
Old July 12, 2014, 06:28 AM   #8
Sport45

Sounds lie about the only time I'd recommend using WD-40.

I'd stop by Wal-Mart (they're everywhere) and get a can or three on the way back to the room.

Also get one of those big aluminum roasting pans to collect the run-off in while your spraying it down, and a roll of shop towels.

Don't forget the bag of powdered sugar donuts for the morning...
Old July 12, 2014, 09:09 AM   #9
kraigwy

Just knock the big chunks off, oil the bolt and work it back and forth several times and drive on. By the time you fire a clip or two the water in the places that count will be gone.

Contrary to internet myth, M16's (AR's) work in some pretty nasty environments. Just wipe the mud off the sights so you can see them and drive on.

If it really bothers you get a spray can of Rem Oil and wash the water out with it.

Embrace the Suck.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 12, 2014, 04:35 PM   #10
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Sounds li[k]e about the only time I'd recommend using WD-40.

I'd stop by Wal-Mart (they're everywhere) and get a can or three on the way back to the room.

Also get one of those big aluminum roasting pans to collect the run-off in while your spraying it down, and a roll of shop towels.

Don't forget the bag of powdered sugar donuts for the morning...

Oh, no. Don't do that for a hunting trip. You, and the rifle, will absolutely reek of WD-40 for the next week.

I'm not one to get too hung up on odors, when hunting. But, WD-40 has a very pervasive and persistent scent.
Old July 12, 2014, 08:40 PM   #11
Boncrayon

A new (probably old) question regarding cleaning a soaked AR

It's as old as the hunt! Man in his element deals with weather, dust, grim, oil, mud and joy of the hunt. The weather part is no problem if the firearm and its parts are oiled and kept from the crud that accompanies the outing.

I agree that an air blast can dislodge water mixed with the oiled parts. But then, after every outing, a good sportsman will wipe down and clean all appropriate parts before storing. Keep your firearm clean, and in case of extreme elements, a full take down with a Ballistol or RemOil or the like treatment. Care for your firearm always for many years of enjoyment of the sport.
Old July 12, 2014, 09:30 PM   #12
4thPoint

I'm one of those that's done the 'hot water shower' with his M16 (an A1 at that time 'cause I'm ancient now). Never really got in the shower with it, but barracks where we were at pretty much had 'industrial strength' hot water. Hot enough to make instant coffee with.

After a rainy week in the field (myth was were the most rained on unit at Bragg) I'd wipe/spray everything down with CLP or Breakfree and then hold the parts under the hot water until they were hot enough to dry on their own without even a wipe. Boiling hot water is still widely used for black powder cleaning, so I don't see where it would harm a modern firearm.

Today, a mere rainstorm would just elicit an extra-thorough wipe down with with a cloth and some Frog Lube or other protectant.
Old July 13, 2014, 12:24 AM   #13
mehavey

Notwithstanding any "smell" (which quite frankly takes me way back to the late 60s gunsmith I worked for)....

- Shake excess water off

- Spray down with Water-Displacement formula 40

- Shake that off and leave rifle upright/muzzle down to drain in the bathtub drain.

- Go have a Margarita
Old July 13, 2014, 01:37 AM   #14
Jim243

Quote:
get a couple cans of compressed air.
Stay away from compressed air, it carries a lot of moisture, fire a couple rounds and spray with CLP. When you get home do a good cleaning. WD-40, I don't know, it will smell for quite a while, just stay down wind of any game for a week or two (LOL). AS a matter of fact , stay down wind of me too, I hate that smell. It will also dry out any lube, I would not use it on a AR.

Jim

Last edited by Jim243; July 13, 2014 at 01:57 AM.
Old July 13, 2014, 04:39 AM   #15
Sport45

Compressed air can have moisture if they system doesn't have a proper drier. Canned air, on the other hand, is bone dry.

But use it in puffs with the can held upright. If you hold it upside down it will come out in liquid form and chill whatever you're spraying and moisture from the air will condense and maybe even frost on it.

Instant Ice Cold Beer (From Popular Mechanics. If there was water in the can the nozzle would freeze long before the beer got cold. )