The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 9, 2011, 05:28 PM   #1
checkmyswag

First off, you guys rock. Changed my idea on the shotgun.

I was about ready to buy the 870 Wilson Scattergun for around $1000.

I think my desire for the perfect shotgun was trumping my financial responsibility.

So, have changed gears...

With the reduced recoil loads I don't think I need a recoil reducing stock, plus bird shot for home defense doesn't recoil a lot given a proper load. I don't need to shoot slugs, but could if I had to. Again, I'm not super sensitive to recoil, this would be for different family members to use as well.

I can get a new Remington 870 for $270. Mount a decent flashlight on it. Get a side saddle. Possible a sling. Then for less than $400 I'm set on 90% of what I'd like to do with a shotgun.

I won't have the ghost ring I'd like, and I know the 870 express parts are cheaper than a police gun, but I think I'd feel confident.

870 express decent enough to build up?

Reduced recoil loads reduce recoil by how much? (given the same gun/load)

Any ideas on an "affordable" flashlight and mount? Doesn't have to be the forend type.
Old December 9, 2011, 05:50 PM   #2
oldguy870

Good decision. All you need to do to a stock 870 Express is buy a better magazine follower. Maybe a better magazine spring. That is it. Even this recommendation is not 100% absolute.

Forget the side saddle. Forget the sling. You don't need the ghost ring sights. The bead is faster at close range. This is a close range weapon. If you need ghost ring sights, you need a rifle.

The Express does not have cheaper parts. It is virtually the same gun as the Police. The finish is different. The Express actually has a better (polymer) trigger guard. The police has a milled extractor and a couple $5 springs.

Bottom line. A standard Express from Big 5, as it is, is near perfect. You don't have to "build up" anything. Just shoot it. Take a class. If you have to spend $1000 on a shotgun, get three Expresses.
Old December 9, 2011, 06:26 PM   #3
TheKlawMan

I agree that an 870 Express will do fine, but DO NOT use bird shot for home defense. There are plenty of threads about this that yuo can read.

Myself, I got an 870 Express for about $300 last December at a local chain called Big 5 Spoting Goods. That was after a rebate that Remington had and I believe now has gong for the month of December. For an HD gun, I got a version specially made up for Big 5 that came with ann 18.5 inch barrel, a law enforcement speed feeed style forend, and a two round magazine extension. Synthetic stock of course.
Old December 9, 2011, 06:31 PM   #4
TheKlawMan

If you really want that ghost ring, but I think you are better off with a bead, a local chain called Turners was selling the 870 tactical model last December for about $470. That included ghost rings, a speed feeede forend, an 18.5 inch barrel, and a breacher choke which is about as useful is tits on a boar. The good thing about the breacher is that you can remove it and screw in regular choke tubes that will double the effective range of the 870. It has a three round factory mag extension IIRC.
Old December 9, 2011, 07:14 PM   #5
NYCShooter

The Wilson gun is an 870 Express that's been parkerized and accessorized (and marked up accordingly). Just buy this: http://www.remington.com/products/fi...c-7-round.aspx and add a light and a sling (that can be detached), for transport. To bring up to Police standards, change the MIM extractor for the forged version, upgrade to the heavier carrier dog follower spring, and buy an extra power magazine spring (Wolff Gunsprings). These easily replaced parts will set you back about $15. The plastic trigger guard of the Express is more durable than the pressed aluminum of the Police. Both models use the identical sear spring.
Old December 9, 2011, 08:06 PM   #6
lambertsteeth

Nice, level headed decision.

If you really want to feel confident with your new shotgun, put about 1000 rounds through it. Nothing is better than getting to know you will hit your target.
Just use cheap ammo, not buckshot

It's fun too.
Old December 9, 2011, 09:11 PM   #7
checkmyswag

Found a Remington 870 HD at Academy for $270! Nice black finish and nice black handguards. Feels GREAT to have finally come to a decision!

Regular stock, which is fine. Just a bead sight.

5 shot, I think, which is fine, I don't "need" the extension. Will be lighter and quicker without it.

What I'd like is the following.

Would like a light of some type. Maybe a limbsaver recoil pad.
Nice sling, which may require a front swivel of some type.
Side saddle shell carrier.

Now what parts/accessories should I consider? Some of you have mentioned upgrading the spring/follower/trigger guard.

Whats the best resource for 870 parts?

Last edited by checkmyswag; December 9, 2011 at 09:22 PM.
Old December 9, 2011, 11:53 PM   #8
NYCShooter

The 7-round capacity magazine is important for a HD gun and costs only slightly more than the 5-round. In addition, the extended magazine of the 7-round has a barrel/magazine clamp with a sling stud, as well as a sling stud on the stock. The extra length magazine will also enable the mounting of a light.

The forged extractor: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...duct/EXTRACTOR

The carrier dog follower spring (not listed for the 870, but the correct spring is the Carrier Latch Spring for the 1100/11-87) http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...R-LATCH-SPRING

The extra strong magazine spring: Wolff Gunsprings http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%...108/dID216#606
Old December 9, 2011, 11:55 PM   #9
redstategunnut

KISS

In my humble opinion, if the shotgun is for home defense, you really should consider something like this setup:

Spend the money you saved avoiding the Wilson by adding a Surefire fore end light. There is no better method for affixing a light that is useable than this. It costs more than the "just as good as" alternatives, but that is because it actually works, will stand up to the recoil, and has an integrated pressure switch.

Get a single point sling. Just trust me on this, a single point sling on a pump shotgun is a solution; a two point sling on a pump shotgun is a problem. If you get the two point sling despite this advice, just do me a favor and let me know - here - when you realize the mistake.

Don't waste money on a bolt on side saddle. For one thing, you don't need to spend that money. Second, bolt on side saddles can bind the action and they can fall off. Trust me, I've seen both happen. Get some velcro and some shotgun shell trays with the velcro on the back. Much cheaper, no chance of mechanical failure, and you can reload the reloads much faster than inserting shells in the fixed side saddle.

I just ran these guns through a 750 round two day course and can vouch for the setup. Avoid experiencing the failures I observed, generally caused by trying to trick out a shotgun like an AR.

If you don't listen to any of that advice, please heed this advice: shoot only birds with birdshot. Bipods deserve buckshot.

That is all.
Old December 10, 2011, 01:50 AM   #10
checkmyswag

Single point sling does sound nice.

The side saddle does too but understand the concerns.
Old December 10, 2011, 02:12 AM   #11
NYCShooter

You really don't need a sling on a HD gun, except for transport. And, in order to remove the sling for HD use, it should be attached using either mash or snap hooks. For transport, the worst type of sling is the single point (try moving quickly with a sling between your legs). Three point slings don't work with pump guns, which leaves the two point sling as your best option.
Old December 10, 2011, 03:30 AM   #12
TheKlawMan

That Express on sale at Academy indeed is a 5 shot (4 in the mag and 1 in the chamber) but that is all you need for HD. The standard stock pads suck, but you can get a Remington SuperCell for about $20 and it will do fine. It fits without fitting so long as you get the one for a synthetic stock.

Don't forget the $30 rebate on the Express. http://www.remington.com/pages/news-...mo-Rebate.aspx
Old December 10, 2011, 08:21 AM   #13
shortwave

Quote:
You really don't need a sling on a HD gun...
I know I don't.

Took mine off after a course instructor pointed out the possibility of the sling catching on something.
I got thinking it would be my luck, I'd be ducking and dodging in my dark house @ 0200 and sling would snag on a door knob or something yanking the shotgun out of my hands.

For me, the less gadgetry the better.
Old December 10, 2011, 09:49 AM   #14
checkmyswag

Is this eligible for the rebate?

Will hold off on slings. Like most things drawbacks for the benefits. No free lunch.
Old December 10, 2011, 06:09 PM   #15
Lee Lapin

Skipping the Wilson was IMHO a good idea. Some suggestions FWIW-

Light mount - http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-Re.../dp/B0002IO28Q Fits under the mag cap, no alterations necessary. I've been using these since the company sent me a pre-production example to evaluate, and they work well IMHO. I have them on several 870s. I don't like SureFire fore-ends- they work, OK, but they are spendy and don't leave enough room on the forearm for your hand.

Light - TLR-3 from Streamlight - http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-TL...d_sim_sbs_sg_3
Technically it's a compact pistol light, but it works on shotguns too. I have one on a Hawk 981 I put together just to see how everything worked, and it does just fine. It only uses one CR123 battery, as opposed to the two that the TLR-1 uses. But if you'd rather go whole hog, the TLR-1 (http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-TL...d_sim_sbs_sg_2) is a good light.

As advised, stick with a two-point sling/carrying strap on QD swivels. And I like Sidesaddles, have never had any problems with them. Just use blue LocTite on all the screws, especially the little ones.

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old December 10, 2011, 07:29 PM   #16
NYCShooter

Quote:
And I like Sidesaddles, have never had any problems with them. Just use blue LocTite on all the screws, especially the little ones.
I also use sidesaddles and I think that the Mesa is the best of the bolt-on type. The only problem is that they bolt on in place of the trigger pins. This creates a royal PITA when the trigger group needs to be pulled for cleaning, as the sidesaddle obviously needs to be removed and then re-LocTited and re-installed. I wound up removing the Mesa and now use the Velcro carriers from either 3gungear or S&J Hardware.