The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 28, 2011, 06:17 PM   #1
NYCShooter

Federal #1 Buck with FliteControl Released!

Federal has just released the long awaited, much anticipated #1 Buck with FliteControl (12 gauge, 15 pellet, low recoil). This is my new HD load!
LE132 1B http://le.atk.com/general/federalpro...lbuckshot.aspx
Old December 28, 2011, 06:47 PM   #2
SCDeac82

$$ ?

NYC: Have you heard about the price?

I sure like the idea of "reduced recoil" after shooting just a few Rounds of Rem 00 Buck today at the range out of a BPS 12.

Wow. I need a really good recoil pad.

JB
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old December 28, 2011, 06:57 PM   #3
Gehrhard

Yawn

Great, but only if their marketing department and your department attorney convinced you you need lower power and don't want a proper shotgun pattern. In fact, that you don't really even want a shotgun...
Old December 28, 2011, 07:13 PM   #4
NYCShooter

For HD, I like a tight pattern, no stray pellets and no over penetration. And, reduced recoil insures quick second shot target recapture. As usual YMMV.
Old December 28, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
NYCShooter

Quote:
NYC: Have you heard about the price?
It was just announced, so I doubt whether the dealers even have it in stock as yet.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:07 PM   #6
shooter1911

I keep my HD Shotgun with 18.5" IC barrel loaded with LE132 Reduced Recoil 00 Buck with flite control. From my bedroom door I can see three entry points to my house, which are a patio door at 11yds, garage door through the kitchen at 13yds, and the front door at 15yds.

I patterned my shotgun at 7 to 15yds, and with the above ammo the max pattern I got at 15yds was four inches. Federal Flite Control ammo put the pellets where you want them.

By the way, we no longer have kids living in the house, and when the grand kids stay with us all guns live in the safe.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:15 PM   #7
PawPaw

I really like that Federal LE buckshot. It keeps the patterns remarkably tight, which is the key to its effectiveness. Back in the day I shot a deer with a standard 9 pellet 00 load at a range of about 15 yards. Terrible performance. The deer was standing in a logging road with nothing between me and her. When I stood up, she skidded to a halt and I popped one at her. I knew she was hit, but she ran off. We found her about 100 yards away. One pellet broke her leg, another pellet went into a lung. Yeah, we recovered her, but I quit hunting with buckshot that day.

On the other hand, this Federal load is the cat's meow. When we qualified last year, we were using the 00 LE 9 pellet load. Our cruiser 870s would keep all the pellets inside the 8 ring of a standard B27 target at 25 yards. By the time the qual was over, the target had a big ragged hole where the 8 ring had been. Great performance.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old December 28, 2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Gehrhard

What Am I Missing?

1911; Sorry, is the 4" pattern "better" than the 22" pattern you'd otherwise expect, wouldn't your POI have to be within 2" of your POA and a pistol or carbine be as good or better if you're that accurate in such a situation, and couldn't you just use a different choke to get there (like Improved Modified) than special ammo? What am I missing!?

Paw paw; you hit a doe standing in the open at 15 yards with only two of nine 00 pellets and blame the ammo for not stopping her. You don't think it was all YOU, and, want a TIGHTER pattern to, what, improve your chances? What am I missing!?

Last edited by Gehrhard; December 28, 2011 at 09:31 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:26 PM   #9
mrgoodwrench76

Didn't you read the write up Gehrhard? They said it was tactical, what more do you want?
Old December 28, 2011, 09:32 PM   #10
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gehrhard
Paw paw: you hit a doe at 15 yards with two of 9 00 pellets at 15 yards, blame the ammo, and want a TIGHTER pattern? You don't think it was all YOU!?
Yeah, it was my fault. I failed to pattern the shotgun with that ammo prior to the hunt. As a life-long shotgun shooter, and at that time, a competitive skeet shooter, I should have known better. I didn't realize how lousy that ammo was. At 15 yards, I hit her in the lower leg and the lung. That's about a 24 inch spread at 15 yards, and God only knows where the other 7 pellets went. I didn't miss her, but I didn't hit her as solidly as I could have. That was the ammo's fault, and my fault for not knowing it was lousy ammo.

Quote:
What am I missing!?
What you're missing is that this is Really Good Ammo. It's head and shoulders better than the buckshot ammo we had five years ago. This ammo is really that good.

Old December 28, 2011, 09:43 PM   #11
Gehrhard

Tactical -- I think that means the shells come in subdued red, parkerized, black, flat-earth and digital woodland camo. Do you know which color is most effective in the typical HD scenario please!?
Old December 28, 2011, 09:47 PM   #12
shooter1911

Quote:
1911; Sorry, is the 4" pattern "better" than the 22" pattern you'd otherwise expect, wouldn't your POI have to be within 2" of your POA and a pistol or carbine be as good or better, and couldn't you just use a different choke than different ammo? What am I missing!?
Gehrhard-I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying, but I will give it a try. As far as using a rifle of pistol instead of a shotgun, I would say nine 33 caliber pellets hitting a kill zone would be more effective than either a rifle or pistol. Also I live in a residential area on one acre, and shooting a rifle might not be healthy for my neighbors. My ability to shoot fast and hard with a shotgun far exceeds my ability with a handgun, especially coming out of a dead sleep.

The beauty of shooting LE ammo with flite control is you can shoot a very short barreled shotgun and get a very tight pattern at short or long distances. I don't know of many 18.5 inch full choke barrels. And yes the 4" pattern is much better than a 22" pattern if you want to hit your target in the kill zone without destroying everything in your house.
Old December 28, 2011, 09:49 PM   #13
Gehrhard

Paw paw; don't you realize you'd almost certainly have missed her ENTIRELY with the new "Really Good Ammo"? You were off target! That's the point -- you got her anyway BECAUSE you were using a forgiving shotgun AS a shotgun is supposed to be (well, should be better than that, but, you should see my point).

Last edited by Gehrhard; December 28, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
Old December 28, 2011, 10:22 PM   #14
Gehrhard

1911; of course a tighter choke would narrow the width of the pattern to a limit with Buckshot. Forget that here. There's the kill zone.

The KILL ZONE. Yes. So, it is betting that your sleepy self will see and hit that 2" "kill zone" at 15 yards with your shotgun bead sight, no, tactical ghost ring sights, at night to keep from hurting the walls and furniture. A sensible trade I think -- paint, wallpaper and furniture is SO expensive these days. Oh. Wait. If you miss, which is much more likely than with that terrible old fashioned ammo (no-one would ever use that for HD), and different from that old fashioned ammo, you didn't stop the threat but did devastate the wall and furniture with a 4" hole that otherwise would have produced a few extra .30 caliber holes before.

What am I still missing? I'm sure this new ammo is an improvement to old fashioned buckshot shells -- is a solution to a real problem.
Old December 28, 2011, 10:29 PM   #15
mrgoodwrench76

Now I'm missing something....do they really come in woodland cammo, cause if so I'm in!
Old December 28, 2011, 11:01 PM   #16
shooter1911

Quote:
What am I still missing? I'm sure this new ammo is an improvement to old fashioned buckshot shells -- is a solution to a real problem.
What you are missing is you are acting like a wise acre tonight. I personally don't have time to feed your desire for a fight. You might look for someone else to play with. Good Night.
Old December 28, 2011, 11:11 PM   #17
NYCShooter

Quote:
What am I still missing?
Gehrhard, you are missing that most others have a different opinion than you. And most feel that Federal FliteControl and, to a lesser extent, Hornady TAP are major improvements. The fact is, FliteControl through and ordinary barrel will out pattern anything through a Van Comp barrel and, IMO, that is a very good thing. As I said earlier YMMV.

I have been using LE132-00 for over two years and considered it to be the best tactical HD ammo, until now. I will be moving to LE132-1B because I consider #1 buck w/FliteControl to be THE perfect HD ammo.

BTW, you might find this analysis of shotgun home defense ammunition interesting. Unfortunately it predates FliteControl, but concludes that #1 buck the most effective shot shell for HD. http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs10.htm
Old December 28, 2011, 11:50 PM   #18
catnphx

Federal 00 w/ Flitecontrol is a great HD round if you want the pellets to go where you shoot them. I look forward to seeing the 1B in action.
Kahr CW9 (w/ Kholster Crescent IWB)
Old December 29, 2011, 01:05 AM   #19
RsqVet

I for one appreciate this info as if if is that tight I might use it.

For me tight pattern would be a benefit. Currently use slugs as in a hd scenario there is a good chance one it both of my dogs will be in the vicinity and I have no desire to hurt them.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:46 AM   #20
mongo356

Gehrhard- If you still don't understand I will try and find the crayons........BTW Federal says not to use with a choke, they actually spread further apart due to the wad design. I tested it and it does spread further apart as the choke gets tighter.

i'm also interested in the new #1 Buck

Last edited by mongo356; January 17, 2012 at 04:03 AM.
Old December 29, 2011, 06:54 AM   #21
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongo356
Federal says not to use with a choke, they actually spread further apart due to the wad design. I tested it and it does spread further apart as the choke gets tighter.
That's good information. Thanks! I'll have to test that myself. My cruiser shotgun has Rem-chokes and currently the MOD tube is in the barrel. I'll have to try it with a more open choke and see what happens.

Old December 29, 2011, 09:48 AM   #22
Rugerismisticness

Over here, we like everything to be tight. Our patterns, our 1911s, our wo.. yeah, tight is good. I have no doubt that a flite control product is a more effective hunting round than a standard product. There is no question that I will hit the deer/pig/goose, but hitting with the extra pellets on mass is much more effective than having maybe 4 buck pellets hit the deer. Other mfgs have already started to copy, I believe Win has a new waterfowl load with a flite control knockoff.
Old December 29, 2011, 02:22 PM   #23
Gehrhard

As an adult I've always known #1 Buckshot is better for security than #00 as is #0 Buck which I myself prefer (more controllable than #1 too and I don't even need to pay more for less recoil). But since when and why is a tighter pattern better just because it is smaller?

By that logic a bullet is [I]better/I] and maybe a .17 Ackley Bee is best! Isn't a proper shotgun pattern the goal? Hence choke!? This isn't new. But the perspective is...

An example above demonstrates an inherent feature and the benefits of a shotgun as well as implying what's likely to happen when tacticooly circumvented.

But now I get it: mostly marketing gimmick with an admittedly interesting but very narrow usefulness (play on words intended) whose application was largely outlined by major metroplitan area lawyers. A solution looking for a problem. That found a certain clientele. Forgive me if I think it will sell best in malls and especially if positioned as "limited distribution" or marked" LEO."

As for that choke, even tanks have used straight unrifled tubes and sabot rounds for decades which is all "Flite" is -- shot loaded into a straight-shooting sabot cup.

Well, the more the merrier.

Now, if you'll excuse me, there's a great new article in Guns & Ammo on which is better, the AR or AK, and in this volume they also discuss the merrits of this new #1 Buck Flite-Control -- right next to a Federal ad with an "operator" promoting it.

Last edited by Gehrhard; December 29, 2011 at 02:34 PM.
Old January 5, 2012, 07:15 PM   #24
Stevie-Ray

Hmmm.....maybe some #1 Buck will make it to the store shelves with this new entry. I've been using expressly 00 Buck, as #1 is next to impossible to find around here.
Old January 6, 2012, 12:53 AM   #25
cheyenne'sfinest

dude.... seriously

gehrhard, you're not very bright are you