The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 14, 2013, 11:05 AM   #1
cetanner

AR15 and Left Handers

I am shopping for an AR15 and I am left handed. Most AR15's I have seen are built for right handed shooters. What problems if any will I have if I buy a right handed AR15 and shoot it left handed? Thanks
Old March 14, 2013, 11:07 AM   #2
sourdough44

Stag is of good quality and offers left handed models, I'd look there.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:18 AM   #3
YankeeSpirit76

I own a Stag left hand AR. It is high quality, dependable, never let me down.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:22 AM   #4
cetanner

Haven't been able to find any left handed AR15's where I live (South Carolina). All the LGS have are right handed models. What problems will I have if I buy a right handed AR15 and shoot it left handed? Do any of you do this?
Old March 14, 2013, 11:30 AM   #5
RickB

I had an ambi selector on my AR for a short time, and didn't like it. As I rotated it down with my left thumb, the lever on the other side would dig into my trigger finger.
I was speaking with a lefty three-gunner (I shot 3-gun too, but it was 6-8 years ago), to see if there were any new techniques for lefties shooting "right-handed" ARs, and he handles the gun the same way I do. Trigger finger on the selector and bolt release, right thumb on the mag release (works especially well if you intend to retain the mag).
I've never had an issue with right-side ejection.
Old March 14, 2013, 11:34 AM   #6
cetanner

Thanks RickB. I was most concerned about problems with ejection. Glad to hear you didn't have any. Wish I could find an AR15 for lefties but haven't been able to do so. Hard enough to find one for right handers
Old March 14, 2013, 12:02 PM   #7
Fishbed77

Quote:
What problems if any will I have if I buy a right handed AR15 and shoot it left handed?
None. The AR is one of the most friendly rifles out there for lefties.

The charging handle is ambidextrous and the shell deflector keeps brass out of your face.

The mag release is easy to operate with your thumb when grabbing an empty, and the safety can be operated with your forefinger (or you can easily install an ambi safety).
Old March 14, 2013, 12:10 PM   #8
globemaster3

As was mentioned, Stag makes a good left-handed AR, as well as Rock River Arms. The downside, like you mentioned, is finding one!

Fishbed mentioned the shell deflector and that point is crucial for lefties. If you find an entry level rifle, some were made what we call "slick sided", which means they lack a forward assist, shell deflector, and dust cover, as cost cutting measures. If you decide to not wait for a left-handed AR (which it sounds likely based on your words) and suddenly find a righty available, pay attention to the upper configuration and make sure it has that shell deflector.

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old March 14, 2013, 01:10 PM   #9
redhologram

I'm also a lefty but retrained on pistols to shoot right handed left eye dominant.
The AR, has been a whole different animal for me. I gave it a try doing it left handed just to see what it was like but got tired of brass raining down on me. So now I am in the process of TRYING to learn how to do it right-handed and right eye dominant. My problem is... I am SO left eye dominant that I almost feel vertigo trying to get my right eye to take control and focus. It can be done, it's just challenging.
I am determined to live as a righty in the gun world though.

Definitely get the shell deflector, if possible, if you are going to shoot left handed with a right handed rifle.

Good luck!!!
Old March 14, 2013, 01:35 PM   #10
4V50 Gary
Staff

I also have a left handed Stag upper.

However, the only time I've had brass in the face was a highly sporterized AR that did not have the brass shell deflector and the ejection port had been milled back to make it longer (for a new charging handle attached t directly to the bolt carrier). Even with the older A-1 receivers I've never had brass in the face.

The right handed AR with brass deflector can be very friendly. Add an ambidextrous safety and a Norgon (there are others but Norgon is standard issue on Canadian AR issued military guns) magazine release and you should be good to go.
Old March 14, 2013, 05:55 PM   #11
RamItOne

No issues. My buddy does say the rounds come awfully close to my face

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old March 14, 2013, 06:47 PM   #12
Achilles11B

My AR is left-handed because the owner is. Regardless of what side it ejects from, the principles of good training remain. Practice, practice practice. Do I catch the odd piece of brass to the face from time to time when it bounces off the sling? Sure, but that's the price you pay for being awesome.
Old March 14, 2013, 06:50 PM   #13
snowy

I am left handed and shoot right hand AR's, no problem at all
Old March 15, 2013, 06:56 PM   #14
Grimlok

Left eye dominant here. Shoot long guns lefty. No problems operating AR's. Like others have said, make sure the upper has a deflector and you're good to go. Last time Obama was elected, I had just bought a Bushmaster, but I ordered a Stag model 6, took 13 months to receive it.

Honestly, I've never even fired the Stag. Absolutely no issues shooting the right hander, lefty.
Old March 15, 2013, 11:53 PM   #15
swcc22

Re: AR15 and Left Handers

Im left handed but being a left hander in a whole family of right handers I was taught to do everything right handed.

I shoot left handed so my bushmaster will eject a round and graze my right check every 3rd or 4th round but spending 5.5years in the military of right handed rifles I learned to deal with it and it fallowed me in to civilian life.
Old March 16, 2013, 01:11 AM   #16
Niantician

Re: AR15 and Left Handers

I've been carrying an M16/AR15 professionally for 13 yrs now. I'm left handed. Aside from the fact that the ejection port will sometimes spit some gunblast in your face with a dirty or over oiled weapon, there really aren't any drawbacks. You will get used the the safety and other fire controls being where they are. I've never looked because I've never felt the need, but a reverse charging handle would be the only component I would like to swap out.
Old March 16, 2013, 05:16 AM   #17
Auto426

It's pretty easy to accesorize a standard AR-15 for lefties. Most rifles already come with a shell deflector, and things like ambi selectors and charging handled are simple drop in parts. There are even single sided safeties that can be swapped over to the opposite side of the rifle for lefty operation, making things even easier.

If you really want a gun that's lefty friendly there are a few companies out there making lowers with fully ambidextrous controls, allowing you to operate the mag release and the bolt release from either side of the rifle, but they usually aren't very cheap.
Old March 16, 2013, 07:08 AM   #18
FoghornLeghorn

I shoot left handed and own two ARs, a PC S&W M&P15 and a Sig 716. I've never encountered any inconvenience in firing either of them. In fact, I've never encountered any inconvenience in any semi auto rifle I've owned except the Browning bottom eject 22. The way I fire in the standing position, the 22 cases would eject onto my (bare, in the summer) forearm.

I would only buy right handed ARs as resale would be much easier and more profitable.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:12 PM   #19
psycho nut

I bought a lefty stag a few years ago and love it. It only took 3 days total from order to pick up. The good old days!! But if you ever plan on reselling it I'd suggest a right handed one.

I buy everything that I can left handed and don't tend to get rid of my guns so it's alright for me.
Old March 17, 2013, 06:49 PM   #20
BigD_in_FL

Quote:
Haven't been able to find any left handed AR15's where I live (South Carolina). All the LGS have are right handed models. What problems will I have if I buy a right handed AR15 and shoot it left handed? Do any of you do this?
Yes - mine (now my son's) has a brass deflector - still shooting glasses are imperative for any LH shooter shooting any semi longarm - whether rifle or shotgun - to prevent powder debris or other objects from getting into your eyes
Old March 17, 2013, 07:32 PM   #21
TMD

I'm a lefty and have 9 AR's all right handed and have never had an issue shooting any of them.
I will say though that the DPMS sportster model without the brass deflector and dust cover made the brass come a little too close for comfort but didn't get hit none the less.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:17 AM   #22
Marquezj16

I'm a righty but occasionally will shoot my right-handed ARs lefty. Never had a problem with brass coming back at me. It was a challenge and had to change the way I held the mag well as if you hold it too close or high and you could interfere with the ejection port.
Old March 18, 2013, 07:31 AM   #23
dontcatchmany

I am a lefty. Grew up with right handed rifles and such. Served in the Army and had right handed M14 and m16. Not a problem.

Everything I have now including AR15 and AR10 type weapons are right handed except a Remington 870 which is lefthanded and just happened to be on sale at a local gun shop a few years ago.

I have a little more discomfort with revolvers but have adapted to loading and unloading.

I am currently looking for a semi auto handgun and it seems that most of them are totally right handed as far as a few items like safety and mag release and such. I am doing research on a couple of semi's in .40 cal that are ambidextrous.
Old March 18, 2013, 01:01 PM   #24
t45

I am left handed also and had the same dilema. As other have said, Stag Arms has left handed models. Stag Arms according to their web site is about 12 months behind on orders. I went with a right handed AR simply because I figured I could get replacement parts pretty easy and not be locked in to a certain maker. Shooting a right handed AR left handed hasnt been much of an issue for me. Just my .02.
Old March 19, 2013, 07:47 PM   #25
dakota.potts

Shooting left hand (because of eye dominance) I've not had any problem with AR's or even the Sig 552 but these have all been in .22 and not .223. Bolt actions have been easy to adjust as well. I'd say don't worry about it if you can pick one up in the store and get everything working.