The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 30, 2011, 09:54 PM   #1
Civil War Life

50-70 cases

I have a Springfield Model 1866 in 50-70 caliber that I would like to shoot. Anyone know who sells cases and reloading dies? What would be a good bullet choice? Thanks
Old August 30, 2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Buffalo Arms is my first stop for BPCR stuff, but they are out of stock on .50-70 cases. They have a number of .50 bullets but I don't know which is most appropriate.
www.buffaloarms.com

Call 'em up and ask.

Track of the Wolf doesn't have any, either. 90 days is just a guess, from what Starline told a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago.
www.trackofthewolf.com

I couldn't find them at Dixie but that would be another place to keep checking with until some turned up.
www.dixiegunworks.com
Old August 31, 2011, 09:52 AM   #3
Lee McNelly

50/70

can brass be made?
Old August 31, 2011, 10:15 AM   #4
Lee McNelly

50 70

try midway
Old August 31, 2011, 10:46 AM   #5
Fingers McGee

Starline lists them: http://www.starlinebrass.com/advance...0-70&x=20&y=14

But, they're out of stock right now.

Midway is out of stock as well.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old September 1, 2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Maxem0815

Brass is available from Huntington and so are dies. Now I had a beautiful 50/70 and it shot perfect won lots of matches. Now I said had what ever you do do not use nitro powder at all the loads are never safe. My 50/70 is now a worthless carbine. I fired several rounds one match and the barrel cracked forward of the 2nd barrel band. The previous shot hit the target and the barrel was clear but powder unburned got between the original barrel and the original liner. It go kaboom and split the barrel. I now use only BP or BP substitute in my original guns. Besides the safety factor I really do get better accuracy with BP.

Mace
Old September 2, 2011, 07:24 PM   #7
Frontier Soldier

Hi Civil War Life,
Congratulations on being the owner of an 1866.
I would like to suggest to you that you run a chamber casting on your rifle before purchasing .50-70 brass. The reason I say this is, I have read stories of people owning 1866s that have a chamber longer than standard length brass. I have not heard of this condition in 1868 or 1870 model Springfields. It is just a suggestion, and once you have determined your exact chamber length you will be able to trim your cases to match from .50-90 or .50 basic brass. It will help accuracy considerably. At the same time, slug your bore to determine your exact bullet dimensions.
I believe the Lyman 515141 will be closest to the original Arsenal type bullet, but I am not sure of the diameter it will drop from the mould with a soft lead alloy, which is what the rifle was originally intended to fire. Stay away from alloys that contain antimony, as the bullet will be too hard. They have to "slug up" in the bore upon ignition.
Custom moulds can be had to fit your bore, but can be expensive. But in the long run, it will be well worth it.
Good luck.
Old September 6, 2011, 02:19 PM   #8
KBM1

I had good luck with Starline Brass and lyman 50-70 dies. in my 1863 Sharps new model conversion.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=788254
Old September 6, 2011, 04:59 PM   #9
Magnum Wheel Man

I also use Starline Brass & Lyman dies... in my custom Martini... plan on trying Trailboss powder on my next loading, as it's working pretty good on my other "overly large" black powder cartridge cases... I haven't cast any yet, but recieved a large supply of cast bullets & the mold when I bought the rifle... so I couldn't recommend a pre-cast bullet unless one of the guys I like to use in 45 Colt & 45-70 sell one for the 50

BTW... if you're going to use black powder... make sure you rinse them good... I also got 20 "lookers" with the set up I bought... VINTAGE 50-70 cases that were put away without rinsing, & they are pitted too badly to use for anything...
Old September 7, 2011, 10:18 AM   #10
byronw999

Best thing to do is place a Back Order at Track, Midway etc so when they do come in you will get some of them... I have a BO at Track for 100... I have NYS Militia 50-70 Roller and a Springfield conversion and only 20 rounds of brass between them..