The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 5, 2001, 10:00 AM   #1
smoney

beretta pintail

ok, so i am kind of new and green to shotguns, i saw a beretta pintail at a local shop for $619

what do TFL members think of them, and their experiences, also how do they compare to like shotguns from benelli?

thaks for all replies!
Old August 5, 2001, 05:01 PM   #2
HarryB

I was looking a Pintail too. I was told the action was the same as a Benelli. It is the hunting version of the 1201 combat shotgun, if I was informed correctlly. It is recoil operated, not gas, so the recoil will be stronger than a gas operated Beretta or Remington 1100 or 1187.
Old August 6, 2001, 05:13 PM   #3
Will Beararms

The Pintail is a Benelli in Beretta Clothing

Beretta owns 60% of Benelli and thus the similarities. I got news for ya-----------------------all of them will break down if they are shot alot. I am 37. I have been hunting since the age of seven and have seen remingtons and benelli's break when subjected to the rigors of hunting flooded timber from chest waders. I have seen Browning Hump backs freeze up but never malfunction. I shot the heck out of a lightweight Beretta 390 one season with narry a problem.

Never worry about the gas mechanism on the Beretta 390/391. They can take a beating and keep on going. The problem with the pintail or the 390 is they don't come in 3.5" Magnum. For me that is no problem since I hunt the dense flooded timber of Arkansas and the 3.5" is not needed.

Bottom line: if you shoot a semi-auto shotgun alot, they will break down--------I don't care what make it is.