The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 9, 2009, 07:47 AM   #1
bumnote

Question about refinishing stocks M1 Carbine

I've got an Auto Ordinance M1 Carbine that I'd like to refinish the walnut stocks on, make it just a little darker w/ a gloss finish.
Is there an easier way than sanding off the existing oil finish? I doubt it, but if there is I'd love to know.
Also, what type of finish should I be looking at? This would be the first time I’ve tried something like this. I'll be applying the new finish w/ a brush, I'm an apartment dweller so spraying on a finish isn't practical.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Old June 9, 2009, 08:00 AM   #2
JWT

My Auto Ordinance carbine stock just has an oil finish on it. Assuming yours is the same you should be able to lightly sand it with a very fine grit sand paper and then apply a stain to get the color you want. MinWax has some good stains that you can look at for that purpose. Apply according to the directions. (You're going darker and don't actually have to remove the existing finish.)

After you have the desired color and the stain dries you can apply a finish coat. If you want a high, hard gloss you can use a polyurethane. If you don't want something quite that glossy consider MinWax Antigue oil. It gives a very nice sheen, especially after several coats. I've used it on a couple different stocks and been very satisfied with the results.
Old June 9, 2009, 09:00 AM   #3
bumnote

Thanks JWT.
Old June 9, 2009, 09:26 AM   #4
Hank D.

#1-If you want to stay original, I would rub it down with a fine steel wool with some boiled linseed oil to get the crud off and then let it dry for a couple of days, then back to the very fine steel wool but this time with a little butchers wax, again let dry a little and then whipe down with an old as you have T shirt and whipe again! If you use anything but linseed oil it will not be original, #2- If you don't care about that, clean it off with some alcohol, let dry totaly, go to ACE hardwear and go look at the Minwax display for a color match that suits you, Stain It & let it dry totaly again and then use the Minwax water based Poly finish, gloss, semi gloss or satin which ever floats your boat.the reason I say the water based is you said that you lived in an apartment and it's an easy water clean up and also a faster drying, and ease of many 2-3 & 4coats.
Good luck, Hank D.
Old June 10, 2009, 06:17 AM   #5
velocette

All the information you could possible need is here:

http://www.odcmp.com/Services/Rifles...ng_article.htm