The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 5, 2013, 12:21 AM   #1
kc_hhsl

Laser, light, other attachment

Just bought a Ruger P95.

Was thinking about adding an attachemnt - like a laser or a small flashlight attachemnt.

What are the thoughts? Bad idea? Worth the money?

If it comes time for home protection this is what I use. Though I'm not overally worried about having to ever use it.

NRA Life Member
Old March 5, 2013, 12:58 AM   #2
kraigwy

Laser sights are well worth the money. If nothing else for training, or dryfiring.

When dry firing with a laser sight you can actually see what happens on the target. Really helps in trigger control, which is the most important part of marksmanship fundamentals.

They DO NOT replace the pistol/revolvers sights, they supplement them.

They do work in low light where you can't see your sights.

I'd recommend going to the Crimson Trace Website and download their (free) video and watch it to get some ideal of the value of laser sights.

They are dependant on batteries, but they do last a long time. To be on the safe side, I change my batteries twice a year, when I change my clocks and batteries in my smoke detectors.

I'm against weapon mounted flash lights. Learn to use the light in your other hand. If someone is going to shoot at me, I figure they will be shooting at the light. I want that light extended away from my body, not under my eye which is looing over the sights.

Again, laser sights don't replace the pistol/revolver's sights, they supplement them.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 5, 2013, 01:10 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

add-ons, input...

For a concealed carry sidearm it's important to bear in mind what the equipment(white light, laser-aimer, extended safety, etc) can & can not do.
Some tactics instructors discourage students or gun owners from adding a lot of gadgets & custom stuff.

I feel you can benefit from some add-ons but you must practice & use high quality kit. No mall ninja knock-offs.
A special holster or concealment plan may be needed. Extended magazine releases, safety levers, 1913 lights, lasers, etc may snag or break in a critical incident.

I'd add a few items to a carry pistol; night sights(3 dot), grips(that are not slick or hard to hold if wet). A tactical light may help but they do best for open carry or home protection.
ClydeFrog
www.crimsontrace.com www.lasermax.com www.trijicon.com
Old March 9, 2013, 08:00 AM   #4
Murdock

My take is the opposite of Kraigwy's. Lasers don't do much for me beyond their novelty value. Weapon mounted lights are good juju.

You didn't indicate why you were considering an "add on." To what purpose are you considering putting something on your gun? Recreational or tactical?

Yes, somebody can shoot at the light, but you don't turn it on until you are ready to shoot, or not shoot, depending upon final threat identification. And this isn't a choice between a weapon light and a hand held light. You need both. (Two is one and one is none). Clint Smith wrote about this quite recently in Handgunner, IIRC.

For home defense a weapon light is superior.
Old March 9, 2013, 09:47 AM   #5
TailGator

Don't add an accessory because you have a rail; add an accessory because you have a need and a use for it. If you don't have a need for it, you are better off spending your money on ammo and/or training. This is sacrilege to some folks who are enthusiastic about their gear, but in many situations, a moderately good handheld LED flashlight kept next to your pistol will suffice if you take some time to learn the coordination between light and pistol.
Old March 15, 2013, 07:08 PM   #6
B.O.F.H.

I keep a flashlight attached to my carry gun. Its more for a simplicity of training. I have a holster to accommodate it and I like knowing the same gun I carry goes on the night stand in the same condition. YMMV.
Old March 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #7
pax

Before you add hardware, add software.

pax
Old March 16, 2013, 11:38 AM   #8
KO3422

An X300 was one of the best investments I made years and years ago. Far and away better than any laser I've tried. I don't any laser to this day. But own many weapon mounted lights.
Old March 16, 2013, 12:02 PM   #9
ClydeFrog

$ vs tactical use...

$ or prices may be an issue too. A Surefire foregrip 12ga whitelight costs nearly as much as a NIB 870 12ga! The same goes for a cool Viridin green laser aimer/light. They run almost as much as a NIB M&P or XD series(pre Sandy Hook/gun mania 2013).

Unless you are rich or are a SWAT cop or DEVGRU SEAL I doubt you can "kit up" that way.

CF
Old March 17, 2013, 09:09 PM   #10
Boomer58cal

I love having a light on most of my guns. In the dark you need to identify your target. If you don't want them to see you don't turn it on. When you don't have one and need one you sing a different toon. Always identify your target. Combat and HD are also totally different environments but you still need to identify your target one way or another. It doesn't matter if it's a burglar, terrorist, enemy soldier or the four horsemen of the apocalypse. Friendly fire isn't and incoming bullets always have right of way!

Boomer
Old March 19, 2013, 08:03 AM   #11
sfmedic

visible laser is good for LOW light. If your LE and you take a shot with a visible laser in the dark your going to be squirming when your asked how you ID ed the dead guy in the dark - (did you see his hands?)

white light does have a distinct disadvantage for the guy with the light that was alluded to before - for that spit second they have you before you ID them.

and NO it isnt an automatic shot when your light goes on - there is still the ID whether friend or foe before the shot. Bad habit to train without an ID.

having said that think about where your sights are if your up and ready for the shot.... your threat (the hands) may very well be in the area occluded by your site picture. This means different things if your in the corner of your room listening to an intruder coming down the hall towards your door or if your a cop doing a no knock on a crack house.

If you get gun "furniture" as the Brits like to call it. know how and when to use it. Dont get it because its cool. (or your cat really reallly really likes that red laser dot game). Have a plan for how your going to "deploy the toy"
Old March 19, 2013, 10:27 AM   #12
giaquir

Murdock +1
Old March 19, 2013, 12:07 PM   #13
Onward Allusion

Just another tool. Train with it and it'll be an advantage. Relying too much on lasers & lights is a no-no.
Old March 22, 2013, 10:18 AM   #14
FireForged

I do not suggest adding anything to a handgun except possibly some good sights. Thats just me.
Old March 29, 2013, 05:56 PM   #15
DasGuy

I have a laser on my carry gun. Why not give yourself as many advantages as possible?
Old March 30, 2013, 01:09 AM   #16
JimmyR

While I don't keep a light on any of my handguns, I do keep a light on my HD shotgun. I got one of the light/laser/strobe combo sets, and the light goes on when I have to grab my shotgun. In the end, it is my responsibility to ID my target before I take a shot, and to do that, I have to see them. While the light may cost me some tactical advantage, It is still my duty to make sure I am using justifiable force.