The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old December 17, 2009, 03:07 PM   #1
OkieCruffler

Taurus free wheeling?

I just came into posession of a Taurus 650 as repayment on a debt. My wife and I both carry 650's so I'm fairly familiar with them. This one has an issue. With the cylinder closed I can spin it clockwise with only a slight bit of pressure. Comparing it to my other 2 I can tell the cylinder stop doesn't rise up as far into the notch. When the trigger is pulled it does rise all the way and locks the cylinder securely. Timing seems to be right on. Has anyone run into this before? Short of swapping out trigger and hammer springs I've never had mine opened up. It may not be a huge issue, but little things tend to annoy me.
Old December 17, 2009, 11:38 PM   #2
red caddy

I'd start with a detail strip, hot bath and a blow dry... dried grease and sock fuzz will stop the best of 'em.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:10 AM   #3
OkieCruffler

Stripped it down yesterday and cleaned everything out, was actually pretty clean inside. Compared the cylinder stop to the one in my carry gun and it looks like the slot isn't cut to speck. The trigger can lift it far enough to engage fully but the plunger can't. I may be able to file it into submission, but I hate to start modifing something until I find out if I can get a replacement.
Old December 18, 2009, 08:49 AM   #4
pbratton

Send it to the factory.
Old December 18, 2009, 09:59 AM   #5
OkieCruffler

Quicker to fix it myself and more interesting to boot.
Old December 19, 2009, 12:17 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Unscrew the front sideplate screw, open the cylinder and pull the cylinder and crane off to the front. See if there is a spring and plunger in the hole in the crane axle (the part that fits into the frame). I'll bet there isn't; the parts were probably lost when someone took the gun apart.

Anyway, that spring and plunger operate the cylinder stop. You can probably get the parts from www.gunpartscorp.com.

Jim
Old December 19, 2009, 07:02 AM   #7
OkieCruffler

The spring and plunger are there but the cylinder stop hits the bottom of the trigger before the stop engages fully. When the trigger is pulled it pushes the stop up to engage so it causes no problem. I remember looking at a NIB taurus 22 tracker that did the same thing, even when the hammer was cocked. Maybe sometimes they have a peice that is abit out of speck. May as well replace the whole kit and kaboodle as long as I'm in there. They make pretty decent guns, Lord knows I've abused mine.