The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 4, 2012, 08:13 AM   #51
thallub

Quote:
I'll be interested in what the police eventually release as the second man's official statement.
Why does it matter what the accomplice says? He is desperate to avoid a charge of second degree murder and a long term in McAlester prison.

i don't know where the unconfirmed stuff about eviction is coming from. The lady simply killed a perp who broke into her home: A perp armed with a big knife. The perp did not have the best interest of the lady in mind.

Last edited by thallub; January 4, 2012 at 08:22 AM.
Old January 4, 2012, 09:35 AM   #52
mehavey

Quote:
Why does it matter what the accomplice says?

'No, no!' said the Queen.
'Sentence first - verdict afterwards.'

Amendment VI
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial,
by an impartial jury of the state and district wherein the crime shall have been committed,
which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of
the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him;
to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the assistance
of counsel for his defense.

It would really be "nice" to observe the minor details here.
Old January 4, 2012, 10:29 AM   #53
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Mehavey, the only witness against the second perp is himself, and possibly the young woman if she was aware there were two people trying to break in. The facts remain:
  • The deceased was apparently stalking her
  • Her dogs had been killed
  • Her husband had just died, so the entire community knew she was alone
  • The perps spent twenty minutes trying to find a way into the house
  • The woman was on the phone with 9-1-1 the entire twenty minutes (or most of it)
  • The dispatcher counseled her on when it was legal for her to shoot, and she help off until the deceased actually got it -- even though she must have been terrified
If you choose to believe that the young woman somehow conspired to lure the deceased to the house so she could kill him, you have my permission to continue.
Old January 4, 2012, 10:49 AM   #54
mehavey

There are only two people alive who know what actually happened here.
Let us at least hear from both of them.
It's otherwise Red Queen time.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:43 AM   #55
Mike Irwin
Staff

Duplicate threads merged.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 4, 2012, 11:49 AM   #56
jimpeel

Quote:
As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly.
WKRP In Cincinnati. One of the funniest lines ever.

"Science is built up with facts, as a house is with stones. But a collection of facts is no more a science than a heap of stones is a house." - Jules Henri Poincare

"Three thousand people died on Sept. 11 because eight pilots were killed"
-- former Northwest Airlines pilot Stephen Luckey
Old January 4, 2012, 11:53 AM   #57
Mike Irwin
Staff

This is a firearms discussion board, NOT a board for discussing who can/should be married to whom, etc.

Off topic posts have been deleted, as will subsequent off-topic posts (but I'm guessing that there won't be any, right? RIGHT?)

Thank kew.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:06 PM   #58
MLeake

mehavey, it is one thing to say,
"We should hear both sides before judging."

It is another thing entirely to say something seems suspicious.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:23 PM   #59
mehavey

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHavey
.... something doesn't feel quite completely right yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEHavey
Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
mehavey, it is one thing to say,

It is another thing entirely to say something seems suspicious.
There was a leap of logic (not to mention quote) there.
I still want to hear what the other party to this event has to say.
Old January 4, 2012, 12:36 PM   #60
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not sure what more we could know that would change the basics of the event. The guy had a 12" knife. That doesn't jive AT ALL with being sent by the property owner for any lawful purpose. Even if the woman was there without a lease or the landlords approval, sending armed thugs to beat down the doors and kick her out would be illegal. If they intended to use weapons, it's obviously an illegal deadly threat.

The more that comes out the worse it looks for the dead guy. I see no reason to withhold opinions on the matter. Might they be wrong opinions? Maybe. So what? They're opinions. They hold no legal weight and no influence on anyone who matters. Meaningless speculation on a topic which interests us.

We're not a judge and jury. We are not held to any standard of "innocent until proven guilty". If we were, we could never even discuss these incidents because we will never have all the information necessary, as presented to a jury, to make any kind of judgement under those standards.
Old January 4, 2012, 01:00 PM   #61
thallub

The police support the lady in her shooting of the perp. If others, besides the perp who accompanied the late perp, were directly or indirectly involved in this attack they will be charged.

On 3 January the DA released the 911 tape. The DA stated its unlikely the lady will face any charges. In OK the DA is not required to take a righteous shooting case to the grand jury.

http://www.koco.com/r-video/30129050/detail.html
Old January 4, 2012, 01:31 PM   #62
rod Hott

Why the 2nd Amendment was written

One less lowlife to deal with.
Old January 4, 2012, 01:33 PM   #63
mehavey

Quote:
We are not held to any standard of "innocent until proven guilty".
True -- during the fact
Quote:
We're not a judge and jury.
But that is how we are now acting, after the fact.

Obviously I grew up in a different world.
And even though I come down on the side of the lady's actions during the fact, after the fact I want to hear from the other side before deciding further actions
Old January 4, 2012, 01:59 PM   #64
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

"Judge" in the legal sense of the word. We make "judgements" every day based on all sorts of incomplete scenarios.

I'd want to hear "from the other side before deciding further actions" too... but I'm not deciding further actions. I'm discussing a situation in which I am not involved and have no influence.

As such, whether or not I or you have an opinion or believe the dead guy or the living girl, it's nothing more than idle conversation with no impact on any one any where.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:04 PM   #65
Alaska444

For those doubting this lady and her story, please find me ONE credible source that has any proof of the anonymous internet rumors circulating such as that these creeps were agents of the landlord, or that she planted the knife etc.

The more evidence released, the more her story is corroborated. If the 911 tapes are not evidence, golly gee whiz, don't ever call 911 for anything in the future or the internet kangaroo court will have you convicted and sentenced in no time at all.

Hopefully the landlord will make a statement soon disavowing these creeps. I am sure that the cops have already taken his statement on this issue.

I suspect that that there is a real reason why the cops are continuing to call this a "premeditated home invasion." The other man remains in jail, the DA is not seeking charges against this lady.

Perhaps learning how to read into the events that we know about so far should give folks a clue. This was a planned, cruel, terroristic home invasion. Any other interpretation from the evidence confirmed to date is just wild off based speculation.
Old January 4, 2012, 02:15 PM   #66
mehavey

Quote:
Hopefully the landlord will make a statement soon disavowing these creeps.
I, too, would like to hear that.
Quote:
The other man remains in jail,
I await the public defender's explanation from the accused side as well.

... aaaaah, what then heck.
Let's just hang him and be done w/ it
Old January 4, 2012, 04:45 PM   #67
MLeake

mehavey, no, I didn't directly or exactly quote you. Notice I used no quotation marks nor quotation function, and did not represent it as a quote.

What I wrote was what you call a "leap of logic," but what I call an "inference" based on the post you specifically quoted, and also your earlier post where you flatly said that there was more to this than just a simple home invasion.

Combine those two posts, and it sure reads like you find something fishy in all this. So, if I misread you, mea culpa. But that's how you came across to me, and it wouldn't surprise me if that's exactly how you came across to others who have responded to you.

What amazes me, though, is that there is a 911 recording of the events, and having listened to them, the police and the DA are still backing the woman - yet anonymous posters at the news station keep making conspiracy type claims. The recorded call plus police/prosecutorial response would indicate to me that the surviving defendant may have his work cut out for him. That his defense attorney is not yet playing damage control (for instance, making comments about "trial by media," or "waiting until all the facts are in") also implies bad things for him.
Old January 4, 2012, 05:09 PM   #68
Alaska444

Dear MLeake, I suspect a plea bargain will be in the works quite soon since there is no suspician officially against this young lady and much suspician against these two coupled with much evidence already. According to most states, if a person dies in a criminal act, felony, that you participated, you can be charged with the murder of that person as well. There is much more at risk for the second accomplice than just breaking and entering or home invasion.

I simply ignore all of this unfounded anonymous internet chatter and am quite surprised that anyone is giving that a second thought.
Old January 4, 2012, 05:16 PM   #69
Bartholomew Roberts

One interesting phenomena is something I've noted in a couple of shootings where self-defense was alleged now - friends of both the shooter and shootee take to the Internet to make allegations, claim the news got it wrong, slander each other, threaten each other, etc.

I think it fairly likely that in the future, you can expect to have the friends, family and associates of the person shot in a self-defense case to be offering their take on the event in the comments of the news story. One more angle of the post-shooting aftermath to think about and plan for.
Old January 4, 2012, 05:50 PM   #70
markj

Good for her. The phrase "shoot lizabeth shoot" was running thru my mind as I read that story.
Old January 4, 2012, 06:15 PM   #71
mehavey

When capital crimes & lives are involved -- both that of victim & accused -- I tend to take care that a rush to judgement is not based on a single side's story and the hearsay of others. (Too many courts martial in my background I guess.)

Were I the DA, I would not consider charges against the young lady either at this point. But I would certainly like to get the backstory of all that preceded this affair as it appears there is extensive history -- not to mention the strange element of fully 20 minutes of knocking at the door prior to the shooting.

- What communication was going back & forth during that time?
- What (if anything) did the 911 operator hear upon actual break-in?
Old January 4, 2012, 06:33 PM   #72
Mr. James

Why on earth would the landlord respond to - well, what, exactly? Anonymous comments left on a television news program's web site? Is there one credible suggestion that these two thugs were operating as any landlord's agents, or any indication that the police were even entertaining such a possibility? Maybe the landlord should be monitoring Justin-n-Dustin's Facebook pages to respond to any slanders posted there, too?

Sheesh.

Good shoot, mom; you did Blanchard, Okla. a great service.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old January 4, 2012, 06:44 PM   #73
Alaska444

Yes, knocking on the door with a hammer!!

I will gladly wait for all of the elements to come together with this story, but I could really give a hoot about 3rd party anonymous hearsay. If there is something contradictory in the lady's story, it will come out one of these days. So far, no evidence of that at all. Since this has made national news headlines, I am sure that the sheriffs will make a statement at some point laying out some but not all of the evidence against the alleged accomplice and the man that died.

So far, two dead dogs likely poisoned, a man coming on the property shortly after her husbands death "introducing himself," and then a 20 minute assault againts her trailer trying to gain entrance are all bits of evidence outside of anything but an attempted home invasion.

If there is exculpatory evidence, that will come out. I suspect there won't be much of that any time soon if ever. So far there is a whole lot of inculpatory evidence against these two. The fact that the lady called for police to intervene will not go against her and is in many ways the best evidence that she is a victim in this entire affair. How many people go to the lengths that these creeps went to get inside against her permission. They are the people that have the splainin to do.
Old January 4, 2012, 06:55 PM   #74
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey
I still want to hear what the other party to this event has to say.
I'd like to hear the story he concocts now that he has had time to think it over and, probably, converse with an attorney. What seems most pertinent is that, directly after the "incident," perp #2 went directly to the police and turned himself in. One does not turn oneself in if one has not perpetrated a crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehavey
Obviously I grew up in a different world.
And even though I come down on the side of the lady's actions during the fact, after the fact I want to hear from the other side before deciding further actions
"Before deciding further actions"? What further actions? We are NOT the jury on this case. The only action we're likely to take might be to decide whether or not to send a check to the young woman to help her out. If you need to hear the fairy tale the second perp creates before making that decision, that's perfectly fine.

I don't need to hear the fairy tale.
Old January 4, 2012, 07:00 PM   #75
Ambishot

+1 MTT TL

Quote:
This reads much better than "Teenage Mother Raped and Killed by Unknown Intruders".
I definitely agree. Good job for her.