The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 2, 2014, 03:12 PM   #1
waltherp88

7.62 HELP

Has anyone used 110 grain 30 carbine bullets in 7.62x25 Tokarev with anything other than Accurate Arms powder because I cannot find any here? Nor can I find any load data for anything else besides Accurate Arms using the 110 grain bullet. What I do have is:
Win. 231
Power Pistol
SR 4756

Also has anyone ever tried a 115 gr. Bayou Bullet for 30 carbine in this caliber? I am trying to reload for my M57 Tokarev and I can't seem to find what I am looking for. Thanks for any information you may have.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:09 AM   #2
jag2

I have reloaded for that caliber but did in fact use AA #5 and like you can't really find any more choices. I'm not familiar with any of your powders except 231. I use #5 for my 9mm as well as 231 so I'm guessing that may be worth exploring, but it is just a guess. I quit reloading that round for 2 reasons. I much prefer shooting my M-1 carbine than my Tok so until the bullet shortage eases up I want to use my 110 grn there. Other reason, it is not the easiest round to reload, with that very short neck it is a little tricky. In hindsight, I just don't enjoy shooting that gun very much so I wish I had spent my money buying a lot of the milsup when it was plentiful instead of buying dies. Only exception, I load a much softer round for a Mauser Broomhandle. Don't feel comfortable shooting that milsup ammo in a 95 year old pistol.
Old March 3, 2014, 11:48 AM   #3
CWKahrFan

http://www.makarov.com/tokloaddata.html

I've only used 85 or 86 gr. jacketed rn bullets loaded mostly with Hodgen's HS-6 at 7.85 gr... They worked fine in both my M57 and my CZ52 and are milder loads than what's in the Polish milsurp that I've also shot through them.

(Load data by weight for HS-6 and Power Pistol is comparable.)

I've also successfully used the same 85/86 gr. jacketeds with 5.1 gr. Hodgen's Universal.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; March 3, 2014 at 12:29 PM.
Old March 4, 2014, 12:49 PM   #4
uncle tim

1952 marked 7.62x25 bulgarian ammo

I bought a tin, Spam Can of Bulgarian 7.62x25 ammo marked 1952. I have fired a few rounds and had one or 2 misfires. I read in a post sometime back that this ammo was too hot for the 7.62 TT-33 Tocharev I have. Would it be possible to remove the bullets, dump the old powder and replace with a new,fresh load and make use of these cases and bullets? I notice they have the military type crimp, the 2 dots.
Old March 4, 2014, 11:47 PM   #5
jag2

Keep doing a little research, I thought those two were correct for each other, but I wouldn't swear to it. The milsup is too hot for the Mauser Broomhandle, that may be what you read. Have you tried pulling one of those bullets? I don't have any now but I remember what they were like. That seems like it would be a bit of a nightmare.
Old March 5, 2014, 09:27 AM   #6
uncle tim

52 Bulgarian 7.62x25

No I have not tried to pull a bullet yet. My thinking was I dump the old powder and charge with fresh. The primers of course are Berdan/corrosive. A friend told me these military type(2 dots) crimps are not easily removed. I just hate that I have 1000 rounds of this stuff and afraid to use it. I have shot several clips of it before learning about it. This round reminds me of 357 magnum as far as recoil. One(did not fire) stuck in the chamber when loaded and I had trouble getting it to eject. The markings on it match the ones from the articles about the bad stuff. I am fairly new to reloading, have a kinetic pullet puller, think I shoudl give it a try?
Old March 5, 2014, 10:41 AM   #7
CWKahrFan

I sold my milsurp 7.62x25mm (around 800 rds.) because it was so much hotter than the new commercial production stuff. I did "blow up" a CZ52 while shooting milsurp but also successfully shot a few hundred rounds through two other guns.

I wouldn't even bother messing with trying to pull and reload it... I've read entries on the net from people who've tried... Lot of troubles... To me, it's headaches and not worth it.

I have reloaded new commercial production 7.62x25... It's not the easiest but do-able.

I enjoyed shooting 7.62x25mm but ended up selling my guns and dies. Later, I bought an M57 in 9mm to "fill that gap".

So I vote for just selling your milsurp...
Old March 5, 2014, 11:23 AM   #8
uncle tim

Thanks so much. You think the TT-33 could hold up to this stuff?
Old March 5, 2014, 11:53 AM   #9
Clark

For 7.62x25mm have worked up loads with 86 and 110 gr bullets, with Starline 7.62x25mm, Starline 9mmSuper comp necked down, and S&B Boxer primer brass, and Polish surplus Berdan brass in the Tokarevs [Chinese, Polish, Russian, Romanian], CZ52s, and C96 Mauser and with:
AA#5
AA#9
LIL'GUN
H110
N105
XMP5744
LONGSHOT
Ramshot Enforcer
Power Pistol

Of the three pistols, the Tokarev is the best.
Of the four types of Tokarevs the Chinese TU-90 hard chrome is the best
Of the four brasses, S&B is the best
Of the two bullets, 110 gr round nose is the best
Of the nine powders, Power Pistol is the best.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assume any liability for any damage or injury resulting from use of this information.

The following is experimental to show the upper limits of handloading. The recoil is so intense, the loads are not practical with Tokarev slide mass and recoil springs. It would split a CZ52 barrel, and would not be that good for a C96 either.

Polish Tokarev:
a) 110 gr Round nose 1.316" OAL, Starline brass 9 gr Power Pistol, zero extractor groove growth
b) 110 gr Round nose 1.316" OAL, Starline brass 10 gr Power Pistol, 0.015" extractor groove growth, primer falls out
c) 110 gr Round nose 1.316" OAL, S&B brass 10 gr Power Pistol, no extractor groove growth
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 5, 2014, 12:12 PM   #10
CWKahrFan

Quote:
You think the TT-33 could hold up to this stuff?
Since you've already successfully shot some through it... probably... But there are no guarantees so I hate to conjecture when there's some danger involved... At least always wear some good shooter's safety glasses.

Here's some old threads you may enjoy:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/show...highlight=cz52

There's a pic of my kaboom in #10 of this one:

Last edited by CWKahrFan; March 5, 2014 at 12:18 PM.
Old March 5, 2014, 12:17 PM   #11
uncle tim

Thanks guys, you been a big help.
Old March 5, 2014, 01:12 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Other than a little labor, you've got nothing to loose by pulling the bullets. Chuck one in your kinetic puller, and see how many wacks it takes.

Then, run one into your press and seat the bullet just a little bit deeper(.1or so), then put that round in your kinetic puller and see how many wacks that one takes. There might be a significant difference.

Seating the bullet a little deeper breaks the seal between the bullet and the case, and often allows for easier pulling.

Don't worry about the primer crimp, you aren't going to be reloading the cases, unless you have a supply of the correct Berdan primer, and the special tools needed for that job!
Old March 5, 2014, 02:46 PM   #13
uncle tim

I am gonna give it a try, thanks so much.